Yeti GOBOX Collection

AZ Mule Deer/Javelina Hunt (pics)

BOHNTR

Just got back from my annual Arizona archery desert mule deer hunt. Since I had a 2010 tag, I headed over a few days early (27th) with the hopes of tagging a buck before the end of the year. After a few close encounters, I ended up arrowing this 24” wide 3x4 on the last day of the season (December 31st). Not a big buck, but a mature deer perfect for the last day.

I also had a 2011 deer tag along with a javelina tag. I only saw two bucks I was willing to arrow on the new tag……especially with venison already in the cooler, so I focused on them. However, one of the down sides of hunting true desert bucks in the rut is you may see a good buck one day and have him checking does 3 miles away for a few days and never get an opportunity to hunt them. Needless to say, I never saw the two big bucks again.

A few days into the January hunt, I spotted a herd of javelina feeding on a cholla filled hillside. I stalked on in and made a good shot on a big boar. What started out as celebration soon changed though? While using my “locking” knife, it collapsed on me and cut me to the bone on my left index finger…….right at the end joint. With blood spurting out a foot away, I knew I had cut something….well, pretty darn good. I got the bleeding to stop, but noticed I couldn’t move the tip of my finger straight position. After some quick field photos with a wrapped up finger I evaluated my situation. To make a long story short, I took a 2-hour trip to the nearest ER and learned I had completely cut the tendon and am now going to have to have it surgically repaired. Oh well, it’s a long way from my heart! :)

So, my trip came to an end a few days early………and those two big ol’ muleys I was hunting will hopefully be there next year. But I’m grateful for what the good Lord blessed me with. Hope you enjoy.

picture.php

picture.php

I've long considered that hunt. 'Twould be fun to hunt deer/javies at the same time. Sorry to hear about your finger. I cut myself pretty bad once on a pheasant/prairie chicken hunt in KS once. I probably needed stitches, but fortunately was able to get by with duct tape. Still bear that scar today.

Sorry to hear about the digit modification Roy, at least it was the left hand! Looking forward to the pics.

Sorry to hear about the slice n dice on your finger. At least you tagged 2 nice critters.

I saw a real nice 3x3 muley with deep forks a few days before Christmas but I couldn't close the gap and then got busted by a doe.

Went yesterday looking for javelina and saw a crazy amount of fresh sign but none of the smelly buggers after hiking about 7 miles. I was supposed to go today, too, but I think I busted my ass yesterday. There's a crack right down the middle...

Thanks guys......just got back from surgeon. Said he was able to re-attach the tendon. I'll be good to go in 4-6 weeks.

You can still go next December right?

I like the way you think Dink.......looks like another end of December trip coming my way! :)

As long as you didn't damage your hat it's all good!!

Sorry to hear about the finger, congrats on the critters though.

Congrats on another great desert buck, and the pig.

Bummer about the finger. Had the same thing happen in Alaska while moose hunting, but lucked out and no tendon cut. But, sure was a mess of gauze and duct tape. After closer inspection, I realized some meat and fat from the moose was in the locking device and when I reopened the knife, it didn't lock completely. First time I put some good pressure on the blade, it folder over, right on my finger.

Hope the repair goes well.

what! no pictures!! congrats on yet another desert buck Roy. And the pig, well i wish it went better for you in the end. Be thankful i guess it was not something else that was cut so severe. I am sure you will use that tag come december.
Hey, what did you think of that weather on the 30th?? was it windy enough for you? LOL

Don't see the pics, but congrats on another AZ archery buck. Sorry to hear about the injury but it sounds like you'll be good to go here shortly.

Thanks guys......sorry about the pics disappearing......the host is this site so I'm not sure what's going on. They appear for me. We'll try this:

Jan2011AZ004.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

Jan2011AZ008.jpg

Mr Consistent man! Congrats on pulling off another successful hunt. These desert bucks are special.

Nice job. Always look forward to your January Arizona and September Colorado posts.

I'm just glad that I can finally now accomplish something Roy can't... Pick my nose!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back