Wild Game Empanadas

WyoDoug

Oh man did this come out good. I used ground antelope (single grind #10 plate), no added fat and man this turned out good. Next time I am going to add cheddar cheese to it. No cheese this time, didn't think about it. Two ways you can cook these: Brush them with butter and bake or deep fry. Both work.

epinada.png

Ingredients:

Crust:

• 2 1/2 cups Flour
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 4 oz Butter, chilled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes (you can use lard or shortening too)
  • 1 Egg
  • 1/3 cup Ice water
  • 1 Egg, beaten for egg wash
Filling:
  • 1 Large russet potato, peeled, diced into 1/4 inch cubes (you can use canned diced potatoes too)
  • 3/4 lb meat, ground (I used antelope coarse ground on #10 plate, single grind)
  • 2 tbsp Olive oil
  • 1/2 Medium onion, grated
  • 1 Small carrot, grated
  • 1 Rib of celery, finely minced
  • 2 Cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp Chili powder
  • 1 tsp Ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup Peas
  • 3/4 cup Beef broth
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 tsp Pepper
Directions:
  1. To make the pastry dough pulse the flour and salt in a food processor. Add butter, egg and ice water. Pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Shape the dough into a ball. Tightly cover the dough in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
  2. While your empanada dough is resting prepare the filling. Fill a medium size stock pot ¾ full with water and bring to a boil. Add the cubed potato to the pot and boil the potato until tender, about 3 minutes. While potatoes are boiling, brown the beef in a saute pan over medium heat along with the onions, celery and carrots. Once potatoes are cooked drain and add them to the ground beef mixture and cook until beef is cooked through and vegetables are softened.
  3. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon and beef broth to the beef and vegetable mixture, sautéing 1 minute longer until spices are fragrant. Add and peas and simmer over medium heat until everything is well incorporated and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Season with salt and pepper.
  4. Remove dough from refrigerator and divide it into 10 equal part—roughly 2.2 oz each. Roll each piece of dough very thin on a lightly floured surface until you have a circle roughly 7” wide. Working with one prepared dough at a time add a heaping ⅓ cup of filling onto one side of the dough.
  5. Wet a pastry brush with egg wash and dampen the inside ¼ inch edge of the filled dough. Fold the dough in half. Using a fork, firmly press the edges together. Repeat this process with remaining dough and filling and arrange on a parchment lined baking sheet.
  6. Preheat oven to 375°F and place rack into the center of the oven.
  7. In a small bowl mix together an egg with 1 tbsp of water, brush each empanada with egg wash until coated. Bake for 35 min or until golden brown. You can also deep fry at 400 degrees. If you do turn them so they brown on both sides.
I am adding cheese to the next batch I make.

I bet they reheat well boiled in a vacuum bag!
You can also wrap them in foil and warm them up on the dash of the pickup or set them on the radiator while idling. There are many ways to make these. I am betting breakfast empanadas are going to be on my list to try with meat, hash browns, eggs etc. The meat can be wild game, sausage, bacon anything you want to do. This is one that folks should not be afraid to experiment on.

You can also wrap them in foil and warm them up on the dash of the pickup or set them on the radiator while idling. There are many ways to make these. I am betting breakfast empanadas are going to be on my list to try with meat, hash browns, eggs etc. The meat can be wild game, sausage, bacon anything you want to do. This is one that folks should not be afraid to experiment on.
You can also wrap them in foil and throw them in the campfire or wood stove. Just not @OntarioHunter’s campfire! 🤣

My wife and I honeymooned in Argentina and ate empanadas non-stop. They turned out to be a great food to throw in the pack for a hike. I'll be making these!

My wife and I honeymooned in Argentina and ate empanadas non-stop. They turned out to be a great food to throw in the pack for a hike. I'll be making these!
Did you ask what kind of meat they were using or to scared to know 😜🤣

Back