Anti hunting group buys hunting rights

U.S. hunter based conservation organizations are not internationally vested. We lose a large $ coffee when contending with Yvon's Amazon to the Nile river eco-enviro global tithe collection, so to speak.

As presented above Bass Pro dwarfs Patagonia. Here's the difference...
1704916228351.png
I disagree with the globalist bla bla bla... there are a ton of huge companies in the hunting space that for their size and profits don't do jack for conservation.

Per the 990s Ben asked for Bass Pros charitable contributions have largely been to fund their aquarium, with scant going to other orgs ( in comparison).

I'm not saying that Yvon is a saint and Bass Pro sucks, folks can do what they want with their money, all I'm saying is here is the reality. When folks in the hunting community ask why they lose well... because other folks care a whole heck of a lot more.

Imagine for 2 second if the Wilks bros cared as much about sheep as Yvon does about Grizz. Each of the bros is worth more than Yvon.

Hard pass on that. Why do people want that? Sounds like hell.

i'm not sure many people do. some really aren't bad. but boy, the horror stories are very true and very rampant.

i'd place mine in the mostly not bad category. and when they're not bad, they're a pretty solid insurance premium to pay on keeping your home value better than it might otherwise be, among other things.

Also I'm not trying to hate on Johnny Morris, I'm just using him as a foil to Yvon to demonstrate how all in Yvon is, Morris contributes a heck of a lot more than I do lol

I'm not saying that Yvon is a saint and Bass Pro sucks, folks can do what they want with their money, all I'm saying is here is the reality. When folks in the hunting community ask why they lose well... because other folks care a whole heck of a lot more.

though, ben's point was something i've never considered and was really enlightening.

the simple user base to draw funding from....

even if 80% of hunters were to put their money where their mouth is it would still likely pale in comparison to say only 20-30% of the general climate change/anti trophy hunting/vegetarian/vegan folks people putting their money where their mouth is.

and if the figures are actually like 1-2% from each group(s) putting their money where their mouth is, which may very well be true, we're obviously screwed.

maybe to a degree everyone is a tightwad and we're just a minority cause.

though, ben's point was something i've never considered and was really enlightening.

the simple user base to draw funding from....

even if 80% of hunters were to put their money where their mouth is it would still likely pale in comparison to say only 20-30% of the general climate change/anti trophy hunting/vegetarian/vegan folks people putting their money where their mouth is.

and if the figures are actually like 1-2% from each group(s) putting their money where their mouth is, which may very well be true, we're obviously screwed.

maybe to a degree everyone is a tightwad and we're just a minority cause.
Try to use your post to get back on track.
Both Patagonia and Bass Pro are private companies so they don't have to answer to public shareholders on what they do. I think part of the issue is Patagonia is drawing from a much larger and more diverse demographic base. See retailer locator below They also don't have "anti-hunting" as a sales motivator. In contrast, Bass Pro is serving a pretty narrow segment. A person is limited in where they can buy a spinner bait or duck decoys without going online. There is also an advantage for some groups. It is easier for Humane Society to to sell not being cruel to animals than it is for us clowns to sell "shoot them in the fuggin head".

@Sytes made some good points, even if I can debate a lot of what he said in the post (Fed vs states as an example), but he said "We are a country of hunters..." And I wonder, are we really? We are a country build on hunting/trapping (selling beaver and bison products to Europe) and we still support hunting, but hunters are easily the minority. It is hard for a company that is trying to sell a wide range of products to a wide range of people to do something like claiming to be for something that serves a narrow subset and is in any way controversial. North Face or Nike isn't going to be pro MMA fighting. You see companies try to walk this line all the time. This is just a continuation of tribal bullshit America has become enamored with. You have to pick a side, for or against everything and retailers are trying to avoid doing that publicly. Private owners can do whatever they want and a lot do. They just do it under the cloak of a non-profit. Koch brothers do the same thing in a different arena. Hunters are disorganized and largely not billionaires.

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 12.19.58 PM.png

”… hand me another Busch light and bring that ham salad back out of the fridge!”
”…okay here you go bud, would you like to contribute $1,000.00 to potentially have access to hunt an area of British Columbia that is barren of big game, other than grizzly bear. Also, we will likely never be able to hunt there in our lifetime?”
*crickets*
”ARE YOU A HUNTER OR NOT!?!”
*throw busch light at your friend*

”… hand me another Busch light and bring that ham salad back out of the fridge!”
”…okay here you go bud, would you like to contribute $1,000.00 to potentially have access to hunt an area of British Columbia that is barren of big game, other than grizzly bear. Also, we will likely never be able to hunt there in our lifetime?”
*crickets*
”ARE YOU A HUNTER OR NOT!?!”
*throw busch light at your friend*
Want to make sure no one "trophy" hunts there...

Try to use your post to get back on track.
Both Patagonia and Bass Pro are private companies so they don't have to answer to public shareholders on what they do. I think part of the issue is Patagonia is drawing from a much larger and more diverse demographic base. See retailer locator below They also don't have "anti-hunting" as a sales motivator. In contrast, Bass Pro is serving a pretty narrow segment. A person is limited in where they can buy a spinner bait or duck decoys without going online. There is also an advantage for some groups. It is easier for Humane Society to to sell not being cruel to animals than it is for us clowns to sell "shoot them in the fuggin head".

@Sytes made some good points, even if I can debate a lot of what he said in the post (Fed vs states as an example), but he said "We are a country of hunters..." And I wonder, are we really? We are a country build on hunting/trapping (selling beaver and bison products to Europe) and we still support hunting, but hunters are easily the minority. It is hard for a company that is trying to sell a wide range of products to a wide range of people to do something like claiming to be for something that serves a narrow subset and is in any way controversial. North Face or Nike isn't going to be pro MMA fighting. You see companies try to walk this line all the time. This is just a continuation of tribal bullshit America has become enamored with. You have to pick a side, for or against everything and retailers are trying to avoid doing that publicly. Private owners can do whatever they want and a lot do. They just do it under the cloak of a non-profit. Koch brothers do the same thing in a different arena. Hunters are disorganized and largely not billionaires.

View attachment 309688

My comment relates to the dynamics between Patagonia's international presence for raising eco-enviro $ and every Patagonia item purchased directly contributes funds opposition of State management of predators i.e Yvon Chouinard's anti "Trophy Hunters" griz global video, financially supporting ballot box biology including CO State wolf reintroduction, etc. The "dynamics" are International funding vs National funding and they are drastically different!

An example of getting into bed with Yvon Chouinard / Patagonia, they are a LEADING supporter of mountain bikes in the mountains. Their market caters towards these people. If it feeds their sales - they sell.

Feel good story... one of many that lead people to believe and continue their support elsewhere Mountain bike trails suppoorted by and enhances trout fishing(???) But hey, it's Yvon Chouinard! It's Patagonia!:

The Pisgah Paradox​

Kristian Jackson / Jan 31, 2022 / 10 min read / Mountain biking

In North Carolina's Pisgah National Forest, a collaboration between anglers and mountain bikers uses better trails to create healthier rivers.​

Notice: This is Patagonia's European outlet for media release. Not specific to only U.S..
Continued example that BHA supporters will not appreciate though it is what it is... Yvon Chouinard sells his beliefs... of which some align with U.S. hunting interests though by his actions promote division as BHA supporters then oppose content that relates to Yvon Chouinard... dismisses, blind eye, whatever you wish to call it. Oops... guess I lost a few more blue thumbs for this comment though that falls right in line with this intent. ;)

Hunting and more specifically - firearms i.e. "Having a glass door rifle case in the living room??? How dangerous Government would never allow in our country! A rifle over the fireplace?!??" "State management is the evil spawning of "Trophy Hunters"" (Yvon Chouinard), etc: Internationally, a vast array of countries are unable to comprehend life in the U.S.. Our "Rights" born from countering the leadership methods these eco-enviro supporters live within. There is a drastic difference. With that, when those international flyers are sent to subscribers of Patagonia, Earth Justice, GreenPeace, Defenders of Wildlife, etc... Internationally, shock and incredulous appeal opens wallets.

Example:
International flyer used pointing the finger at the U.S.. why? IT MAKES $$$.

Again, IMO, if U.S. hunt supported conservation groups collectively joined forces, we would not have a box full of city slicker ballot biology that not only gained a win in Colorado, rather gained a huge win to enhance/increase ballot box biology elsewhere.

Yvon Chouinard sells his beliefs... of which some align with U.S. hunting interests though by his actions promote division as BHA supporters then oppose content that relates to Yvon Chouinard... dismisses, blind eye, whatever you wish to call it.
Rich people can do whatever they want with their money, be it Chouinard or the Koch Bros or George Soros. We effectively live in a plutocray because individuals and the smaller orgs they support can't join forces because they can't agree on anything. 99.9% of the hunters couldn't tell you who Yves Chouinard is, but a much higher % will rant about some states' management decisions on baiting or tags. Montanan's will practically storm the capital over a proposed $5 increase in a deer permit fee.

I don't like the news, but for some reason I am less outraged by this org buying the hunting rights than I am about Vail Resorts trying to build employee housing on big horn sheep wintering grounds. Neither affect me. I can't really explain it other than by saying I am a conservationist before I am a hunter. Internally conflicted maybe? 🤷‍♂️

Difference maybe, I'm a hunter who is a conservationist...

There are many fights out there though my comment does not relate to a strawman debate for Vail Resorts vs funding eco-enviro.

My comment relates to the means internationally funded eco-enviros influence U.S. State conservation management.

Rich people can do whatever they want with their money, be it Chouinard or the Koch Bros or George Soros. We effectively live in a plutocray because individuals and the smaller orgs they support can't join forces because they can't agree on anything. 99.9% of the hunters couldn't tell you who Yves Chouinard is, but a much higher % will rant about some states' management decisions on baiting or tags. Montanan's will practically storm the capital over a proposed $5 increase in a deer permit fee.

I don't like the news, but for some reason I am less outraged by this org buying the hunting rights than I am about Vail Resorts trying to build employee housing on big horn sheep wintering grounds. Neither affect me. I can't really explain it other than by saying I am a conservationist before I am a hunter. Internally conflicted maybe? 🤷‍♂️
This.

Imagine if there was a national elk .org group that would focus on access and habitat and also was involved in local and state management issues. Imagine if that same group would also partner with local hook and bullet groups. Probably could get a lot of good done.

Notice: This is Patagonia's European outlet for media release. Not specific to only U.S..
Continued example that BHA supporters will not appreciate though it is what it is... Yvon Chouinard sells his beliefs... of which some align with U.S. hunting interests though by his actions promote division as BHA supporters then oppose content that relates to Yvon Chouinard... dismisses, blind eye, whatever you wish to call it. Oops... guess I lost a few more blue thumbs for this comment though that falls right in line with this intent. ;)

Hunting and more specifically - firearms i.e. "Having a glass door rifle case in the living room??? How dangerous Government would never allow in our country! A rifle over the fireplace?!??" "State management is the evil spawning of "Trophy Hunters"" (Yvon Chouinard), etc: Internationally, a vast array of countries are unable to comprehend life in the U.S.. Our "Rights" born from countering the leadership methods these eco-enviro supporters live within. There is a drastic difference. With that, when those international flyers are sent to subscribers of Patagonia, Earth Justice, GreenPeace, Defenders of Wildlife, etc... Internationally, shock and incredulous appeal opens wallets.

Example:
International flyer used pointing the finger at the U.S.. why? IT MAKES $$$.

Again, IMO, if U.S. hunt supported conservation groups collectively joined forces, we would not have a box full of city slicker ballot biology that not only gained a win in Colorado, rather gained a huge win to enhance/increase ballot box biology elsewhere.
1704990713474.png
1704990724547.png

You just changed which website you are viewing... it's the same on the US?

"...glass door rifle..." what are we talking about?

What is this fixation with international conspiracy or whatever? It's a big US based company, who does the majority of it's business in NA.

Certainly Yvon has is own politics just like everyone.

The original tangent was non-hunting conservation orgs provide a higher percentage of charitable of contributions versus their revenue/profit than hook and bullet do.

I don't know that I disagree with what your saying so much as deeply confused on how we got there and why you thing it's relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
This.

Imagine if there was a national elk .org group that would focus on access and habitat and also was involved in local and state management issues. Imagine if that same group would also partner with local hook and bullet groups. Probably could get a lot of good done.
This has been brought up before. There are legal and tax problems with a .org groups being limited in what they can do and how much money it can spend on certain activities. Individuals don't have these constraints. If you want a PAC for elk-related stuff or hunting I think we would need to find a single org to do that, but it won't be RMEF. Again,hunters have shown to be too disjointed to organize on these things. What are the chances of hunters combining to raise $1.92m to buy these rights? I put the odds are somewhere near 0%.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back