Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Anybody Buying Yet? Where’s the Bottom?

Question for you guys. My accountant advised me to open SEP-IRA before the end of 2021. I can fund it anytime before April 15. I’ve been waiting because I felt like the market was due a correction. I’m certainly going to wait it out now that we are seeing this sell off. What do you look for when trying to time when to buy in? Any advice on how to structure investments in uncertain times?
I get the impression you're youngish, if that's the case just buy some tech/growth funds, even if it goes does between now and April 15, you've already "saved" quite a bit. Trying to "time" the market almost never works.

I always do my SEP contribution around this time of year as well- I dump it all in at once and buy with every dollar, time is my friend.

Yes, definite arguments for dollar-cost averaging, but also something to be said for maximizing time in the market.

Also- you have to get the money into your SEP before 4/15, but you don’t have to buy anything with that cash if you don’t want (not that I’m recommending that).

SCHB is a good bet.

Last edited:
Question for you guys. My accountant advised me to open SEP-IRA before the end of 2021. I can fund it anytime before April 15. I’ve been waiting because I felt like the market was due a correction. I’m certainly going to wait it out now that we are seeing this sell off. What do you look for when trying to time when to buy in? Any advice on how to structure investments in uncertain times?
don’t think, just buy. In the long term calc, dollar cost averaging over these first few months isn’t going to matter. Only do it if makes you feel better.

I get the impression you're youngish, if that's the case just buy some tech/growth funds, even if it goes does between now and April 15, you've already "saved" quite a bit. Trying to "time" the market almost never works.
41, so not too young. It’s something I probably should have done years ago and I plan to make as large of a contribution as I can each year from here on out. Luckily we’ve always contributed to my wife’s retirement account. We also have other investments.

I’ve been waiting because I felt like the market was due a correction. I’m certainly going to wait it out now that we are seeing this sell off.

If you were waiting for a correction before you wanted to buy, then I'd say your opportunity is here. Generally speaking, the worse you feel about buying, the better it turns out in the long run.

if this is the market day we see over all the increased uncertainty/tension around russia (among a dozen of other things, of course), just wait till russia actually does something crazy, if they do.

Meh. Unless it morphs into something very substantial (unlikely), those types of things are complete non-events with regard to the market. At least in anything more than a 3 month horizon. Could be "buy the rumor, sell the news" in reverse.

Meh. Unless it morphs into something very substantial (unlikely), those types of things are complete non-events with regard to the market. At least in anything more than a 3 month horizon. Could be "buy the rumor, sell the news" in reverse.

exactly. it doesn't matter if it actually matters to the market, that much is clear to me anymore. all that matters is that the market will definitely react. it may rebound from a "minor incursion" rather quickly, or not, who cares. the point is, i'm expecting a decent buying opportunity if so.

i agree with SAJ, the market is overvalued. and after all, it's not the drought the causes the forest fire, it's the spark, sometimes several of them.

Last edited:
The mid-day buying opportunity was a gift- post Friday option expiration and down Friday typically means early selling on Monday- practically textbook. Huge intraday reversal and now up almost 4% in 3 hours. Still oversold conditions, but today makes me a little nervous. Look for more up near term, but I'm staying defensive and will trim on any further rises up 2-4%.

all that matters is that the market will definitely react. it may rebound from a "minor incursion" rather quickly, or not, who cares.
It might drop, it might not. My point was that the market is extremely good at doing the unexpected. A drop is by no means a certainty.

Says the guy after the market close!
I like to refer to myself as "The guy who said you should start to nibble" 4 hours before close.
My current positioning in trading sleeve (which can change on a dime) - Still long everything I added the last couple of days. Looking for follow through tomorrow. Vix still near 30 so lots of bananas to feed Gorilla over the next few weeks. Days like this are historically not bottoms, but in the recent Buy-the-dip environment they often flip market sentiment. Again, looking for followthrough with a finger on the sell trigger.
Longer term view is that 2022 is going to be tough with lots more headwinds -rates, Fed tightening, tougher YOY earnings comparisons, and the normal geo-politics stuff.

Anyone that thinks they can pick market bottoms, please let me know. I can make you a LOT of money if you are right.

What a crazy day
Hope it tones down a bit. The Billy Joel song cripples my thoughts... Though, we did or didn't start the fire?

Ukraine, China, Covid, on and on and here we are... this THE correction? Sure hope not, could have waited until SENS FDA released. I swear, if FDA grants the 180 during this crap... cold water on an otherwise $$$ buster mover...

Last edited:
i wanna see that S&P drop drop drop. go go go baby.

but specifically microsoft too.

don’t think, just buy. In the long term calc, dollar cost averaging over these first few months isn’t going to matter. Only do it if makes you feel better.
This is sound advice. I talked to an investment advisor about this once--is it better to DCA an IRA over the course of the year or put the max in at January of every year? In almost always instance over the last however many decades, putting the max in every January would have won out. The reality is you're going to be dollar cost averaging anyways. If you're investing in your IRA for the next 20 years, you'll be buying in it at 20 different price points. The longer the money is in the market the better off you'll be.

i wanna see that S&P drop drop drop. go go go baby.

but specifically microsoft too.

After Microsoft's report last night, it sure looked like you'd get to buy it down $15 this morning. Guess not! Although with how things have been lately, maybe you'll still get a chance today!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back