Caribou Gear Tarp

Backpacking Food

I love these threads so many great ideas, not much to add that I don't do but Im definitely adding bacon to the tortilla/PB and honey!!

I generally pack the same thing day-over-day. It’s monotonous but also predictable and mindless.

Breakfast is a protein shake, Rx Bar or Bobo Bar, and instant coffee. Usually once I’ve reached my first glassing spot.

Lunch and snacks are jerky, Clif bar, 2 Justin’s nut butter squeezes, 3-4 mini Snickers, Bobo Bar, dried fruit and fig bars. Also more coffee. Grazed over the course of 4-5 hours.

Dinner is a 2-serving Mountain House, usually Chicken and Dumplings or Spaghetti, and an emergen-c.

Plus 1 for drink mix masking treated water. I was forced to purify from this mess a couple years ago during a dry summer like this. it wasn’t too bad after I masked with some protein powder and the next day I arrowed a 311” Colorado OTC bull. That water definitely gave me the edge!

E473CF8A-673D-40F2-AC8F-102B3909A2AD.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey Brian How do you like the Grayl water purifer?

I've had a mixed experience with the Grayl. I've used the Grayl for 2.5 years. It's light and simple and quick to use, so long as you can remember not to contaminate the inner bottle with raw water. The issue I've had is that the filter clogs pretty quickly and when that happens, it takes my full 180 lbs of body weight for upwards of a minute to compress it. In my most recent cartridge, I got maybe 30 presses before it really started to resist. I'm blowing out the filter regularly and just can't seem to make it perform the way I'd like. But I do still carry it sometimes when my gravity purifier isn't going to be an option.

Full disclosure, I work as a consultant with Adventure Medical Kits, which markets the RapidPure purifier (which I love).

Yea I have one too and I find the same thing it is convienant though. Ill have to check out that Rapidpure.

On a pack trip I always bring acini de Pepe pasta and a bottle of squeeze margarine. This pasta is like tiny beads and takes up less space. If you carb load before a trip the high caloric pasta will prevent you from depleting your glycogen stores and keep you loaded. I eat tons of this on very physical trips and it is a difference maker. I have been on some intense trips in the wind rivers where I covered a dozen miles in rough terrain every day. I try to put on fat before the trips and eat tons of complex carbs and starchy foods during. Running out of gas two miles from camp sucks and is hard to recover from ESP when you are 53 yo. A basic knowledge of fat. Protein and carb metabolism is valuable.

Anyone do any overnight oats? My wife reminded me about them and I thought it would be a time saver to soak them overnight instead of boiling water. I’m messing with a recipe to get it how I like and to pre package into freezer bags. So far I have oats, a scoop of protein powder, PB2 (it’s powdered peanut butter) and some freeze dried bananas. I may double it up for more calories when backpacking.

Anyone do any overnight oats? My wife reminded me about them and I thought it would be a time saver to soak them overnight instead of boiling water. I’m messing with a recipe to get it how I like and to pre package into freezer bags. So far I have oats, a scoop of protein powder, PB2 (it’s powdered peanut butter) and some freeze dried bananas. I may double it up for more calories when backpacking.

I make them often to take when car camping or on the road for work. Wouldn’t be hard to tweak for backpacking. I have tried all different combos with pb2, cocoa powder, ground flax seed, chia seeds, nuts, dried cranberries, cinnamon, instant espresso powder, etc. Most recipes call for yogurt and/or milk...you could sub in powdered milk to mix it up. If you google or Pinterest, there are tons of ideas.

You people taking bacon, how long does it last non refrigerated? I’m a little excited about the thought of bacon. Pb bacon wraps seems awesome. I’m not that creative with food but the thought of eating all of this freeze dried food makes me sad. I’ll need some real food at some point.
22BCED8F-1F0B-477E-85A3-AFFF3734765C.jpeg

You people taking bacon, how long does it last non refrigerated? I’m a little excited about the thought of bacon. Pb bacon wraps seems awesome. I’m not that creative with food but the thought of eating all of this freeze dried food makes me sad. I’ll need some real food at some point.
View attachment 150754

The best way to make them is on a toasted thin bagel Or English muffin with PB, honey, cooked bacon and vacuum seal them individually. You can even freeze them. I’ve heard of guys eating them for a week long trip but that might be pushing it.

View attachment 150754
Give it the ol sniff test. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Breakfast
two oatmeal packets, one single serving instant Folgers coffee
Lunch
Snickers Bar one, tuna in foil one or Protein bar.
Dinner
One Mountain House, single serving crystal light either lemonade or grape.
if my Mountain house has chicken I will also put in chicken in foil in it also.

I buy everything from the local Grocery Store and Mountain House from Wal-Mart.

Great website for those who want to "make their own" Covers all bases

The aftermath of spoiled bacon will usually offset the effects of Mountain House on the GI system. Except for Lasagna - DO NOT risk Lasagna MH in the same week as questionable bacon. Or Sweet & Sour Pork.

...Or Spaghetti.
...Or Pasta w/Italian Sausage.

Other than that - Good to go! (y)

I put this on another post but my son and I pack 10gals of water and a 5 gallon bucket of food to our deer elk spot preseason. pack In the perishables going in to hunt. Our spot is remote and has no water in dry years which keeps people away. 5 gals of water is 41lbs. The food is prob 15. We eat and drink like kings. It requires an extra day of work but it is worth it. We have some pretty deluxe meals and i prob eat 2500 cal a day. My sone is huge and eats more but it doesn’t matter. He is big and carries 2/3 of meat out which is great for my skinny old ass. He is for rent if anybody is interested.😁 we have been using this system for 12 years an it is hard to beat. We even bring partially vacuum sealed French bread and pack the butter in later. Be careful with foods that don’t freeze well tho. Hang the bucket in tree with chain so animals don’t chew thru. Prob the best part is our packs are seriously lighter when going in. I have eaten too many freeze dried foods and clif bars in my life backpacking and this eliminates that. Hope this helps somebody.👌

Dehydrating your own food is the way to go. So much better than the store-bought stuff.
I'm getting into this now. Used the oven to try it out before I buy a dehydrator and I like the results. Using your oven is going to cost more in the long run than a dehydrator, but the test run seemed like a good idea. Any dehydrator recommendations? Not trying to break the bank but want some features and a few trays.

I've been leveling up my backcountry food the last year+ I'm skewing towards fresher foods for day 1 and day 2 and to me it's been worth it. Some things last longer than you'd think. A little bit heavier but pretty good to do it on the way in if you're ok with carrying it in. To me it's been worth it.

On the later days that's where i'm going for things that are going to be lighter weight. If i'm packing them in the whole time i'm out there, I don't want to carry that heavy weight around each and every step, each and everyday.

Recently, i've also switched to being on 1 ziplock bag of pre-planned food a day. It helps make the complexity of mixing and matching your own meals/plans a lot easier and saves you the time of thinking and messing around when your hunting. Thats one of the advantages of say a mountain house- it's just a bag of food no messing around. When i used to eat an assortment of protein bars and things, it would have been wise to have ziplock bagged those for each dedicated day as well

I'm getting into this now. Used the oven to try it out before I buy a dehydrator and I like the results. Using your oven is going to cost more in the long run than a dehydrator, but the test run seemed like a good idea. Any dehydrator recommendations? Not trying to break the bank but want some features and a few trays.
15983160831425893985991254720711.jpg
This is the one I use. I've got a ground venison, bean, and veggie meal dehydrating right now. 130 degrees for probably 8 or 9 hours. It comes with a plastic mesh screen as well as a drip tray that work really well. No parchment paper, no waste.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back