Anti hunting group buys hunting rights

This has been brought up before. There are legal and tax problems with a .org groups being limited in what they can do and how much money it can spend on certain activities. Individuals don't have these constraints. If you want a PAC for elk-related stuff or hunting I think we would need to find a single org to do that, but it won't be RMEF. Again,hunters have shown to be too disjointed to organize on these things. What are the chances of hunters combining to raise $1.92m to buy these rights? I put the odds are somewhere near 0%.

We can't even get the majority of hunters to buy a $35 membership to groups like this. I'll hazard a guess and say that there are more licenses sold in Montana than RMEF members.

When we talk about rallying hunters to do something we're talking about the minority of the minority. This is why it's imperative that we show up.

Just think if hunters spent their money on conservation instead of taxidermy.

Do it, actually try some mental math on how much that could amount to. But instead we have tens of thousands of damn near identical fake critters hanging in living rooms, entries, and basements. Why?
Taxidermy helps preserve a memory and gives everyone something to look at while you tell the story!

I think it's the same reason you wouldn't donate to a Ducks Unlimited chapter based out of Minnesota...

I think most people would rather donate their money to something that they have a potential to benefit from.

Just think if hunters spent their money on conservation instead of taxidermy.

Do it, actually try some mental math on how much that could amount to. But instead we have tens of thousands of damn near identical fake critters hanging in living rooms, entries, and basements. Why?
Just in that pic I'm counting 32 full body mounts, let's say $5000 per critter. $160,000 taxidermy bill for those folks.

Now say there are 5000 sheep/goats killed in NA every year (WAG) and 1/10 are full and 8/10 shoulder and 1/10 euro.

500x $5000 = $2,500,000
4000x $1000= $400,000
500 x $500 = $250,000

$3,150,000 in sheep/goat taxidermy bills each year.

This is a bit of a new feeling for me. It is usually hunters, not anti-hunters who are the ones responsible for taking away hunting opportunities from nonresidents.

Just in that pic I'm counting 32 full body mounts, let's say $5000 per critter. $160,000 taxidermy bill for those folks.

Now say there are 5000 sheep/goats killed in NA every year (WAG) and 1/10 are full and 8/10 shoulder and 1/10 euro.

500x $5000 = $2,500,000
4000x $1000= $400,000
500 x $500 = $250,000

$3,150,000 in sheep/goat taxidermy bills each year.
i doubt there are 5k killed in NA per year but maybe.

But what about 100k shoulder mount WTs per year? at 350 (?) ea = $35,000,000 pissed away annually.

Last edited:
This is a bit of a new feeling for me. It is usually hunters, not anti-hunters who are the ones responsible for taking away hunting opportunities from nonresidents.
Is it that, or Resident Hunters preserving their hunting opportunities for their families?

I don't feel compelled, or inclined, to sit out a hunting season in my State of Residence while a Non Resident hunts my state as well their home state.

Is it that, or Resident Hunters preserving their hunting opportunities for their families?

I don't feel compelled, or inclined, to sit out a hunting season in my State of Residence while a Non Resident hunts my state as well their home state.
Speak of the devil.

I'm sure would gladly give up your Resident tags to NR's...so who are the lucky NR's getting your Resident tags this year?
I've never advocated to reduce nonresident tag allocations in my state.

I was making a point Buzz, and I am correct.

Typically it is hunters, not anti-hunters responsible for reducing hunting opportunity for nonresidents. You can spin it however you want, but that is the truth.

Typically it is hunters, not anti-hunters responsible for reducing hunting opportunity for nonresidents. You can spin it however you want, but that is the truth.
Sure, and rightfully so.

I'm curious how much advocating you've done to increase NR opportunity in Idaho, or whatever state you're a Resident in?

So what?

That's why they win and we lose...but, but, but...it was _______________(fill in the blank org or individual) that gave them the money.

Lots of rich hunters, but again, unless there's something in it like a governors sheep tag, they won't, and don't, cut the checks.
Rich hunters have their own land...that is why :)

Sure, and rightfully so.

I'm curious how much advocating you've done to increase NR opportunity in Idaho, or whatever state you're a Resident in?
Buzz, look bud, you can deny that you haven't been instrumental in decreasing nonresident opportunity in your state if you'd like, or sugar coat it or whatever. I'm not a resident of Wyoming. You all can do what you want. But I rightfully pointed out that hunters are more responsible for reducing nonresident hunting opportunities than anti-hunters. This is a fact.

And since this conversation was pulled by your opinion that hunters are selfish tightwads because you can't raise corner crossing money: Have you ever considered that fundraising might be hard for Wyoming BHA because you're the one in charge of it? Have you ever stepped back and wondered how much better off the organization would be without the person at the helm being someone who is so condescending to hunters, especially NR hunters? Have you considered that perhaps making it a lifelong goal to limit, minimize and shrink WY nonresident hunting opportunities might have a detrimental effect on your fundraising for corner crossing? Have you considered that maybe not all hunters are tight wads, but that they realize if they don't have a WY hunting tag in their pocket they don't have to cross any corners on WY public land?

I get that corner crossing has implications for other states and places, and I hope the whole fight ends up with precedence that applies to federal lands, but some do not get that. Maybe have a little come to Jesus with yourself, your methods, your abrasiveness and how it may impact your fundraising efforts. Perhaps it isn't that all hunters are selfish tightwads except for you.

The first thing to go is always NR opportunity and rightfully so. It’s a privilege not a right to hunt as a nr. I truly feel blessed when I set foot in another state that the residents of that state allow me to partake in their opportunities. The whole nr vs r thing is so overplayed and worn out. We are all NR in 49 other states. It’s a balance but @BuzzH is right on this one. Residents will always take priority. I don’t get why people don’t get that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back