Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Bad Hunting Partners

I had a hunting partner/friend that stabbed me in the back years back, cut him loose. It sucked, but had to be done. Sharing your hunt with friends/family you enjoy being around and making memories is more important than the kill. Sounds like you made the correct choice. good luck finding another partner.
Similar situation,and the hunting was all about Him.No one else was worth his time or effort.
Like others before and probably more to come I left him in the Az. desert and haven't seen him since! 〽💥

20190912_084204-1 (1).jpg

I refuse to hunt with a few people not because of fair share things but because of their conduct, shooting wildly, on private land without permission, and pursuing wildlife across fields in their pickup. And shooting a buck on a doe license (because he allegedly didn't see the nice 4 point antlers).

With the guys I currently hunt with, we discuss fair share before leaving on the hunt and expect payment before leaving camp. Our rules are everyone splits groceries and gas while hunting and gets fair share of all the meat, except if everyone tags out, everyone processes their own.

Been there. I no longer speak to a guy because of his behavior on a hunt. What sucks is our wives are friends. It's awkward at times for my wife. My free time is too precious to spend it with folks like that though.

I wouldn't have tolerated that behavior either. You might find it is harder to sever ties than you think. People like that have a weird way of creeping back into another hunt.

The way people behave hunting is the most true indicator of their true nature. I don't know why that is.

So go hunting with your future in laws BEFORE you pop the question. You will see them for who they really are.

Like in my earlier post, sometimes it is the small things over time that are the most aggravating. Intervene early. Oh yeah that's marriage advice too...

Francis of Assisi had a prayer he wrote, part of which was he "sought to understand, than to be understood."

It's caused me many times to pause and reflect and even inquire why someone is they way they are. It's been helpful, but other times the results were similar to yours.

I think we'd all like the have that one buddy we hunt with for a lifetime, like marriage, but few of us really ever do. Instead people come and go in our travels and we enjoy them while they are. There is sadness in loosing relationships, but often there is no other choice.

Reading some of these stories makes me realize how lucky I've been. My pards and boys have been and are great company...like minded gentlemen, appreciative of the outdoors and respectful of the prey with good common sense bullchit meters.

I have a friend who I met at work that I used to do everything with (camping, mtb'ing, hiking, fishing, hunting, RMEF projects, carpool, he babysat my kids). We even bought our first bows and had them set up at the same archery shop. We both killed our first archery elk (his first elk ever) on the same weekend which included an epic packout. In that same area the next year he said something to the effect of, "This is my favorite thing to do all year." (referring to backpack archery elk hunting). That was almost 10 years ago and it was the last time we hunted together. Even writing this is painful. He went through a rough divorce, and a few years later his Dad committed suicide. I thought hunting would be a good way for him to get away from it all, but he just gave it up. We finally "had it out" a couple years ago after my frustration finally reached its limit. We cried and hugged it out (super uncomfortable for macho guys like us), but it didn't exactly close the rift between us. We still work together and get along ok and occasionally go on bike rides or help each other with little projects, but it's a much more casual relationship - I never depend on him for anything because I cannot deal with the disappointment when he cancels or flakes out.

Like someone else said, you have to hold onto the good memories and let the other crap go or it will eat you up.

Been there... Sad situation. I've has some great hunting partners and some great times. Seems I laugh at the memories of the bad partners the most. One thing I have learned about hunting with other people, "If you have expectations, you set yourself up for disappointment". Before I get a beat down, I'm not saying let people walk on you or use you. It's like anything else, be you and don't let them define you. But it goes both ways.
You can always tell a good friend as he is the one person that when asks to barrow your trailer and you say sorry it has a flat tire, and the friend says, "No problem, I'll go fix it and bring it back to you". And then won't take money for the repair. Something to think on...

Am I the only person that feels like they need a translator every time @squirrel posts?
It is often better to remain silent in the presence of your enemies and appear ignorant, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Or, in the words of my editor friend, write for yourself, let the idiots go back to the funnies for their stories (pictures)

Best partner pic (for the above mentioned)

IMG_0105.JPG

You learn alot about people on a 7 to 14 day hunts with LONGGGG days and drives across the country. I think I have been just surprised how weird some of my friends have become over time.

My favorite hunting partner flops over on me in the night, steals my sandwiches, pees on the cooler, and shits outside the tent. Love him.
Pete Buttigieg ?? I'm sorry

I haven't had that experience exactly but I think getting a new hunting partner or going alone is the right choice. Life is too short to be pissed when you're doing something you love. One of those facebook things said, "just because you lost me as a friend, doesn't mean you gained me as an enemy. I still want to see you eat just not at my table." Getting closer and closer to this in life.

I've had several good hunting partners over the last fifty years. The first test with any partner is are they safe with their firearm? If not,,,I'll never hunt with them again. Then there are so many other things that make it work or not.

I have drifted away from several partners for various reasons. Likely, they drifted away from me as well.

It is my younger brother who has been my partner for the last fifteen years or so. We know each other inside out, can laugh at our mistakes and we each bring something the other is lacking. I have horses, he he 18 years younger and very fit. Between us we have a good time every fall.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back