Anybody Buying Yet? Where’s the Bottom?

Nice!

When we get into mid March, everyone will feel like a genius and a stock market badass if they look at their 1 year performance.
Ain't that the truth. That's why I make a point to say often, and quite clearly, that I am no experienced investor and I shouldn't be the guiding light for anyone! LOL

It's been like 800 posts since CCL was mentioned? Funny to me that this board could almost be used as a proxy for "meme" stocks. Maybe not a lot of buy-and-hold investors. :)

Anyway, back to CCL. It boosted its junk bond sale by $1b to $3.5B today. And I will bet buyers will be lining up to get it. So it is currently a $35B in market cap co and has raised $11B in debt since the pandemic shut it down. Ugly. Airlines aren't much better. Even if they survive, some of these companies will never be the same.

oh i bet just about everyone who has posted in this thread is also a buy and hold investor. there's just nothing to talk about there: "oh yeah that index fund is up 0.9 more percent! don't lose your panties everyone!" ;)
Yeah, agree. Just interesting as people ask about canabis stocks. Implied Vol on MJ (the ETF) is now 150-200%. I guess you can gamma squeeze a market maker once, but the next attempt is going to be very expensive.

Ain't that the truth. That's why I make a point to say often, and quite clearly, that I am no experienced investor and I shouldn't be the guiding light for anyone! LOL
I was thinking about my post and I should clarify that in no way was I trying to diminish your performance in January or make it seem that you were lucky or anything like that. Don't think it came off like that but I could see how it might have been. You had an awesome first month of the year and my comment was a random thought that I had. Hope you have a great rest of the year!

It's been like 800 posts since CCL was mentioned? Funny to me that this board could almost be used as a proxy for "meme" stocks. Maybe not a lot of buy-and-hold investors. :)

Anyway, back to CCL. It boosted its junk bond sale by $1b to $3.5B today. And I will bet buyers will be lining up to get it. So it is currently a $35B in market cap co and has raised $11B in debt since the pandemic shut it down. Ugly. Airlines aren't much better. Even if they survive, some of these companies will never be the same.
Apple isn't very exciting.

Apple isn't very exciting.
Sure, but you are making my point. On CCL, we were talking about it at $12-13/shr. now it is $21. A GREAT return if you held it that long. But the flash mob has moved on to the next thing. What exactly is your time frame? How patient/impatient are you? When we started, I think some like @schmalts were playing earnings events, so we know his time frame was pretty short.

Note: I still wouldn't buy CCL here for the same reason I wouldn't buy it at $12. Congrats to anyone that held it that long.

Sure, but you are making my point. On CCL, we were talking about it at $12-13/shr. now it is $21. A GREAT return if you held it that long. But the flash mob has moved on to the next thing. What exactly is your time frame? How patient/impatient are you? When we started, I think some like @schmalts were playing earnings events, so we know his time frame was pretty short.

Note: I still wouldn't buy CCL here for the same reason I wouldn't buy it at $12. Congrats to anyone that held it that long.
I bought 500 shares of CCL on 4/1/20 @ $8.68/share.

1,000 shares of AAL on 4/27/20 @ $10.00/share.

My best buy was 500 shares of IPI on 4/27/20 @ 9.04/share.

I've always said I was a better stock buyer than seller. I'm still holding everything.

These are in a brokerage account that I really don't have an intended use for other than investing. No near term need for the money right now, I have a stack of unrealized gains sitting there that I may need to do something about if the capital gain rate really is going to get jacked.

Last edited:
If you bought Apple 5 years ago you'd have a 600% return right now.

If you bought last year you'd have over 120% and a stock split.

Idk that's pretty exciting to me lol
I bought AAPL on 11/05/18 and then again on 12/07/18. Up 170% on the stuff from November and 220% from the purchase in December. Should have bought again in March or April of 2020 but I'm overweight on it now.

I got in it after my son bought it initially on 2/9/18 - he is up 247% since then.

Buy and hold, yeah I do that a little also...

Google bought at $381, now at $2095 ---- 447%
Amazon bought at $585, now at $3286 --- 460%
Netflix bought at $97, now at $564 ----- 477%
Facebook bought at $44, now at 272 ---- 506%
Paypal bought at $29, now at $283 ----- 885%

Yes I have had all of those for quite a few years. I seem to have the long term stuff working the right way, now if I could just figure out my short term efforts, I would be happy.

Sold my one and only stock that I bought last April. Right at 400% should of had bigger balls and went all in, or could of went all in and been feeding my kids spam in a cardboard box🤣.

Is anybody looking to shift their investments based on potential for higher Federal income rates including on long-term gains and the potential for higher inflation rates.

My typical portfolio mix at age 60 is around 45% VTI, 20% VXUS, 25% BND and 10% individual stocks generally from the e-commerce sector. So low-cost funds. I re-balance once a year.

If inflation rises the next few years then long-term bonds have challenges if their rates are fixed. Holding gold does not seem a long term play. Bitcoin seems to require faith is not a flawed system where the available supply could double or the chain fail or forget a password. There are REITs for forests.

For rising taxes, municipal bonds offer some advantage though rates are generally going to be fixed and below commercial rates anyway.

A conundrum. For now, am letting things ride but I am seeing inflation in my supply chain for raw materials and shipping. Seems taxes have to go up and various other mechanisms will be initiated such as means testing for Social Security or finding a way to tax Roths.

Is anybody looking to shift their investments based on potential for higher Federal income rates including on long-term gains and the potential for higher inflation rates.

My typical portfolio mix at age 60 is around 45% VTI, 20% VXUS, 25% BND and 10% individual stocks generally from the e-commerce sector. So low-cost funds. I re-balance once a year.

If inflation rises the next few years then long-term bonds have challenges if their rates are fixed. Holding gold does not seem a long term play. Bitcoin seems to require faith is not a flawed system where the available supply could double or the chain fail or forget a password. There are REITs for forests.

For rising taxes, municipal bonds offer some advantage though rates are generally going to be fixed and below commercial rates anyway.

A conundrum. For now, am letting things ride but I am seeing inflation in my supply chain for raw materials and shipping. Seems taxes have to go up and various other mechanisms will be initiated such as means testing for Social Security or finding a way to tax Roths.
Short answer is No for me. Capital gains rates will probably be increased to the same rate as income. I’m actually fine with that. Would like to see that changed and dividends get paid from pretax income from company so it isn’t double taxed, but hard to say what happens.

You do point out the difficulty in picking a place to put money to work. Lots of risk, but tax-change risk doesn’t seem like a big one.

If you bought Apple 5 years ago you'd have a 600% return right now.

If you bought last year you'd have over 120% and a stock split.

Idk that's pretty exciting to me lol

When I was in college, Apple had just come out with the iPod, which everyone was loving and so I bought 25 shares at about $50. Stock doubled, I sold and felt like a smartie pants. Had I never sold, after all the dividends plus the 2 splits, I would have had at least a 100 bagger and it'd easily be worth 100k plus today... That one hurts...

That's the most extreme example but I've since bought and then sold multiple stocks far too soon. I have quite a few that have gone up 5-10x after I sold. I've learned the hard way that sitting on your hands is often the best thing you can do. Everybody and their dog has been waiting for a correction the past year but thus far, sitting on your hands and letting your winners keep on winning has been the best thing to do. Well besides Gamestop....haha

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back