Arizona Elk - God, I love this place!

Thanks fin, much appreciated. Now get hunting, I need something to follow during my mundane workday. These posts are like crack!

Just back froma quick evening scout after picking up Mason. Nothing seen or heard, but found some more cool places to keep tabs on.

Next trip to DQ, strawberry mister misty freeze ( the one with ice cream) and tell them to use sundae sauce not the misty mix.
Good luck on the hunt.

You've done your homework, now go fill that tag! I think I'd be pulling the trigger on the 1st branch antlered 6-by I got a chance at ...

You've done your homework, now go fill that tag! I think I'd be pulling the trigger on the 1st branch antlered 6-by I got a chance at ...

That is what my wife both told me to do. When she talks, I listen.

They've been yodelling since the sun came up. They are about 800 yards of the public. Truly is private, so right now, all we can do is sit, call, watch them and hope they come this way. Right now, they are going away from us, looking for a bed the opposing ridge.

I would shoot the biggest one, for sure. All I need is for him to come our way about a half mile. Some places you stumble into and it is not worth a dang. I stumbled into this place and I think this is where we will be putting in most our time.

Gonna hunt our way back to the truck and do some TV work. Will probably be back here this evening. If this bull comes here, he is a great bull for this unit.

Beautiful morning. Great day to be elk hunting.

I know it's challenging where you're hunting (no kidding), but the rut in Arizona is finally coming around. Got faith you can put a decent bull on the ground --- good luck on tonight's hunt ...

FIn-

Good luck!! Regarding the the ownership maps, I mostly just wanted to give folks in general a word of caution. I'd be interesting in what you hear from G&F.

Lunchtime. Wondering if these rain clouds are going to hit here, or just pass through. A little rain to wipe out old tracks and freshen new ones might be good. Cooler weather wouldn't hurt, either. Thinking since we are only 22 miles away, a DQ Blizzard might be in order before hoofing the hills this afternoon.

I didn't think there was anyone out there that ate DQ Blizzards as often as I do! LOL! Go get yourself a large treat with a lot of chocolate and then work it off by packing out your bull! Good luck, Fin!

Great half hour rain shower this afternoon. Cooled things off. Washed the edge off the old tracks. Now it smells like fresh pinion and juniper. Maybe 60F. Gonna make for some amazing sunset footage.

Took us an hour to hike to the base of this big knob and get to the top. Huge grass meadows up here with tons of elk sign. Doubt many people come and hunt this spot. Road hunting seems to be the method of choice to most. Ask the more reason for elk to be bedded on these steep north slopes and to come out and feed in the big grass benches.

From here I can watch the feeding area below and 800 yards north and 400 yards west. Can also keep an eye on the spot from this morning to see if those elj come over here to the public. Not sure I could race down and intercept them tonight, but would have a good tag on them for the morning hunt.

Sitting here overlooking thousands of acres up public land, it is hard not to think of the fate that put Theodore Roosevelt in the White House 110 years ago, this month. When McKinley was shot in Buffalo, a hunter became President. Over the course of the next seven years, he would add 150 million acres to the public estate. Makes me wonder how he understood the importance those lands would have to each generation of hunters.

However it happened, why it happened, I don't bother myself with. I just give thanks that at that critical point a hunter was leading the country. Time to shoot an elk here on these public lands. Almost my patriotic duty for those who had the wisdom to set them aside so hunters could "enjoy the study pleasure of the chase, whether he is, or is not, a man of means"

Well said Fin. We as Americans, are truely blessed and privleged.

Its just a matter of time before they make the mistake of crossing back over. Keep the posts coming. This darn computer is my first stop every day, usually even before my morning caffeine.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oras
Back