Caribou Gear Tarp

Anti hunting group buys hunting rights

Bigjay73

Interesting - it yeah; I agree. I had that on my list for “When I have the time and have killed all the sheep/other things hitlist

Falconer says the acquisitions allow Raincoast to protect wildlife while “lighting a path” to the development of an ecotourism economy “not dependent on killing and extracting things.”

Lol.

ecotourism is an impact and extracts from wildlife. Plenty of work out there showing that recreation is a major impact to wildlife security and may lead to increased risk of predation due to lowered body condition of young animals heading into winter months.

So. They have that going for them. Which is nice.

i dunno. sure don't like it. but kinda sounds like willing seller/willing buyer, right?

can't imagine being a guy/group that sells out on something like that though. i guess if the price is right...

Looks like a good place for DIY resident BC hunters to hunt now.😁

"The Raincoast Conservation Foundation says it took two years to raise $1.92 million to buy the 18,000-square-kilometre tenure off commercial hunting operators"

Commercial bear viewing is much more lucrative than commercial trophy bear hunting anyway according to the smart people at Stanford U.

"A Stanford University study conducted in 2014 in the Great Bear Rainforest found that grizzly bear viewing produced 12 times the revenue, employed 27 times more people, and generated 11 times more economic benefits than bear hunting. Bear viewing has continued to grow exponentially since then."

It says they have been purchasing commercial hunting tenures in this area since 2005. I wonder how much commercial hunting has been occurring, especially since they lost grizzly hunting in 2017? I don't think this purchase affects resident hunting. I also noted in the accompanying video that black bear hunting has been banned for 2 years (beginning in July 2022) in a portion of the forest.

Last I heard, BC was in the process of developing a grizzly bear management plan ("stewardship framework"). There was concern from anti-hunters that hunting would return as management tool under the proposed framework. I'm sure there is plenty of fundraising occurring on this premise, whether realistic or not.

This is interesting. As a free market capitalist (until the Colorado General Assembly bans capitalists), I generally support willing seller/willing buyer. Will resident BC hunters still be able to hunt this property? Would the commercial hunting rights only apply to non-residents? For American hunters this development only reinforces the need to protect our public lands and ability to hunt on said public lands.

This is interesting. As a free market capitalist (until the Colorado General Assembly bans capitalists), I generally support willing seller/willing buyer. Will resident BC hunters still be able to hunt this property? Would the commercial hunting rights only apply to non-residents? For American hunters this development only reinforces the need to protect our public lands and ability to hunt on said public lands.
Non residents have to hunt with an outfitter in BC. This Foundation is buying up commercial outfitter concession, and has bought up several other concessions already. BC is a step ahead of Colorado when it comes to political insanity, and I don't see it getting better going forward.

This is not the first area that has been purchased like this. At this time it doesn't affect residents (at least at face value), and since the loss of grizzly bear hunting in 2017 there is virtually no noise being made on any of these purchases(not there had been much before.)

BC should be looked at as the testing board for everything coming to hunting near you in the future. The current climate is no budget for the wildlife branch, limit the ability of biologists to drive the system, push science out of decisions, limit the input of hunters, etc and all the while resident hunters sit and watch it all dry up while fighting over the remains. There is some hope with some of the groups in BC but their ability to directly affect change just seems very limited. We are just slowly losing more and more and more. This is on top of all the other issues affecting BC's wildlife of all kinds. If you want to have a what the hell moment look at a road density map of this province and you won't believe it. Throw in the logging we do on top along with all the other basically wild west resource extraction we do and its shocking we have any wildlife left actually. Anything to keep grade 10 educated people at a 30 dollar an hour mill job it seems.

I would keep on going but i think i need an outside break. Its just a sad plight we have hear and it feels like we are the test bed for the future of North Americas wildlife and habitat. At least south of the 49 when wildlife/hunting issues come up there are calls to action and hunters show up. Here not so much, something comes up and you're lucky to have 5 people show up...................

No one really cares about wildlife in BC it seems.

This serves as a friendly reminder to support organizations like Meateaters Land Access Initiative, and Trust for Public Land...

The current climate is no budget for the wildlife branch, limit the ability of biologists to drive the system, push science out of decisions, limit the input of hunters, etc and all the while resident hunters sit and watch it all dry up while fighting over the remains.
Was this copy/pasted from the Montana Mule Deer thread?

Non residents have to hunt with an outfitter in BC. This Foundation is buying up commercial outfitter concession, and has bought up several other concessions already. BC is a step ahead of Colorado when it comes to political insanity, and I don't see it getting better going forward.
I wish we could buy up commercial concessions in Wyoming.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back