Another Which Cartridge Poll

Which cartridge for an all purpose rifle for my sons?

• Total voters
Hmm. That a tuff one. I don’t have an 08 but have heard lots of great things about them. That being said, I bought a rem 700 awr last year in 7mm. I noticed immediately that it was noticeably less recoil than my 300 and even my wife shot it well and didn’t mind the recoil. If they handle a 30-06 well, a 7mm should be no problem. I’m sure the 08 is great too though.
The only thing is that AWR is 8.5lb or so scoped. A 7lb 7mm has a lot more snap on the recoil vs the push of a 8.5lb 7mm.

The only thing is that AWR is 8.5lb or so scoped. A 7lb 7mm has a lot more snap on the recoil vs the push of a 8.5lb 7mm.
Good point. That’s with a bi-pod on the front too. Although my 300 is similar weight and setup. I’ve found that a bipod definitely helps with recoil with that added weight on the front half.

Do you mind telling me your gun set up?
Here is my rifle. Definitely not as new looking now!

I don't think it matters much on the killing end. What do the boys want?

Make sure it's a rifle that they want to grow into. Part of the fun of owning your own specialty hunting rig is to become a master with it, and to grow with it. If they're 14 & 17, then this is likely the rifle they'll use until they can afford their own. I still have the first bolt action my father gave me, and it'll never get sold.

So take into account the heirloom factor on top of everything else. I think if you let them decide, that rifle will be more than just a tool to harvest game with, it will become a family member that they create fond memories with.

And a P.A.S.T. recoil shield negates recoil, which you're really only going to feel at the bench.

So take into account the heirloom factor on top of everything else. I think if you let them decide, that rifle will be more than just a tool to harvest game with, it will become a family member that they create fond memories with.

Which is why a walnut stocked Model 70 chambered in .270 is the correct answer.

I'll take my leave before I get booed out.

I am surprised Panda didn't elaborate as she has experience with a multitude of 7's. 7mm, 7-08, 7x57, 7wsm, 275 H & H

My answer to you sir, is either/or. I am in the same weight class, and have no problem with the 7mm and if this rifle is a 'forever" rifle, it will give them a bit more on larger animals. However having said that the 7mm-08 has taken Elk, Moose, and Bear in my presence, but I was not shooting the rifle. But my point is, it is enough gun for North America and with less recoil. If this rifle is to be handed down to their children which one of them might be female, I would opt for the 7mm-08 and if somewhere along the way they hunt Africa, they can buy another gun to go with their 7mm-08.

I have two sons, 13 and 15. The 15 yr old is 6', 140 lbs, the 13 yr old is 5' 94 lbs. I originally bought them a 7mm-08. Turns out it was a POS. Bought them a 7MM RM. They both used it last year with great results across the board, antelope, MD, WT and elk. It does have a muzzle brake. Was a little concerned the younger boy would have issues with the punch but that has not been the case. Was going to get them another but a few weeks ago my father officially retired his 1970 Rem 700 BDL in 7MM RM and gave it to them. The older boy likes the nostalgia of a walnut stock, the younger likes plastic so all are happy.

Which is why a walnut stocked Model 70 chambered in .270 is the correct answer.

I'll take my leave before I get booed out.
You will not get booed from me. i get it ,,,and I get the other side of the coin. I have "two pairs" of hunting rifles. One pair traditional, one modern.

The traditional pair are both model 70 Winchesters,,,both CRF, one pre 64 the other later. The newwer one is in 6.5x55. Almost 7 pounds. The older one made in 1952 before Wincheters WW2 era equipment was getting worn out and a lot of thier expert machiinists retired is in .270. Almost 8 pounds. Both have restored low fixed weaver scopes on them

The modern pair,,,, are both stainless synthetic stocked with match grade barrels.

One a Sako 75 Finilight Carbine ( 6 1/4 pounds) in .308 with a 2 -7 power Leopold untra light scope on it.

The other modern one a Kimber Hunter in 280AI, 5 3/4 pounds with a 2.5 to 8 Leupold scope on it.

All of them shoot sub-MOA. The 6.5x55 and the .308 I consider deer rifles. The 270 and 280AI i used for elk. What I use that day depends a lot on weather.. If it is real sloppy wet, rain snow, I pick a modern rifle. Blue sunny skies, I use a traditional rifle .

The steeper and rougher the climb I lean towards the lighter rifles,,,but not always.

Some days not matter what, even at 73 years old I cannot help grab my Old Model 70 in .270. I have worn all the checkering smooth with my own hands. Same with the blue-ing.

One day some younger fellow picked it up and commented on how heavy it was.

I looked at him and said' "It ain't heavy, it's my brother"

He did not understand what I meat by my saying that, nor would he, could he ever understand what it means to go afield with the most legendary hunting rifle ever made in America,,,,chambered in the most legendary, non miitrary, hunting caliber ever made in America too.

That old heavy rifle makes me feel young and light.

Mustangs Rule

Some of the comments on this fool are great. My two favorites were

“Next episode; calling in an air strike on a rabbit”

“Talks about the importance of accuracy. Misses.”
What is really disturbing is the fact that this awful video got about 5.5 million views. There are only 11 million hunters left in the USA now.

imo, .270, less recoil. i have killed a grizz, 9 elk, and 2 hundred deer with it. 150 grain pi. #2 .308. Tikka tx3 would be my choice of rifle new with a 4x14 scope minimum. when needed in any hardware store you can buy .270 and .308, good luck with exoctic ammo on a hunt in a pinch.

Have had three magnum rifles in my lifetime. one 7mm Rem Mag and two 338 Win Mags. I will never shoot another mag any bigger than a 22 mag RF! I was young in those days with my magnums and had to shoot a lot just to keep a handle on the recoil. At this point in my life a magnum is no longer desired! If your hunting what can a magnum say 7mm Rem Mag do that a 7mm-08 cannot also do within reasonable range?

For everyone voting 30-06, unfortunately it’s not an option for this particular brand and model. Available calibers are 6.5 Creedmore ( marginal for elk) , 6.5 PRC (minimal selection of factory ammo and availability) , 7mm-08, 7mm Rem Mag, .308 and .300 Win Mag. ( too much recoil in a 7 lb rifle)

I intend to top this off with a 4-12x40 scope. Probably a Leopold Freedom. I am not interested in the CDS with this model since it doesn’t have a lock to keep the dial from spinning. I would consider a ballistic plex style reticle.

To make matters even more complex, I am hoping to upgrade my own rifle after I recover from this hit to my wallet. I have been thinking that a 7 mag was probably going to be my go to cartridge since I am going concentrate on elk with a mountain style rifle.
Decisions. Decisions…. Sweet misery.😄🥵🤷‍♂️

If you think the 6.5 Creedmore is marginal for elk, the 7mm-08 is pretty much it's ballistic twin. Depending on the factory ammo you buy they can go back and forth on which is more powerful.

I went through this process trying to decide on my son's first real rifle and ended up with the 7mm-08 and he has successfully harvested an elk with it but it is not a 7mm Rem Mag.

It all comes down to preference and how well they can shoot that rifle. One nice thing about nice rifles, if you end up not liking it you can always sell it for close to what you paid for it. (Or you can just have a bunch of rifles in your safe).

I'd have to look to be sure, but I believe I've killed 17 elk with a 7-08 from a close of about 50 yards to just a tick over 620.

I've also shot a bunch with a 7 RM, probably 15 or so similar ranges from a close of 25 yards to right at 620.

I haven't noticed a thin dimes worth of difference between shooting one with a 7-08 VS shooting one with a 7 RM.

I can say for 100% sure I enjoy shooting the 7-08 wayyyy more than my 7 RM. Enjoyable rifles to shoot, get shot a lot more. More shooting equals better shooting. Better shooting equals better shots on game.

This one is a no-brainer...just picked up 7-08 #4 a few weeks back, and like the rest its a shooter right off. 3 shots to zero, then 2 one inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards with cheap hornady factory ammo.

As others have said, if you're worried about all copper, I think there are two solutions:

1. Hand loads will get you to 2800 easily with a 140...likely better.
2. Drop to 120's and you'll have all you need for anything up to 400 or maybe even a bit further.

Due to considerable influence from hand-me-down Field and Stream and Outdoor Life magazines I saved money from digging ginseng and bought a Ruger M77, MK II 7mmRM when I was 13. I wanted to be ready for any big game in North America... 28yrs later it's still my go-to rig, though I did re-scope it a few years ago. Taken everything from elk to groundhogs with it and I've only missed/not recovered game twice in those 28yrs that I can recall. That said, it packs a punch and will beat you up if shooting it a lot at the range.

On the other hand, my oldest son just turned 9 and I have ordered a 7-08 Ruger American to get him started on. I'm going to try it with 140gr GMX and see how they fly. :)

Back