Load Development Conundrum

Which .270 Win load should I use?

• Total voters

EastTNHunter

So I got a new .270 Win barrel for Christmas. It replaced a 30-06 barrel on my Savage 116. Posted about it on here a while back. Plan was to use I4350 or H4350 with 130gr NBTs and NABs that I had on hand. It had other plans. I never could get a consistently reliable load developed for these bullets. I mean wildly erratic accuracy. But for barrel break in and testing I used some 140gr SGK light loads from another .270 that I just reseated to the appropriate depth. They shot REALLY well, but in my experience SGKs are A) unobtanium right now, B) softer than I like and don’t hold together as well as I’d like for shoulder shots.

My experience with NABs for years has been impeccable. I trust them to do what they are supposed to do as long as I put them where they are supposed to go. Even on point of shoulder shots.

So I started using some 140gr NABs that I had a very few of on hand. It showed promise with them, but I ran out pretty quickly during load development. I was able to trade into some more of them, but in the meantime I picked up some Hornady Interlocks (140gr BTSP) for a decent price and tried them out. My rifle LOVES them. And they are AVAILABLE right now.

140 NABs shoot ok (just-under to just-over MOA, depending on the day) after load development (primer change, powder charge adjustments, seating depth adjustments), but seem to be much pickier on powder charge and seating depth.

Photos of groups from both bullets from my last range session are below (first three are Interlocks, last two are NABs), but sometimes the NAB load opens to just over 1” at 100yd. The Hornady loads are CONSISTENT.

So herein lies my conundrum: I am 100% confident in the on-game performance of NABs, even if it’s a tough angle and I need it to penetrate deep (not Texas heart shots or gut shot miracles). I’ve use Hornady Interlocks in the past, and know that they have a reputation for being a tough c&c bullet, but I’ve only used them on broadside or close shots. They have performed fine for that. I’ll use them on whitetail around here knowing that I can afford to pass a shot if I can’t get it to turn broadside since I’ll have more chances later in a long season. But should I trust the Hornady for that 1 week western mule deer hunt that I have a lot of money invested in, tags are hard to draw for, and I may only get a 300yd quartering shot offered? Or as a backup elk rifle in the same scenario if my scope craps out on my 30-06 just before the hunt (this actually happened to me once).

I know which way I’m leaning, but I’d like to hear from you guys who have experience with these bullets, especially in this cartridge.

Attachments

• D7F9F26C-54CC-46E6-B315-699BAA1A8E0A.jpeg
    D7F9F26C-54CC-46E6-B315-699BAA1A8E0A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • 783B49F4-4A40-4F18-9F0A-A8D16287DE3D.jpeg
    783B49F4-4A40-4F18-9F0A-A8D16287DE3D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • D3C92ED0-BFE1-4DFD-AF27-9E1868B2CD41.jpeg
    D3C92ED0-BFE1-4DFD-AF27-9E1868B2CD41.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 0FE54A4D-8516-4A77-9D58-900824677EA7.jpeg
    0FE54A4D-8516-4A77-9D58-900824677EA7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • 84A92F6C-89A3-40A3-BED9-3753C9025A90.jpeg
    84A92F6C-89A3-40A3-BED9-3753C9025A90.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
Either one would be fine for deer or elk especially within 300 yards. I’d shoot whatever you can find available at the time.

I think both would be perfect to hunt with. Of course I'm biased to the Accubonds for being a tougher bullet. I currently use 140 Partitions in mine.

Obligatory Hammer recommendation 113s over something in the 4350 burn rate pushing 3200-3400fps

I was in a similar situation with my 270, my first thread was over the 140gr interlock 277 bullet flying great for over a decade. I recently gave the 160gr partition a try and it flies just as well and 100fps slower. If the accubond 140gr was as accurate I would have stuck with that. I think you'll be fine with the accubond but being an interlock fan I casted a vote for those.

I had a 270 one time, got stolen before I got to hunt with it. Loaded 140gr Speer Hot cores and not a complaint. ai also use a lot of Hornady inter-lock and never a complaint. Much as I lkie Hornady spire points I think the most under rated bullet out there is the Speer Hot Core. Truth of the matter in my opinion is what bullet you use really doesn't matter If you use it properly and that's up to you, not the bullet. All bullet's will kill is the user does his job! Many simply give you better target areas.

I voted for AB because I have had great accuracy and game performance with that bullet in other calibers. Before switching to unleaded I fed my .270 Nosler Partitions in 140gr and killed many deer (whitetail and mule) with them from 50yds to 300+ one shot and dead within sight and most crumpled right in their tracks.
I have no idea why my .270 doesn't see much use these days. I seem to grab my .308 for all my big game hunts the past several years.

What were your velocities? I’d use 130 or 140 grain Partitions or Accubonds. I’ve never had a problem getting the bullet that I wanted to shoot to be accurate.

What were your velocities? I’d use 130 or 140 grain Partitions or Accubonds. I’ve never had a problem getting the bullet that I wanted to shoot to be accurate.
Velocities we’re just over 3k

I picked up a few hundred of the Hornady bullets while they are available (and cheap), and I plan to use them for practice for sure. I’ll use them this season on local whitetails and see how they perform in this velocity envelope. I’m sure that I’ll gain more confidence with them. It’s not that I don’t trust them, I’ve just trusted the NABs for so long and have never been let down by them over more than 50 kills. And they are usually easy to develop accurate loads for. I tentatively have a western hunt planned for ‘23, pending mule deer and antelope draw results, so I have the benefit of time on this one.

I may end up trying some Hammers in the future. I understand that they are easy to develop loads for and are not seating depth sensitive. Gonna let my brother be the Guinea pig with on game testing this season, but I may end up using them as my “trust it for everything, but can’t afford to shoot it for a practice round,” bullet pending those results. Cost is actually pretty close to NABs right now, except for when I can find the blems at SPS.

I’ve used TTSXs with mixed results in the past. One rifle would NOT shoot them in any of 3 different weights, and they do seem to be seating depth sensitive. Performance on game doesn’t provide the consistent DRT performance that I’ve come to expect from NABs, and on some of the small properties that I hunt that could mean an animal that cannot be recovered (small parcels of public and private land). They still kill, always leave an acceptable exit wound for blood trail, and are plenty accurate after you find a load if your rifle likes them.

I too would look into hammer bullets. I have been shooting them in both 300 win mag and 6.5 PRC the last few years. Load development is super easy with them, and they have performed very well on everything I have shot with them so far. They do like to be pushed fast and I would drop down a weight class for the correct twist.

Another suggestion for trying a mono/copper bullet. I shot 140gr Barnes TSX for years, just switched over to 129gr Barnes LRX to get some more speed and flatten out a bit. Very pleased with the load development of the 129gr LRX with Hunter! also tried 4831 as it has always produced in the past, You simply cannot go wrong with 4831 in a 270 Win!

Back