PEAX Equipment

Another Which Cartridge Poll

Which cartridge for an all purpose rifle for my sons?

• Total voters
Does anyone have concerns about a 7mm 08 retaining enough velocity to reliability expand a 140 grain monolithic bullet at 300 yards and beyond?

Also with a 9.5 twist what would be the most stable range of bullet weight?

If I dropped to a 120 grain TSX for the 7-08 would it still be adequate for elk @400?
A TTSX or E-tip both require 1800 fps. I own both, lots of extra powder and recoil in the mag, 400yds and in no real functional benefit.

For everyone voting 30-06, unfortunately it’s not an option for this particular brand and model. Available calibers are 6.5 Creedmore ( marginal for elk) , 6.5 PRC (minimal selection of factory ammo and availability) , 7mm-08, 7mm Rem Mag, .308 and .300 Win Mag. ( too much recoil in a 7 lb rifle)

I intend to top this off with a 4-12x40 scope. Probably a Leopold Freedom. I am not interested in the CDS with this model since it doesn’t have a lock to keep the dial from spinning. I would consider a ballistic plex style reticle.

To make matters even more complex, I am hoping to upgrade my own rifle after I recover from this hit to my wallet. I have been thinking that a 7 mag was probably going to be my go to cartridge since I am going concentrate on elk with a mountain style rifle.
Decisions. Decisions…. Sweet misery.😄🥵🤷‍♂️

A TTSX or E-tip both require 1800 fps. I own both, lots of extra powder and recoil in the mag, 400yds and in no real functional benefit.
I’m trying to anticipate the felt recoil for a 7mag in a 7 lb. rifle.
The comparison they have for experience is my .270 @ 7lbs. and my 30-06 @8 1/2 lbs.
I think my .270 feels like it kicks harder than the 30-06.

I have a feeling this rifle in 7 Mag is going to be pretty stiff.

For all practical purposes, I am probably splitting hairs here.

I’m trying to anticipate the felt recoil for a 7mag in a 7 lb. rifle.
The comparison they have for experience is my .270 @ 7lbs. and my 30-06 @8 1/2 lbs.
I think my .270 feels like it kicks harder than the 30-06.

I have a feeling this rifle in 7 Mag is going to be pretty stiff.

For all practical purposes, I am probably splitting hairs here.
Here’s 270 with 130 grain. 7mm Remington with 140 and a 30-06 with 180 grain. I picked same powder for all three to make comparison as close as possible
22CDF0A4-33DE-44F3-8AC2-0A708008EA6A.jpeg
A6383F38-AF35-423A-ADC1-52A5EAAE72B3.jpeg
64D86C14-ED7B-49D4-AD2C-D6C3C7E2C4D5.jpeg

I voted 7mm-08. I bought a Rem 700 from PTG for my kid. The plan is to shoot monos out of it as well. I wouldn’t hesitate a 400y shot with a 140g.

Does anyone have concerns about a 7mm 08 retaining enough velocity to reliability expand a 140 grain monolithic bullet at 300 yards and beyond?

Also with a 9.5 twist what would be the most stable range of bullet weight?

If I dropped to a 120 grain TSX for the 7-08 would it still be adequate for elk @400?
Id have no problem shooting an elk with a 120 grain tsx. Seen it done with a 120 grain ballistic tip and there was no drama.

With Monos and a 9.5 twist I’m betting 145 is about as much as you can get away with. I’d lean towards the lighter weight bullets

Personally, if I had to choose one cartridge to hunt with for the rest of my life, it’d probably be a 7mm Rem Mag. I have one that’s pretty light (about 8 pound w/ scope) and to me the recoil isn’t bad at all. However, it seems like the 7mm-08 makes more sense for your boys and the intended application. This is like choosing between peach and apple pie.

Personally, if I had to choose one cartridge to hunt with for the rest of my life, it’d probably be a 7mm Rem Mag. I have one that’s pretty light (about 8 pound w/ scope) and to me the recoil isn’t bad at all. However, it seems like the 7mm-08 makes more sense for your boys and the intended application. This is like choosing between peach and apple pie.
Mmm, pie. With Tillamoook ice cream.🤑

Thinking this through a little further, I have to be honest that I am hoping this could potentially be a legacy gun that they might use to introduce their loved ones to shooting and hunting.
I don’t want to limit their ability to kill elk at their effective range, but the reality is if their range expands to long distances in the future, a lighter weight rifle like this is going to be as much of a limiting factor as the cartridge would be.

The balance has always been weighted towards the 7mm-08 in my mind, but I am appreciative of all the opinions given.

I will probably let them read through this thread and let them pick for themselves.

I started shooting a 7mm mag at 13 years old. It’s still my primary gun. I’ve killed antelope, deer, and elk with it. The recoil never bothered me.

@Gerald Martin do you handload at all? Plan to in the future? I know you wrote that you’d be shooting factory loads, but the 7mm-08 would be wicked with 131 grain Absolute Hammers.
I agree. I am not saying hand loading isn’t an option but I haven’t gotten into it yet and don’t see it as a high probability in the near future.

You aren't raising a couple of sissy boys Gerald, get em 7 mags! You should approach Dinkshooter for his opinion on the most powerful 7mm known to mankind.

I started shooting a 7mag as a big 12 year old and developed a bad flinch, disliked shooting that rifle, and it held back my progress as a hunter and shooter for years. Yeah it's a great chambering, everyone is different, and I'm clearly soft, but I betcha I'm raising a few more wimps who'll outshoot 95% of HT by the time they leave my house.
Again, nothing wrong with burning more powder and enjoying the performance benefits, but it got me a sore shoulder and bad shooting habits for most of my teenage years. Sample of one.

7mag. If you have both in the safe and was going elk hunting, which would you chose?

I got a 7mag when I was 15 and killed a lot of animals with it, including about a dozen elk over the years. I mostly hunted deer and antelope with a 243 though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back