Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

The Unfairly Maligned Jackrabbit and a Few Rules for Cooking it.

RG_Adult_Onset_Hunter

Almost every time I tell someone that I am craving jackrabbit I am met with an expression of incredulous disgust. This look says, “jackrabbit is not meant for human consumption; furthermore, you should probably go to the hospital to make sure you did not catch something”. I’m OK with people thinking that I am a little touched in the head, but it does bother me that people think that jackrabbit is revolting table fare.

I hunt a particular property each year for turkey and perhaps one day a bear. The layout of the property while immense, can make it a tactically demanding place to hunt. I only recently realized that I have never killed a big beard dragger there. A year or two ago, after a failed setup for turkey, I made the decision to stalk a jackrabbit that I had seen on the edge of an alfalfa field about 200 yards away. This stalk took about an hour and a half, and about a half a mile of terrain to hide my approach. I am certain that most people would think I was insane for going after my first jack that way as opposed to just jump shooting it (especially for an animal that some would say is not fit for dog food). But I wanted to get an animal that was totally unaware of the threat.

When I hefted this impressive animal, I immediately knew it was worth the effort. Jacks are way bigger than you ever think they will be. My home state has no closed season on them and no bag limit, but I have a personal cap of 3 a day, because taking more than that seems greedy. The meat has the mahogany color of venison, which brings me to rule number one for cooking jackrabbit.

Jackrabbit is not a chicken, it’s not even a rabbit.
Jackrabbits are hares. I have seen several cookbooks make the mistake of saying that what works for chickens works for rabbits. They then continue to lump jackrabbits into the “fry it like a chicken” group. Unless the recipe is an old-school one that specifies hare, I’d ignore what most cookbooks have to say. Imagine if you took the front shoulder of a deer and cooked it using a standard recipe for chicken, do you think it would come out tasting great, or do you think it would be tougher than your shotgun sling? This brings us to our next rule.

Cook it low and slow.
Take that same deer shoulder and cook it at low temp for a long time. Suddenly all that connective tissue becomes delicious silky goodness. This transformation can’t be rushed. Jackrabbits know that everything wants to kill and eat them. Their defense to this to be ready to bolt at an instants notice. You can practically taste that tension in their muscles. Low heat over a long time (preferably in a moist environment) relaxes that tension in a way that nothing else can. The flavor of a jackrabbit is mild and dark, I’m certain that most people’s bad experiences with jacks is because the meat gets dried out and chewy from being cooked too fast in a dry environment. It’s a hard-working critter that does not have a scrap of fat on them, it’s not a stockyard cow or pig. This brings me to the next rule.

Add Fat
As a chef, I love messing around with jackrabbit because it gives me the freedom to make things that would otherwise be overpoweringly rich. Jackrabbit has ZERO fat on it, which does not mean it should be poorly regarded, it just means you get to control how much fat goes into it. Any fat works: olive oil for slow simmered soups; pork-fat for sausage (jackrabbit makes great chorizo and better merguez); butter for just about any other prep. The point is, you need some fat in the mix to balance the flavor and to help prevent it from drying out.

Recently I killed three jacks on a rainy April day, the rain concentrated them in the small sections of dry briar. Had I decided to break my limit, I would have depleted my ammo before I ran out of jacks. Looking at the meat in my freezer, I can’t help but fantasize about soups, tagines, sloppy joes, biscuits and gravy, souffle, street tacos, and merguez. I’m certain I’ll run out of meat before I run out of good recipes for this high-quality animal.

IMG_6749.jpeg
Braised Jackrabbit thigh in Morel Gravy on fresh southern biscuit. The asparagus let's you know it's spring.

IMG_6746.jpeg
Braised Jackrabbit Merguez meatballs over rice...and yeah asparagus again (my peas crapped out this year).

I told my dad and brother I was looking to hunt and cook a jackrabbit, they gave me the "you're out of your mind" look. Hasn't deterred me, just need to get out and do it

Tularemia is the main reason people don't eat them around here.

Tularemia_Image_1.jpg

Yum, those dishes look amazing! My mom used to make a rabbit confit whenever we were lucky enough to bring home a bunny or two. It was delish! I would think that would also work for leaner jack rabbits as well since you add fat to it and cook it low and slow in it’s own juices.

This little guy was trapped on my patio this morning. Couldn’t bring myself to eat it though...
1590602530225.jpeg

Yum, those dishes look amazing! My mom used to make a rabbit confit whenever we were lucky enough to bring home a bunny or two. It was delish! I would think that would also work for leaner jack rabbits as well since you add fat to it and cook it low and slow in it’s own juices.

This little guy was trapped on my patio this morning. Couldn’t bring myself to eat it though...
View attachment 141767
The Cornish hen of cottontails? 😀

We hunt jacks and cottontails down here in SOAZ. No limits and you can do it year round but we don't start till Thanksgiving morning when the weather cools. We've crock potted, steaked and made burger out of them. Its a dark meat so cook it more like beef or venison. The cottontails we cook like chicken and they taste much better. The jacks have a subtle almost bland flavor profile so like the OP we add fat to it with seasonings. For burger we grind some good smoked bacon with it to about 20%. We have a subspecies here called Antelope Jacks and they can run 8-10lbs on the hoof. First time I saw one running off into the scrub I thought it was a deer.

We hunt jacks and cottontails down here in SOAZ. No limits and you can do it year round but we don't start till Thanksgiving morning when the weather cools. We've crock potted, steaked and made burger out of them. Its a dark meat so cook it more like beef or venison. The cottontails we cook like chicken and they taste much better. The jacks have a subtle almost bland flavor profile so like the OP we add fat to it with seasonings. For burger we grind some good smoked bacon with it to about 20%. We have a subspecies here called Antelope Jacks and they can run 8-10lbs on the hoof. First time I saw one running off into the scrub I thought it was a deer.

There is a limit of 10 per day on cottontail rabbits. Don't want anyone to get in trouble!

You reminded me we have some in the freezer, I'll have to put a meal together now...thanks.

You reminded me we have some in the freezer, I'll have to put a meal together now...thanks.

Check out my stroganoff recipe if you want some further inspiration. Basically any prep that requires a pulled meat is going to be pretty killer.

As to the various diseases for rabbits/hares Tularemia is always a threat, but one that can be handled via careful handling of the animals during non cold months, or hunting during cold months only (afflicted rabbits die off in cold weather). Personally I hunt all the time for them and take precautions against infection (gloves, bug spray). The CDC (as recently some might have noticed) tends to put out decent info on how diseases spread (and of course how to safegaurd against personal contraction).

https://www.cdc.gov/tularemia/prevention/index.html

RHDV does not infect humans (thank goodness), but does pose a pretty major conservation threat. Take the time to read up about it, and perhaps talk to you local Wildlife Resourse departments to see what you can do to help and what is being done to help maintain rabbit populations in your area. My area so far is not affected. In fact, there are more hares than usual this year. But it's best to keep an eye on things.

If I get duck fat, I am doing this in the fall. My goodness that sounds great.

Marinading works too. I have done that, marinade 3 days then bake at 250 for about an hour in the marinade and then fry until browned. Jackrabbit is as tough and wild tasting as you make it. It don't have to be.

Marinading works too. I have done that, marinade 3 days then bake at 250 for about an hour in the marinade and then fry until browned. Jackrabbit is as tough and wild tasting as you make it. It don't have to be.

That's a good call as well. Acids tend to break down that connective tissue the same way low heat and moisture will. Got a favorite prep would you like share?

That's a good call as well. Acids tend to break down that connective tissue the same way low heat and moisture will. Got a favorite prep would you like share?

My Marinade:

1/2 cup soy sauce

3 tsp honey

2 tblsp distilled white vinegar

1 ½ tsp garlic powder

1 ½ tsp ground ginger

¾ c vegetable oil

2 green onions chopped

1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper

½ tsp cayenne pepper (more if you date and wanna knock it up a notch)

Mix ingredients until well blended and put in a plastic zip lock bag. Add meat and seal bag. Put in refrigerator at least 24 hours. Longer it marinades, the more tender the meat.

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Bake meat in glass baking dish with the marinade (dump entire bag you used to marinade) for one hour. Fry in skillet (I use butter) until browned. I sometimes roll in in an egg batter (milk and egg) then flour, then Panko breadcrumbs which I spice up and never really use a recipe. I usually use black pepper, salt and dried, diced onions in bread crumbs.

I also use this on cottontails.

I should add for myself, I only hunt rabbits after the first hard frost and then until March where I stop. I also use gloves to clean rabbits. I got ring worm from them once and don't wanna take chances on worse problems with stuff they might carry including parasites.

When I lived in Pirce, Colo I went out looking for cottontails one time and all I could find was jacks. I'd read that the bigger older ones were tuff so I got a bunch on smaller ones. Took them home and cleaned them and all the livers looked good. baked them in the oven in one of those glass bowl's and spread approcot jam all over them. They were great! Only time I ever went out looking for jacks to eat and no clue why I haven't again. Loved the snowshoes I got in Montana and got a few pigmey cottontails here in Oregon that were resally good!

If i have a favorite game for eating it's mountain grouse followed by ruff grouse.

I never cook one but if I had one to cook I would try browning it just a bit my charcoal or wood fired grill then braising it until it was tender in either stewed tomatoes, creole sauce or onion, green pepper and celery with some sort of stock or water. serve over rice.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back