Antelope...finally

BuzzH

Never quite had an antelope hunt like this one.

Started out on Friday and the weather was absolute crap for hunting antelope...fog and no visibility. Pat and I saw some good bucks but never got any shooting during the couple hour window we had to hunt.

So, we decided to not hunt antelope on Saturday, so I went deer hunting and saw a bunch of deer and even more elk. I passed on a couple bucks in the 140-150 range, hoping my remaining day of deer hunting tomorrow will pay off. I did manage to take 2 mule deer does on my type 6 tags, so that worked out.

Today we decided to try antelope again and from daylight until about 9 a.m. the weather was again rough. Temperature was 14 degrees, snow and fog. The fog lifted and almost immediately Patricia and I started seeing a lot of antelope. While we were glassing a buck walked right past us and Pat decided it was a good buck. She got a good rest and made a great shot at 279 yards with her ruger #1 in 25/06, breaking the shoulder and anchoring him right on the spot.

IMG_3109.JPG

A photo with Pat and I with her buck, not your typical antelope hunting weather.

IMG_3113.JPG

After we took care of Pats buck we continued to look over a bunch more right before another snow storm set in. I found one buck that looked promising so I decided to make a run at him. They bedded at the top of a sage brush draw and I slipped into about 60 yards. I could see 3 decent bucks, including the one I wanted to shoot. The trouble was I couldnt get high enough to shoot over the sage at the bedded buck, so I took a chance and raised up just a bit and let him see me. A doe to his left stood up, and he stood up just a second later. I quickly took the shot at 60 yards off-hand and hit him just right. He ran a short ways and I could see blood pouring out of him. A second later he pitched over.

I'm happy with this buck, one of the better bucks I've ever shot. His circumference is 6 5/8 his second mass measurement is 6 7/8...despite being only 14 inches long. I scored him at 80 5/8 gross. If you measure the mass just above the prong, its 5 1/8...but where the actual measurement is taken its only 4 3/8. Shows the importance of having the prong higher on the horn. Story of my antelope hunting life...close but not close enough.

Still I'm wayyyy happy with this buck, and way better than I expected on a second choice tag.

IMG_3125.JPG

Another look:

IMG_3140.JPG

One last one of Patricia and I with my buck:

IMG_3154.JPG

Very Nice, I always enjoy the stories of you and your wife hunting together. I'm jealous! Is that the Elusive Artic Antelope????? WTG, John

Man that looks cold! You both got great bucks, congrats!

Sounds like you've got some skinning, cutting and wrapping ahead of you between the antelope and deer you got thos weekend.

That does not look like antelope hunting weather, yick. WHat are the prongs are your buck?

Both are sweet bucks. Dam mass gets you there every time.

Very cool hunt, Buzz. Congrats to you and Pat. That is a smoker buck on any tag, let alone a left over tag.

Marksmanship runs in your family..heckuva shot your wife made. Good bucks and story, congrats.

Very nice!!! Congrats on some good bucks. Did the two of you forget the other pronghorn hunting partner due to weather??

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back