Yeti GOBOX Collection

Another Which Cartridge Poll

Which cartridge for an all purpose rifle for my sons?

• Total voters

Gerald Martin

I know it’s been hashed out a lot but I am looking for some opinions to see if I am making the best of a good decision.

These rifles are going to be used by my two sons. My intention is to buy them a good all purpose rifle that they can use for deer, elk and antelope in that order.

Both of them are relatively experienced shooters but not high volume.
They shoot my 30-06 with confidence and accurately.

We prefer to shoot monolithic style bullets with Barnes TSX and Hornady GMX bullets our current bullet choices with my rifles.

They will be shooting factory ammo.

400 yard practical maximum distance.

Deer, elk and antelope is going to be the most pursued quarry.

Here are the rifles I am choosing between. 5BDE6104-1573-451B-A8A6-BCA8EFE95619.png90A4E070-AA69-4AF8-ADB2-ABEB49CD5507.png0886FE81-44C7-4C22-A4FA-2499AD878227.pngBC4D10D7-61B3-498D-A605-312B0EAE85C7.png

If you were buying for your sons would you choose this rifle in 7mm-08 or 7mmRem Mag?

One son is 14 years old, 140lbs. My other son is 16 years old, 170lbs.

Let me know your thoughts…

I think a 7-7.5lb scoped 7mm Remington might have a little more bark than most young people can handle and keep good shooting habits. Hell most grown men would develop bad shooting habits from one. I’d go 7mm-08 although I’m not sure what the selection of mono factory ammo there is for the 7mm-08. I’d have no problem taking a 7mm-08 to 400 or farther on elk. Been there done that.

I think a 7-7.5lb scoped 7mm Remington might have a little more bark than most young people can handle and keep good shooting habits. Hell most grown men would develop bad shooting habits from one. I’d go 7mm-08 although I’m not sure what the selection of mono factory ammo there is for the 7mm-08. I’d have no problem taking a 7mm-08 to 400 or farther on elk. Been there done that.
I’d agree with this. They won’t ever tell you the recoil is a bit much, but I’d think it would be. I vote 7-08.

If they are comfortable with your 06 then maybe they would shoot the mag just fine. But with the 7-08 comes 2” less barrel and a short action ilo long action. A lighter, easier to carry firearm with easy recoil will make life sweet.

The 7-08 has performed well for us on mule deer and elk with my very small boys, one of which is very recoil sensitive.

No comparison. Like a 22 rim fire to a 220 swift. The same caliber but that's where it ends.
7mm 08 is practically a 308, a 7mm RM is almost a 300 win...
Agreed. That is why I would vote for the 308. Huge variety of factory loads to choose from that you find everywhere. I have had really good success with a 165 gr TBT that I can get 2820 fps out of my 22-in 308 and maintain 0.8 MOA. Easily takes elk at 400 yds and deer to 600 yds. Pretty mild recoil.

Does anyone have concerns about a 7mm 08 retaining enough velocity to reliability expand a 140 grain monolithic bullet at 300 yards and beyond?

Also with a 9.5 twist what would be the most stable range of bullet weight?

If I dropped to a 120 grain TSX for the 7-08 would it still be adequate for elk @400?

Does anyone have concerns about a 7mm 08 retaining enough velocity to reliability expand a 140 grain monolithic bullet at 300 yards and beyond?

Also with a 9.5 twist what would be the most stable range of bullet weight?

If I dropped to a 120 grain TSX for the 7-08 would it still be adequate for elk @400?
A 140 TTSX starting at 2800 is still going over 2100 fps at 400 yds.

I voted for the 7mm-08, but I'd actually go with a .30-06. You already have one, they already shoot it well. You only have to buy one kind of bullet or ammo (hopefully). I know not all rifles shoot the same with the same ammo, but I shoot a 270 and bought my son a 7mm-08. Kind of wish I just bought him a 270 because buying two kinds of ammo is more of a pain than I imagined. Just a thought.

Hey @Gerald Martin I am going to go against the grain and recommend the 7mm mag. Personally, I just think it would be cool to give our sons a rifle that covers, essentially, every North American hunting scenario they’re likely to encounter. And the magnum they can confidently use for everything from antelope to moose. It’s perfect for elk. That’s what my dad did for me 30 years ago with a 7mm Wby. And I’m still carrying that rifle around. Those 7 magnums aren’t plinkers, of course, but I began shooting it when I was 12 and smaller than your boys. It was fine. They’ll fall in love with their Howas, I’m sure, either way!

I voted 7mm Mag as its the rifle my son (he's 13 yo) and I use with great success. However, mine is suppressed.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back