Arctic blast

51 degrees at noon today, should be 0 by midnight.
About the same here.....zero will be a couple hours behind that. The wife works in the courthouse and they closed/cancelled it YESTERDAY because it was going to be "dangerously" cold tomorrow. FFS At Scheels we have a bunch of folks that came from other stores in the upper Midwest and we just stand around and giggle about the candy-azz-idness of the whole front range. When my kids were in school they would cancel for anything below zero with any wind chill in the morning. My entire life living in the Midwest (IN and MI) the ONLY time stuff was cancelled for cold was a single day in MI when the temp local hit -36f and the wind chill was in the -60 range. I was playing hockey on the St Clair River that day...... 🤣

The person posting on the board who deals with the nastiest winter temperatures is SaskHunter. I grew up in eastern North Dakota and it was far harsher than what Montana has thrown at me. I always knew it was worse north of the border.

I sat on an open cab side boom for a full winter about 20 miles from the Canadian border in North Dakota one year. The humidity in that country with the cold and wind was something I hope to never have to experience again.

Yep, I grew up on a dairy farm west of Duluth MN. Just an all-around miserable place to farm between long and cold winters and poor soils.
Memories : frozen waterbowls and split pipes, gutter cleaner frozen and inoperable, silo unloader frozen and inoperable, tractors won't start, manure spreader frozen and inoperable, etc. Really though, what a great life lesson for a teenager : learn to think and solve problems, work to overcome adversity, no quitting allowed !!

Memories: 1975 MT and -35 for weeks with windchill of -75. Log cabin to live in free and all the water you want in the frozen creek. Nice 2 seater outhouse.
Job shut down due to cold conditions and I headed to my older sisters wedding .
It was a frozen snow mess all the way to Portland and down the coast as far as Sonoma. SLO was a good stop for a day to surf.
It was 75 in Pasadena and I moved to SLO after the wedding.

Been back to MT twice after and it was the memory of that cold that led me to SW NM.

21 this morning at my place and breezy now.

Last edited:
Woke up to a balmy -29 here with a windchill of -44. Cant tell differences at temps these low, i just know when i take a breath i think my lungs freeze

Since we are talking cold, one of my pet peeves, and I have a few, is the wind chill number thrown around like it equals how cold it is.

No one likes wind combined with cold, but for anything mechanical, it is only the temperature that really matters.

The person posting on the board who deals with the nastiest winter temperatures is SaskHunter. I grew up in eastern North Dakota and it was far harsher than what Montana has thrown at me. I always knew it was worse north of the border.
I must say that when the nation wide cable channels were reporting the temperatures in Montana this morning using wind chill I was not all that offended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BearpawNH
Back