Arizona Elk - God, I love this place!

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Sitting in the Denver airport doing an inventory of what I may have forgotten and praying that my truck and trailer are still in one piece at the Park and Ride near the ABQ airport. Left the rig in ABQ for two days while I flew home to make sure Mrs. Fin was not gearing up for the annual yard sale. She has boxes and boxes of stuff out in the garage, most of which looked like clothing. Since my most important gear is with me, my fear of her making a high dollar donation to Goodwill has lessened.

This year I decided to burn my seven AZ elk points. Not a stellar unit. In fact, one of the easiest units in the state to draw. Most would laugh at me for applying here, but I wanted to come back to AZ and hunt elk. I drew an early rifle elk tag for Unit 10 in 2005 and since then have helped on two other AZ elk hunts. Hunting elk in AZ is addictive.

Uncle Larry, AZRed here on Hunt Talk, had the tag last year. I came down and we filmed that hunt. We had a blast. He ended up with a nice bull that is reflective of what can be expected in this unit. Not huge, in fact some may not even call it big. But, it was time spent hunting elk with dear family, listening to bugles, smelling the Pinyon and Junipers, see new country, and doing the things that make hunting such a memorable time. That hunt will air in a couple weeks.

The gig for this hunt was that the tables were going to be reversed this year. Larry was going to be the helper and me the hunter. He is fighting some recent health concerns, so he is not going to make it. I will miss his laughter, friendship, and world-class stories, all of which are true stories. And, at his request, will ... "Give 'er hell Newhab." Larry and a few other call me Newhab. A name that started when I worked for him while enrolled at Arizona State back in the early 80's.

Hope I can find some elk to film on this hunt. It is more thick PJ country, just like NM, but much flatter. Elk are fare more sparse, and not sure the status of the drought and moisture. Regardless, I am elk hunting, so who cares about the moon, the weather, drought, moisture, terrain, ........ ? Not me.

Have tag, will travel.

Good luck man. I just left N Carolina headed to Gallatin Gateway. I'll spend the weekend in Billings then come on over sun eve. Maybe I could salvage some of your things for ya when I go by. I sent you a pic yesterday my phone wouldn't let me load to site. Did you get it

Good luck man! I see there is a garage sale in the paper at your address this weekend. I just went ahead and called Mrs Fin and offered her $200 for everything to save her the headache. Some nice stuff you got here:):)LMAO

Shoot a big one!

Welcome back to AZ! Now to complete the trifecta you should come back in January for an archery coues hunt. It beats freezing your biscuits off in Montana that time of year.

Have a blast and good luck. My dad just got done with his hunt and did not have much luck. Had a spike at 26 yds on day 1 and passed other than that nothing within range.

Back