Daily Snacks/ Meals Bag Dump

EYJONAS!

You know its the dead of the winter when your doing things like this. I've been curious to see or maybe pickup on some new ideas for daily rations/dinner ideas for the backpacker. Here's a little of what I use and go with.
20200222_064948.jpg

Packed tight into a quart size bag the it always comes out to about 1.1- 1.3 lbs for a days worth of food. Add a Mountain House at 6.5 oz. Keeps you under 2lbs for a full day, no matter how hard I try I still can't ever seem to finish a whole day's worth of snacks.

Some things I have added lately.....

Protien Cookies- Pack a little extra calorie punch as well as added protien.
Top Ramen- Not much nutritional value but, sure is nice to have a hot lunch on cold glassing day.
Honey Sticks- A little added lunch for your immune system.
Justin's Peanut Butter Packs- Great calorie addition.

I mainly stick to the regulars besides that bars, fruit, candy, trail mixes, jerky etc.

Dinner is usually either Mountain Houses or sometimes if a lake is in the mix. A few fresh fish with instant mash taters.

Beverages Coffee Packets, Tea, Hot Cider w/Crown 😁 electrolytes packets.

Anyone got anything unique or something to share towards this....... T-minus 206 days till mid September.

Last edited:
You know its the dead of the winter when your doing things like this. I've been curious to see or maybe pickup on some new ideas for daily rations/dinner ideas for the backpacker. Here's a little of what I use and go with.
View attachment 128835

Packed tight into a quart size bag the it always comes out to about 1.1- 1.3 lbs for a days worth of food. Add a Mountain House at 6.5 oz. Keeps you under 2lbs for a full day, no matter how hard I try I still can't ever seem to finish a whole day's worth of snacks.

Some things I have added lately.....

Protien Cookies- Pack a little extra calorie punch as well as added protien.
Top Ramen- Not much nutritional value but, sure is nice to have a hot lunch on cold glassing day.
Honey Sticks- A little added lunch for your immune system.
Justin's Peanut Butter Packs- Great calorie addition.

I mainly stick to the regulars besides that bars, fruit, candy, trail mixes, jerky etc.

Dinner is usually either Mountain Houses or sometimes if a lake is in the mix. A few fresh fish with instant mash taters.

Beverages Coffee Packets, Tea, Hot Cider w/Crown 😁 electrolytes packets.

Anyone got anything unique or something to share towards this....... T-minus 206 days till mid September.
I’d add some Johnsonville Salami if I was you 😂

Tried that....... once. Never again Haha. Hell of a weight loss program though.

I usually end up with 1.5 pounds per day and very rarely eat more than one pound average in a day.

Looks very similar to what I take, I've never done any overnighters just long days and it's plenty to eat and the variety helps to keep it interesting (trail mix is calorie dense but it gets boring real quick.) Sometimes I throw in a couple pb&js too.

Jonas
I bring the same Lenny and Larry’s protein cookie. Usually spread the peanut butter on it and its a delicious snack!
Also take basically the same things as most others.

Flavored Tuna packets
Payday candy bar
Honey stinger waffle
Liquid IV drink mix

Instead of protein cookie I do bars and a protein powder in my drink a few times a week seems to help my tired muscles n recovery from a long day of hiking

Sometimes it's awesome to be a father of young kids to have our grown up guilty pleasures that we can blame on them....I'm all about pizza rolls and chicken nuggets when I have my son for visitations
Oh you bet ........ I'm 100 percent about it

I accidentally ordered a lifetime supply of ProBars so I eat those even though I really want to cut the processed sugars out as best I can. I've discovered Taos Bakes that don't have a lot of that garbage but they're kind of pricey. Jerky ends up in my pack more often than not. Fresh fruit if I can.

Depending of the day, cup-o-noodles may come with me or a sandwich for lunch. I never carry Mountain House or the like. If I'm camped on a glassing spot coffee, tea, or bone broth packets come with me too.

Among other more standard items, one thing I’ve enjoyed bringing was dried fruit. A small bag of dried cherries and mangoes can be good. I also bring single serving packs of meat sticks....from my kids lunches

One year I happened to throw a huge box of honey crisp apples in the truck at the last minute. We all grabbed one and put in with our daily snacks everyday and I’ll tell you what, an apple never tasted so good during the day. Totally impractical in terms of weight and what you get out of it but I would do it again. I just wouldn’t carry enough for 5 days. Eventually everyone started bringing 2 lol. I think we ate 30lbs of apples in a week between 4 guys. Maybe next year I’ll pack in a watermelon. :)

When I'm on the road, I always end up buying snacks I don't eat. I normally run on water, a turkey/ham wrap, chocolate bar and gum for the day. Every couple days I'll head into town and have a massive feast. I always have a JetBoil, soup, mountain house and energy bars in my pack though in case I get stuck somewhere or actually get hungry.

When I'm hunting from home, I raid my kids' snacks!

I really enjoy Peak Refuel dinners and Wild Zora dinners now over Mt House.
My breakfast is always granola in freezer baggie with powdered milk, just add water.
Protein bars, nuts, jerky, m&ms, for snacks.
Lunch is Tuna packets or bagel with peanut butter, crackers.
Carried camp and 9 days food in last year for Sept Elk hunt.

You have forgotten one of the 10 essentials. Tortillas! :unsure: The catch all backcountry bread. Nothing like a good Mountainhouse burrito. Bagels are nice but seem to always take up more room than I want to give up. The smaller 8ish inch tortillas work really well and pack easy. "PB fit" and jelly packets can really hit the spot (backcountry PB&J tortilla sandwich). PB Fit is a healthier powdered peanut butter that just requires a little water to make. It's one of those little things that can make a backpack trip decadent. If PB Fit is not your thing then almond butter packets work really well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back