Arctic blast

The ole arctic blast had me currently waiting in the airport with four kids. It is not warming up much in Belgrade....

4-8 expected here, 35-50 mph, 10 for a high. Got the plow truck in the shop. Recouping from rotator surgery, wife said she wants to drive, I'll run the plow, see how this works✌

Not near as bad as out west, but here by 5:00pm tomorrow, 6° and -25° wind chill with 40mph gusts. I just blew 5” of snow and now the rain comes this afternoon with a high of 38° and hopefully washes the film of ice off the driveway until the bottom falls out tomorrow afternoon. 14° Saturday pm at 3:00 when we drive the six miles to the kids for Christmas Eve.

Last edited:
I never heard of that, how can that happen?
I’m miffed as well. There’s a few rock chips, but none near the bottom of the windshield where the crack neatly formed along where the defrost vents are. There has been the issue of some condensation forming and freezing inside the car, but I’m not sure how that would’ve contributed. Nor was any present yesterday.

Weird thing was that it happened a good 15 minutes after we’d already had the car warmed up and had been driving around.

I’m miffed as well. There’s a few rock chips, but none near the bottom of the windshield where the crack neatly formed along where the defrost vents are. There has been the issue of some condensation forming and freezing inside the car, but I’m not sure how that would’ve contributed. Nor was any present yesterday.

Weird thing was that it happened a good 15 minutes after we’d already had the car warmed up and had been driving around.
I don’t think it takes much when you’re talking this kind of temperature differential. I’ve been sitting in the car or driving along on a couple of occasions with the defroster on, and there’s just a sudden loud pop and it cracks right across the whole thing.

Stuff just breaks when it’s this cold.

I don’t think it takes much when you’re talking this kind of temperature differential. I’ve been sitting in the car or driving along on a couple of occasions with the defroster on, and there’s just a sudden loud pop and it cracks right across the whole thing.

Stuff just breaks when it’s this cold.
Glad to hear it’s not just us so folks won’t think I’m BS’ing when I mention it!

Was happy it was just the glass when I heard that pop, expected any number of things could’ve frozen and cracked right off.

Wyoming Highway patrol dashcam footage.

Nope. Whiteouts are the worst

Wyoming Highway Patrol dashcam footage.

Went through last year coming back from Washington...Rogers Pass was a white knuckler and now the wife refuses to travel anywhere if it snows. Scared her bad...

Brings to mind one of my favorite cross country helicopter trips, flying from Helena to Corpus Christie during the winter. Luckily I was familiar with the Casper airport, as we had to follow power lines to the runway during a whiteout. Overnight at Casper the air was humid, then went subzero, so the aircraft was covered in a coat of rime ice in the morning. I traded a nice leather handled survival knife to the maintenance guy on the ramp. He ground-handled the helicopter into the heated hanger, while we went to breakfast. When we returned to the airport, he wheeled the warm helicopter out for us to fly out of there ... desiring to head south as soon as possible. He was so pleased with his new knife that we found a plate of doughnuts on the dash. It was good to fly down to southern Colorado's warmer temps that day. The other highlight was great seafood at warm Corpus Christie.

Enduring Mom Nature's subzero temps does take some logistics, warm clothing, and doughnuts help too.
Smile

Went through last year coming back from Washington...Rogers Pass was a white knuckler and now the wife refuses to travel anywhere if it snows. Scared her bad...

I used to put about 1500 miles a month on in WY regardless of the month. The route from Casper to Cheyenne was never fun, especially during the winter months. 180 miles in 6 hours is not relaxing at all.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bonasababy
Back