Yeti GOBOX Collection

And the Hits just keep on coming....WY now.

I have mixed feelings about all of this. I get both sides. On a larger scale, I think there's reason to fear a focus that is too much on resident opportunity. I mean, it seems like that's part of the root cause of Montana's troubles. At what point will that particular demand start to threaten even Wyoming's excellent game management? Worth some thought...
I don't think there's any chance that this price increase will reduce demand for Wyoming's LE bull tags. I do wonder about the type 4's though. Seems to me like that will strike alot of people as too much money for a cow tag. I think they'd be wise to consider changing that structure so that a type 4 isn't the same price as a type 1.

So for those who feel this will lead to less support for public land hunting or public land in general, what do you mean exactly? I'm not saying you're wrong just help me understand, I've never lived in a non-rocky mountain state. I already support public land ownership and recreation (and engage in it) in lots of states that I'll never hunt in.
I don't think it necessarily affect PLT or public lands in general. But why would I take the time to comment on future bad wildlife bills if you've excluded me from your wildlife? Take sage grouse, I've pushed hard to limit O&G development across the sage brush sea, because someday I would like to try to shoot a sage turkey, or at least have the opportunity to. For example, I don't care nearly as much about UT wildlife, because it's basically behind a "do not touch" sign, as opposed to ID, which I feel a direct connection to. I've chased those elk and because of that I feel more a part of that landscape.

i get that. I do.

but think about it this way: my odds of drawing a tag as a resident in colorado ON AVERAGE, GENERALLY, are no better than yours when you look at a lot of limited deer and elk units. When my ability to get tags in other states that i love to hunt drops precipitously year after year for the benefit of residents in those states that GENERALLY have no trouble getting those tags, why can't i have a leg up in my own state?

here's the key: there should be a benefit to being a resident of a state when it comes to hunting OTHER than simply price IMO. I don't see much benefit to living in colorado besides the price difference for a tag and proximity to the animals, especially when you compare the benefits of being a resident in other western states.

edit: and i'll add, while i respect wyoming residents to do what they will with their wildlife. it does suck. from my perspective wyoming residents have no trouble getting enormous amounts of excellent tags at an excellent price that much of the country would die for. is it really that bad? are you guys really getting slighted that much? but again i respect your decisions.
I brought in the Wisconsin deer hunting example for this reason. A nonresident has the exact same odds 100% of hunting deer on any public land as any resident. You can get a OTC elk tag every year the same as I can and thats great. The only difference is the cost of the tag thats it. If you want to hunt a limited hunt area you have to play the point game. Thats the way most western states have made it. I don't like it either but I get it. I think the mix of OTC and units you have to draw with points is a ok mix. You have great opportunity to hunt as well as once in a while going on a hunt with better odds of filling a tag and or a more mature animal. We need to keep in mind hunting for our kids and their kids. If there is reduced opportunity to hunt you will have more people on the side of we don't need guns and hunting as we know it could go away. With the number of people not hunting we better make sure the ones who still do have great opportunity's to do so. If not the kids of these people will not get to hunt and will not be there to stand up for hunting rights in the future.

The only way you can logically say its "becoming a rich man's sport" is if you agree that it has been for over 4 decades...otherwise its about the same its always been price wise.
Or if you conclude that basic costs of living have gone up at a disproportionate rate and thus reduced the overall household discretionary budget.
Though I haven't lived it, my parents have mentioned: housing, medical, and retire costs have all gone up disproportionally to income (the 3rd partially includes the first two).

But yes, I see your point.

I would hope each state can do what they want to do and not just do something because thats what the other states are doing. In that I hope CO can stick to what they have been doing. The state is a treasure for many out of state hunters. Can't we keep just one of them, is that asking to much? I hope not. Why even have state borders if they all just do what the the others are doing. Not every unit or state needs to be a trophy unit or state. Some units or states are more about opportunity and that has great value. Just being out there even if the odds of filling a tag are lower sure beats not going at all. Wisconsin deer hunting huge opportunity. No limit on deer tags resident or non. Wisconsin shoots younger bucks on average then any other state. They could change that and make it more like Iowa but why? Yes it's great to see bigger bucks but to give up the opportunity for so many who just want to get a deer and put some meat in the freezer is it worth it?
Not going to happen because it boils down to greed and money. They will all follow along most already have. All I can say is the next major recession that strikes sure is going to be interesting in more ways than one.

As a resident I'm against it. I hunted as a non resident prior to moving to Wyoming. I am against this they are able to give 20% of tags to non residents because Wyoming is thr least populated state. With the new percentage and not all tags doubling in price it means that there will be less money available since non residents pay way more than residents. For what they contribute to our economy we shouldn't be allowing less people here. As for prices I believe the opportunity units will become easier to draw and will push people to the glory rags. Instead of doing this they should get rid of the guide requirement in wilderness areas.

I was thinking, because a big slice of the budget is from the general fund. Looks like in fact it is not... 1% is a very small amount.
View attachment 175879
Its now 0%...the GF did not seek the recoupment that the legislature promised, via legislation, on free and reduced price licenses. Things like an appropriation for paying the GF for the NR tag fees associated with the Governors tags, now the GF is covering those to the tune of 800K a year.

Or if you conclude that basic costs of living have gone up at a disproportionate rate and thus reduced the overall household discretionary budget.
Though I haven't lived it, my parents have mentioned: housing, medical, and retire costs have all gone up disproportionally to income (the 3rd partially includes the first two).

But yes, I see your point.
You aren't solving those issues by adjusting license fees...

As a resident I'm against it. I hunted as a non resident prior to moving to Wyoming. I am against this they are able to give 20% of tags to non residents because Wyoming is thr least populated state. With the new percentage and not all tags doubling in price it means that there will be less money available since non residents pay way more than residents. For what they contribute to our economy we shouldn't be allowing less people here. As for prices I believe the opportunity units will become easier to draw and will push people to the glory rags. Instead of doing this they should get rid of the guide requirement in wilderness areas.
You need to read the fiscal note...GF revenue will increase 8 million a year if this passes.

I have mixed feelings about all of this. I get both sides. On a larger scale, I think there's reason to fear a focus that is too much on resident opportunity. I mean, it seems like that's part of the root cause of Montana's troubles. At what point will that particular demand start to threaten even Wyoming's excellent game management? Worth some thought...
I don't think there's any chance that this price increase will reduce demand for Wyoming's LE bull tags. I do wonder about the type 4's though. Seems to me like that will strike alot of people as too much money for a cow tag. I think they'd be wise to consider changing that structure so that a type 4 isn't the same price as a type 1.
Type 4 was going to be my answer to the difficulty of getting and price of tags. Looks like youth hunts for us and then done.

Not going to happen because it boils down to greed and money. They will all follow along most already have. All I can say is the next major recession that strikes sure is going to be interesting in more ways than one.
Yes it is about greed and money. So all we can do is get involved like many of us have done on the Montana bill. We have made a difference and must keep at it. This fight will not end anytime soon so just keep letting our voices be heard. I follow the stock markets on a daily basis and trade it. I believe we will be getting that major recession before this Presidents term is done. And I'm not even saying its because of what he does. Maybe after that things swing back to better..keep the faith and hope

I was planning to mail a deposit to an outfitter for a 2023 elk hunt in WY, but I think I’ll hold on to it until this thing shakes out. It sucks because I would have had enough points to hunt the LE unit, but this proposal could add who knows how many years to the wait. As vocal as WYOGA is with certain issues, I’m surprised they haven’t opposed this. It will certainly decrease their potential client base in LE units.

Let's say that after these proposed changes take effect that the general elk tag takes 6 pp to draw. I don't think that will be unreasonable at all, will probably be more.

That means at $51 bucks a year, if that stays the same, it will take $306 worth of preference points to draw, plus, $1100 for the tag, plus application and credit card transaction fees, habitat stamp, etc, and so on.

That will put a non-resident spending about $1600 bucks just to get licensed and a tag in he pocket.

Knock the quota in LE units in half as well.....

Those rooting for some of the western point schemes to implode are probably doing a happy dance with ever increasing vigor with every legislative session that comes and goes.

I have seen a lot of arguments against it, however I still believe it is just a matter of time before the bubble busts. What I am afraid of is that it is going to be habitat and wildlife that gets smacked when it does.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back