Caribou Gear Tarp

Arctic blast

I feel bad for the Montana mule deer. Not only did they get pounded again by long seasons, rifle rut hunt, and heritage muzzy, but now an arctic blast and deep snow. Expecting next year to be the worst year yet.

Our last two winters have been pretty crappy for deer and it's shown this past season. More snow and earlier/later cold fronts. I've seen half the whitetails and mule deer I usually see this past season.

We've gotten stupid amounts of snow in early November three years in a row and this year we hit the -40s mid-Nov as well. Tough life being a wild animal...

I feel bad for the Montana mule deer. Not only did they get pounded again by long seasons, rifle rut hunt, and heritage muzzy, but now an arctic blast and deep snow. Expecting next year to be the worst year yet.
It’s been that way since I was a kid. But yeah next year will be bleak. Bios will still find a bunch of deer somewhere to support their failing management

Hybrids run on gasoline... And EV perform very poorly in cold temps. Their ranges are cut way down due to battery performance and using energy to keep the cabin warm. I presume you can plug them in to warm up off the power grid vs battery if you don't have a garage.

I've never heard of gasoline freezing up, diesel will gel, but not gas. Water in your tank/lines, may freeze but rarely these days with ethanol mixes.
I'll say this; I had an F150 Powerboost (hybrid model) last year and used it to hunt elk in SoCO in some nasty snow. It pulled someone out of a small drainage next to the road, going uphill in the snow. I swear by that powertrain.

Most major operations with diesel equipment will leave everything idling 24/7 below -20. It's no fun being the only mechanic trying to cold start 20 or 50 diesel engines in those temps.
Yeppers,, I was that guy for 5-6 years. First guy out the door and last one in while others have coffee. Got the frostbite on my face to prove it. The other spots are my own doing i love it

Been there also.
Trying to keep water troughs thawed for a few thousand milk cows in these temps is a miserable job. People don't realize that a day of low water intake can change the volume of milk a cow produces for potentially months or until she is fresh again (Has another calf).

Yep, I grew up on a dairy farm west of Duluth MN. Just an all-around miserable place to farm between long and cold winters and poor soils.

It’s been that way since I was a kid. But yeah next year will be bleak. Bios will still find a bunch of deer somewhere to support their failing management
Be fun to be able to hunt their flight paths where they are finding all these deer, it sounds like some mythical Serengeti that the rest of us aren’t allowed into I guess

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back