Another Which Cartridge Poll

Which cartridge for an all purpose rifle for my sons?

• Total voters
@BuzzH, just curious what bullet you’ve had success with at longer range with the 7mm 08 for elk. My brothers looking at getting one.
140 accubond.

Shot through this cow, broke ribs in and out at 620:

DSC00699.JPG

My brother shot this bull at 468 with the same rifle slight quartering away:

DSC00064.JPG

Recovered bullet, 140 accubond from that bull:

DSC00238.JPG

I know it’s been hashed out a lot but I am looking for some opinions to see if I am making the best of a good decision.

These rifles are going to be used by my two sons. My intention is to buy them a good all purpose rifle that they can use for deer, elk and antelope in that order.

Both of them are relatively experienced shooters but not high volume.
They shoot my 30-06 with confidence and accurately.

We prefer to shoot monolithic style bullets with Barnes TSX and Hornady GMX bullets our current bullet choices with my rifles.

They will be shooting factory ammo.

400 yard practical maximum distance.

Deer, elk and antelope is going to be the most pursued quarry.

Here are the rifles I am choosing between. View attachment 191960View attachment 191961View attachment 191962View attachment 191963

If you were buying for your sons would you choose this rifle in 7mm-08 or 7mmRem Mag?

One son is 14 years old, 140lbs. My other son is 16 years old, 170lbs.

Let me know your thoughts…
Tell em you know people and expect the dilly, er Randy discount

I have been contemplating the Newburg 2 Howa in 7mm-08 but am liking the idea of the 1:8.5 twist that Ruger has on it's 7mm-08 offerings. Will decide when I actually go to buy later in the fall.

I chose 7mm-08 as it can do what I need within 400 yards without the extra cost and recoil.

It is as always personal preference.

That said the 50 BMG video was very interesting.

It’s a shame they don’t off that in 280Rem, 284Win, 280AI or 7SAUM. Neither of those two choices is high on my list of 7mms.

Between the two, 7-08 if want him to own it and be pleased with it for many years to come.

Your /06 is 8.5#. This Howa will be a pound lighter and kick much more. Even the 7mm08 will be a nuisance toward the end of a 20 round range session. The issue isn't if they can handle a cartridge. It's whether they can handle an appropriate weight of rifle for the level of cartridge desired. A 7mm RM ought to more than that Howa in my book. How much does weight really matter when you have teenage boys to carry it for you?

Also, there gets to be an issue of keeping track of the status of a number of rifles. Do you really need more than what you already have per hunt? Or can you zero what you already have to the shooter who has the tag?

7mm08 isn’t a popular cartridge here, so I can always get you ammo if your local shelves are bare. 7mag is harder to find and more expensive. If you go that route I would also look into hand loading.
Hello. I have been looking for months for 7mm-08 ammo locally and nothing except Barnes vor-tx for $55/box. Any suggestions or places to check? I am located in the rural northeast and we don't have any sportsman stores other than dick's which is just about useless these days. Thanks

Thread update. I ended up placing an order with Sportsman’s Warehouse for two of these rifles in 7mm-08. They were due to arrive at the end of August.

About three days after the due date I got an email stating they had canceled my order due to lack of inventory and too much interest.😡🤯
Insult to injury was the fact I had already bought three boxes of ammo since it’s been difficult to find.

All the other calibers were still available so I placed another order for two rifles in .308 since I figured that was the closest ballistics and recoil of the options available.

These rifles were due to arrive this week.

On a whim, I stopped by my local Sportsman’s Warehouse on the way home from work the other night.

Long story short they had three of these rifles in 7mm-08 in stock when I arrived. When I left their supply was significantly diminished and I had two happy sons when I got home.

Now on to mounting some scopes and getting them sighted in. 😄

Hello. I have been looking for months for 7mm-08 ammo locally and nothing except Barnes vor-tx for $55/box. Any suggestions or places to check? I am located in the rural northeast and we don't have any sportsman stores other than dick's which is just about useless these days. Thanks
Have you tried the Barnes and found them wanting or just looking for something different?

I wish I could help, it’s a locality driven supply. I got burned on the last two folks who asked for help. Unfortunately there won’t be a third.

I have not tried them. $55/box seems pretty steep but I realize that these are strange times we are in. I may have to try them if nothing else.
I also forgot to mention that the Barnes are 120 grain. I have previously shot 139/140 grain in my 7-08 so 120 grain seems pretty light but maybe that's not a big difference? Thanks again

Where in VT are you?

Thread update. I ended up placing an order with Sportsman’s Warehouse for two of these rifles in 7mm-08. They were due to arrive at the end of August.

About three days after the due date I got an email stating they had canceled my order due to lack of inventory and too much interest.😡🤯
Insult to injury was the fact I had already bought three boxes of ammo since it’s been difficult to find.

All the other calibers were still available so I placed another order for two rifles in .308 since I figured that was the closest ballistics and recoil of the options available.

These rifles were due to arrive this week.

On a whim, I stopped by my local Sportsman’s Warehouse on the way home from work the other night.

Long story short they had three of these rifles in 7mm-08 in stock when I arrived. When I left their supply was significantly diminished and I had two happy sons when I got home.

Now on to mounting some scopes and getting them sighted in. 😄
Nice score. Ready for the opener I hope?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back