Arctic blast

Psyched....hit -40.
Now it needs to warm up to today's high of -18 so I can shovel the same areas I cleared out two days ago. Wife's car is trapped in my shop.

Supplemental wood heat is your friend.

I am a soapboxy bastard but one soapbox I will get on is everyone should have a wood stove, if only for a backup.

I know two people right now whose furnaces are down. They are scrambling like hell to not have their homes freeze up. I look at all the houses going up in my neighborhood - million dollar concoctions - and if the power goes out in the winter, they are nothing but giant-cold-boxes-as-liabilities. Someday the power will go out for a while, and a wood stove is insurance on your investment.

Memories : frozen waterbowls and split pipes, gutter cleaner frozen and inoperable, silo unloader frozen and inoperable, tractors won't start, manure spreader frozen and inoperable, etc. Really though, what a great life lesson for a teenager : learn to think and solve problems, work to overcome adversity, no quitting allowed !!
Parking these in the shop at night because they are full of frozen manure coming back in the morning to find the value was frozen in the open position and it drained 3000 gallon of liquid manure in the shop.

img_1530640228205278432.jpg

We were -28 this morning, the wind is now out of the sw, so a corner turned.

I gave the horses extra hay, their water remains unfrozen, I can deal with the rest.

My biggest issue with the temps here in Great Falls is that my truck went to the body shop on Tuesday to get the bumper, tailgate and rear quarter panel replaced where I got rearended by a crack head a few months ago and the rental I got has no remote start or heated seats...yes I have been spoiled by my truck.

My biggest issue with the temps here in Great Falls is that my truck went to the body shop on Tuesday to get the bumper, tailgate and rear quarter panel replaced where I got rearended by a crack head a few months ago and the rental I got has no remote start or heated seats...yes I have been spoiled by my truck.
We took my truck that night because the heater worked , it had studded MS tires on the back and I was the only sober driver in town...LOL

I am a soapboxy bastard but one soapbox I will get on is everyone should have a wood stove, if only for a backup.

I know two people right now whose furnaces are down. They are scrambling like hell to not have their homes freeze up. I look at all the houses going up in my neighborhood - million dollar concoctions - and if the power goes out in the winter, they are nothing but giant-cold-boxes-as-liabilities. Someday the power will go out for a while, and a wood stove is insurance on your investment.
Pretty much sums it up^
I was raised using wood and continued through adult life. One house I built for my family i decided to take a break from the practice, sure enough that also was the house that had the brief furnace issue one mid winter. I also realized I simply enjoy the wood gathering process. Now I relish scavenging jobsite waste...free heat.
Its amazing with a properly insulated house how little it costs to heat in the cold months, supplemental wood heat part of the equation.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back