Another Which Cartridge Poll

Which cartridge for an all purpose rifle for my sons?

• Total voters
I have a Weatherby Vangurd (Howa) in a 7mm-08 for my son. The only thing with his is it has a 20 inch barrel. I reload and that gun is perfect for a kid. I actually want to get myself a 7mm-08 because of his rifle. It’s light recoil and shoots very well. He put 100 rounds in a group the size of a baseball at 100 yards last year getting ready for his elk hunt. The rounds were over the summer and we kept all I his targets for an ego boost.

I have contemplated building a 280 AI for myself or a 7mm-08 because of the way his shoots. I can’t say enough how impressed I was with that round for a kid and how manageable the recoil was. I am sure he will have that rifle for life and he took his elk with it last year.

I try and stay away from a brake. I don’t like the blast and I am worried about hearing loss from it. There is no arguing that the 7mm would be a better LR shooter ballistically but I am predominantly a archer and muzzleloader. Getting in close is half the fun for me and my son looks like he will be the same.

It seems to me like the right combo of weight, quality, and function and the affinity my boys have for Howas after hunting with Randy back in 2017.

Truth be told if this rifle was offered in .270 that would have probably been my preference.
I love ya Gerald but I think you might be over thinking it. Say you were shooting a 140 mono in the 270 instead of 7-08 or 7mag…400 yds or under the difference in velocity for all three is functionally insignificant in terms of performance…edited to add: in my opinion. 🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
It is interesting to me that I see multiple people on this thread who have commented that they wish they hadn’t been exposed to the recoil of a 7 Mag as a young shooter, but I haven’t seen any comments from people saying they regret not having more energy and recoil.

These rifles are threaded so a brake is definitely an option but I hate being around a braked rifle. I was standing too close to @theat when he shot a bull with his .300 RUM several years ago. My ears hurt for days.

It is interesting to me that I see multiple people on this thread who have commented that they wish they hadn’t been exposed to the recoil of a 7 Mag as a young shooter, but I haven’t seen any comments from people saying they regret not having more energy and recoil.

These rifles are threaded so a brake is definitely an option but I hate being around a braked rifle. I was standing too close to @theat when he shot a bull with his .300 RUM several years ago. My ears hurt for days.
Wife and I have killed quite a few cows and couple bulls with 7mm calibers. Hers being a couple with 7mm-08 and mine was 7mm-08,280 ackley,7mm saum, 7mm Remington, 7mm mashburn, 7mm stw. They all have done the same thing. 10-20 yard stumble and fall from 30 yards to 480 yards. Kinda same as when we’ve killed them with other calibers too

Edited to add the bigger 7s did have more thump sound when hitting the animal but never produced a quicker kill. Fastest kill I’ve ever seen on an elk was a 257 weatherby and a 100grain tsx.

Last edited:
I would get them the 7-08 and let them practice a lot and build their rifle skills. The 120gr TTSX will be plenty out to 400 yards.

Hmm. That a tuff one. I don’t have an 08 but have heard lots of great things about them. That being said, I bought a rem 700 awr last year in 7mm. I noticed immediately that it was noticeably less recoil than my 300 and even my wife shot it well and didn’t mind the recoil. If they handle a 30-06 well, a 7mm should be no problem. I’m sure the 08 is great too though.

You could put a suppressor on the 7MAG, and that would be the one I’d choose as an all purpose 1 gun quiver given those choices. Faster, flatter, bigger projectiles, less drift…

For what it's worth, you're not going to make it any more dead by adding more powder. A 7mm through the lungs is a 7mm through the lungs. Increasing velocity by 200 fps and increasi g bullet weight by 10 or 20 grains isnt going to give you a larger kill area. IMO go with the lighter, easier shooting rifle, and practice practice practice.

For what it's worth, you're not going to make it any more dead by adding more powder. A 7mm through the lungs is a 7mm through the lungs. Increasing velocity by 200 fps and increasi g bullet weight by 10 or 20 grains isnt going to give you a larger kill area. IMO go with the lighter, easier shooting rifle, and practice practice practice.
But what if your gun is powerful enough to kill with a near miss?

I want maximum vortex, hydrostatic shock, knockdown, rip yer arm off with a near miss power…😏

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back