And the Hits just keep on coming....WY now.

Even at $1100 its still one of best costing oppurtunity tags avaliable. Much like MT WY has long seasons that can be hunted with bow/gun. So is a $1100 tag good for 6+weeks really more expensive than a $800 NM 5-day tag? Somewhat of a perspective issue
Fair point... though does it matter if you tag out on the first day?

1. Eyeroll
2. I'd rather have clam chowder.
NR pricing soon to be implemented by Patriots. And 90% of seats reserved for MA residents. Seems fair since local tax payers fund the roads around the stadium and likely a chunk of the cost to build the stadium. Parking spaces in Boston should also be higher for NR. Might as well let pricing make it clear what we think of scummy NR that come to our town and take up good seats in our fine eateries then dance with our women. It ain't fair all you NR peasants. GO HOME!!

NR pricing soon to be implemented by Patriots. And 90% of seats reserved for MA residents. Seems fair since local tax payers fund the roads around the stadium and likely a chunk of the cost to build the stadium. Parking spaces in Boston should also be higher for NR. Might as well let pricing make it clear what we think of scummy NR that come to our town and take up good seats in our fine eateries then dance with our women. It ain't fair all you NR peasants. GO HOME!!

You aight?

Pretty sure with their on field product the Pats are going to be in need of help to fill seats anyways...bad example...lmao

Great point, I assume a pretty decent portion of the budget is excise taxes on minerals correct (Coal/OG)?
Not the G&F budget no; I was speaking more generally about the state budget. The state is longing for a win for any department with a bank account though. I edited to clarify the last one.

So for those who feel this will lead to less support for public land hunting or public land in general, what do you mean exactly? I'm not saying you're wrong just help me understand, I've never lived in a non-rocky mountain state. I already support public land ownership and recreation (and engage in it) in lots of states that I'll never hunt in.

This may or may not be what you’re getting at, but myself and a few others started an RMEF chapter. It costs me a ton of money each year to put a banquet together, as well as a lot of time. We’ve raised hundreds of thousands of dollars since we started, the VAST majority of that going to western states for habitat work. Honestly, when (not if) I’m priced out of this game, I’m done as a committee member. So is my hunting buddy. When we quit, the chapter likely will shut down. We’ll spend our time and money on projects that benefit Minnesota alone.

This may or may not be what you’re getting at, but myself and a few others started an RMEF chapter. It costs me a ton of money each year to put a banquet together, as well as a lot of time. We’ve raised hundreds of thousands of dollars since we started, the VAST majority of that going to western states for habitat work. Honestly, when (not if) I’m priced out of this game, I’m done as a committee member. So is my hunting buddy. When we quit, the chapter likely will shut down. We’ll spend our time and money on projects that benefit Minnesota alone.
Yep that's exactly what I mean. That's the stuff that's in my blind spots, and probably 99.9% of western hunters don't have on their radar either.

Not the G&F budget no; I was speaking more generally about state budgets. The state is longing for a win for any department with a bank account though. I edited to clarify the last one.
I was thinking, because a big slice of the budget is from the general fund. Looks like in fact it is not... 1% is a very small amount.
1614635893020.png

I was thinking, because a big slice of the budget is from the general fund. Looks like in fact it is not... 1% is a very small amount.
View attachment 175879
Yep. My point being they've been sitting in Cheyenne for a couple weeks looking at nothing but red and "-" for the foreseeable future, and here's a chance to boost Game and Fish $$$ with broad resident support.

$600 is still a pretty small price of admission when you get to experience hunting antelope in Wyoming!

If hunting is THAT important to a person, he/she will make it work. If hunting really isn't THAT important to a person, he/she won't make it work . . . pretty simple.
Totally agree. I find as I grow older that it's less and less important to me. Kinda weird.

What can residents and non-residents do about this bill? Good info on the Montana bill posts. Looking for same thing, process and contacts.

Reactions: JDH
I was just wondering to myself, when I read this, "I wonder what RMEF thinks about this?"

What price for a NR wyo elk tag is the line for common man can afford and only wealthy can afford? Personally, I feel its significantly higher than what's proposed in this bill.
What does it mean to be a commoner? Do you need to have a college degree with a white collar job, a 401k, and PTO? And what does afford? If I make 1200 in a year technically can I "afford" an 1100 elk tag. But in my mind "afford" means that it fits within the "discretionary" spending budget, and I know more than a few people who don't think of themselves as poor that don't spend 1,100 a year on discretionary purchases.

Yes, I can still afford an elk tag, but I also feel pretty damn privileged with my economic situation.

What does it mean to be a commoner? Do you need to have a college degree with a white collar job, a 401k, and PTO? And what does afford? If I make 1200 in a year technically can I "afford" an 1100 elk tag. But in my mind "afford" means that it fits within the "discretionary" spending budget, and I know more than a few people who don't think of themselves as poor that don't spend 1,100 a year on discretionary purchases.

Yes, I can still afford an elk tag, but I also feel pretty damn privileged with my economic situation.
Just posted this on another board...hunting license fees are in line with what they've been since at least the year I started hunting, 1979 to what they are now:

NR hunting is not becoming a rich mans sport...its stayed relatively static in price for the 42 years I've been hunting...give or take.

What's going on right now is johnnie come lately type NR hunters just have short memories or weren't hunting out of state 3-4 decades ago.

Just for the hell of it, I went and looked up some statistics from Montana as an example of what a NR deer/elk combo was selling for in the year I started hunting, 1979.

NR cost was $226 dollars, average United State househould median income in 1979 was $16,530. So $226/$16530 would equal around 1.4% of the mean income for a NR MT combo.

Median average household income in 2020, is $68,703 current price for a MT NR deer/elk combo is $1052...so $1052/$68,703 would equal about 1.5% of the mean income for a NR MT combo license.

Has it went up in price? Yes, .014 to .015 of mean annual income or an increase of .001 or 1/10th of 1 percent of mean annual income since 1979.

The only way you can logically say its "becoming a rich man's sport" is if you agree that it has been for over 4 decades...otherwise its about the same its always been price wise.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back