LIGHTWEIGHT Backpacking...

Sounds like a long way to walk just to BONE a Doe.

What no massage parlors in Boise? :D :D :D

Moosie:

O.K. you've gone through the first step. You probably think you're done and ready bto go, but you're not.

Now put your pack on the living room floor and take out each item one by one and ask yourself "do I really HAVE TO HAVE THIS?".

If you take care of the ounces, the pounds will take care of themselves. Cut the handle off your spoon/fork. Take a smaller pocket knife, smaller flashlight, take fewer extra clothes and make them lightweight. Think ultralightweight, multipurpose, spartan.

You can pack out a deer in two trips and add another day to go back and get your camp. Setup a basecamp at your truck. Pack the deer back to your remote spike camp. Next day, pack the first load of deer back to your truck and spend the night at your truck (that's only seven miles). The next three days are long ones but half of the day you are hiking with an empty pack and when the pack is full you are going downhill. You have to hike back to your spike camp, pick up half of the deer and haul it back to your truck, twice. Then do that again to get your camp.

KC

KC.. thanx for the INFO... UNFORTUNATELy I've been behind schedule all week (MONTH/YEAR :D)

My hunting partner told me the same thing. :( I'll know after the trip what is a waste to bring I guess... BUT, no time to unpack now.... My camocorder went Belly up (Fixing it but it's not back yet :() So I'm that much lighter.....

I brought my pack in the office today and people guessed weights and they went from 60-70, 66lbs, 95, 83, and 65.... Someone guessed well over 100#'s but I couldn't tell if it was serious or not ?!?!?! NAYWAYS, Kind of like 400# bear being seen all the time.... *WINK*.. *SMILE* .. *GIGGLE*....

NO one would have guessed 48#.. I re weighed it here becasue They called BS and it weighed 43# here at the office.... Thats with water. I think I could shave a few lbs off but I'm not that die hard... If I was, I'd of Practiced a bit harder. I figure I got 20 Extra lbs on my belly, SO I should start Shaving them first..

ONE of the best lines I heard was ,

"Why spend $10,000 shaving 5 lbs off my gun when I carry 20 lb's for free around my hips...."

I am gonig to go back out and Learn a bit from this trip but I'll never be a "FANATIC" I won't leave my camcorder behind or only 2 whipes instead of a Toilet paper roll to shave 1 oz. ;)

ALL that being said... It is kind of a challenge and I plan to make a 40# - 4 day pack... And I'll get it by the end of the season... Just in time for Duck seson ;)

I weighed in at 48 Lb's this evening... nOT bad considering Water is about 7.5 lb's a gallon and I have 48 OZ and 36 Oz containers... So thats ... LIKe 5 lbs (Without a calculator
)

I could kill a few more lb's guess... BUT I'll take this trip and Let you know how it works... Hopefuly I don't see nothing worth shooting.. I still don't know how to get it out :eek: :eek:

that weight was the WHOLE chit and Cadudal !!! It only wasn't the cloths/boots I was wearing... ANd the Binocs... I did Sub out rangefinders for Spotting scope and Trimed the socks down to 3 pair
HAHA

anyways..... There ya ahve it folks.. DID n't get any pics.. but after the trip I should have something ?!?!?!?

WEL, It's 1 AM, I'm full of BEER, and I need to get up at 6AM.... Uhhhh NITE !!! :D

I got back today with out any game...But when I did leave, my pack weighed in at 37 lbs....I just dumped it on the scale and it is 68 lbs...go figure...I wonder if it could have some thing to do with the sheds, pretty rocks, old cast iron frying pan lid, and assorted little metal implements that I found around some of the old cabins that could contribute to the weight gain...LOL.. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back