And the Hits just keep on coming....WY now.

I personally don't care that much if the MSG split is 90/10 or stays the same, because even at 90/10 it would result in precious few (haven't looked at the exact #s) additional random tags. That's the only way me or my kids will draw M and S any time before I'm very old in my case, and probably just not at all outside of random in their case. WY sheep and moose populations aren't looking up, and I don't have a good reason to believe they will be any time real soon.

I'm good with OIL, but again seems like a tiny dent in a big wall. The concept of addressing the resident preference point system was alluded to in the session today, but I just don't see the task force being able to budge that. I don't have the history on it to say much, Buzz or JM probably do.

If we're going to leave the resident PP system as is then I don't want to hear about moving to 90/10 so Wyoming's children of tomorrow have a chance to hunt MS here. If we're going to move to 90/10 to benefit WY residents who have been paying into points and licenses for a long time and who want to finally draw, then fine call it what it is but it doesn't fix the problem long term. I get why my fellow residents want that and I can't blame them, it just has about no direct effect on my interests as a middle aged person with a middle number of points and some future hunters in my house. Therefore my support or not of 90/10 MSG is more theoretical than practical. I don't think that's how most residents look at it though; they hear "more MSG tags for residents" and it that's all they wish to know.

90/10 on deer/elk/antelope LQ's has some appeal. Edited to add, that doesn't mean I'm ready to lobby for it. I do agree with whomever it was on the committee that suggested an increase in resident opportunity should come with additional financial input from residents, seems reasonable.
As a NR I’m not in favor of 90/10 on deer/elk/antelope but if that’s what WY chooses to do then I will make my decisions based on it.
The problem with going 90/10 from my point of view as a NR is it will eliminate the random tag pool in quite a few LQ units which I feel is a major attraction for a lot of NR hunters and why they even apply in WY given there is at least a tiny/slim chance they could draw a tag.

Its surprising to me that the state of wy could afford to take this action. Lic. Cost aside.. You think it would hurt small town businesses that count on more NR hunters $ each fall. Especially now more than ever with Bidens drilling policies and impact on local jobs. I suppose higher tag costs with reduced NR quotas make up for it in the g@f budget.. that is how they see it.. i obviously dont know allot about politics or details of Legislation. But I do know it will be a challenge financially to bring my kids back out to my favorite state of wy. The place I love to be during the fall hunting season and where my son took his first big game animal. Makes me sad. If I was a resident I would probably want it to pass as well.

Its surprising to me that the state of wy could afford to take this action. Lic. Cost aside.. You think it would hurt small town businesses that count on more NR hunters $ each fall. Especially now more than ever with Bidens drilling policies and impact on local jobs. I suppose higher tag costs with reduced NR quotas make up for it in the g@f budget.. that is how they see it.. i obviously dont know allot about politics or details of Legislation. But I do know it will be a challenge financially to bring my kids back out to my favorite state of wy. The place I love to be during the fall hunting season and where my son took his first big game animal. Makes me sad. If I was a resident I would probably want it to pass as well.
How exactly do you think sheep tags going from 600 to 180, and moose tags going from 2000 to 400 over the years, affected the economy in Wyoming? Frankly, that's getting to be a tired talking point.

Usually if a issue is move to a committee, the committee is given a time frame to come up with a proposal for the legislature. Does anyone know if that happened and if so, when is it due?

Rich

How exactly do you think sheep tags going from 600 to 180, and moose tags going from 2000 to 400 over the years, affected the economy in Wyoming? Frankly, that's getting to be a tired talking point.

How is it a tired talking point? There's already been an economic loss so more economic loss is okay? Or are you saying there was no economic loss due to the decrease?

Jm77 Not sure.. just seems like it would have some impact.. I won't post on this again.. New to writing comments.

How is it a tired talking point? There's already been an economic loss so more economic loss is okay? Or are you saying there was no economic loss due to the decrease?
Name me an outfitter, store owner, restaurant, or gas station that went out of business from severely reduced bighorn or sheep permits....I'll not hold my breath for the answer. It's a worn out talking point...best case.

Well @BuzzH it looks like you and your wife are just going to have to scrape by on the 30 tags you currently get.
When you use them as kindling or fire starters as you put it, make sure you post a picture of that for everyone.
These issues are marathons...we are making headway. The one thing that was crystal clear is everyone recognizes the problem and all agree some things will change. 3 years ago it wasn't even being discussed.

Pay attention, schools in session....

All residents in all western states should pay more for their tags. Sub 100 dollars is almost criminal for the animals you can hunt on such cheap tags.

If WY was smart they would be marketing THEIR allotments and system as model to move toward rather then trying to move themselves towards the mediocrity that plagues other states and their systems. Raise prices, sure but with the plan in mind that growing and thriving wildlife populations will create more opportunities for residents and non residents a like.
Its ass backward too proclaim your better then other states then move in their direction policy wise.

These issues are marathons...we are making headway. The one thing that was crystal clear is everyone recognizes the problem and all agree some things will change. 3 years ago it wasn't even being discussed.

Pay attention, schools in session....
No I hear ya. No ill will toward you I just like giving you a hard time. The 90/10 split will eventually happen and it won’t be the end of the world. I think NR’s will eventually lose the unused rollover resident tags. That one will be a kick in the ass for sure. When it does a guy is going to have to sit down and evaluate if it’s still worthwhile to get back in. That is all, its just another day.

Is there a legal way to become a dual citizen of WY and your home state? asking for a friend...
Get a po box make it your address. Live where you want. A friend does this for real who is retired. Don't agree but what he does.

Get a po box make it your address. Live where you want. A friend does this for real who is retired. Don't agree but what he does.
That probably isn’t a good plan. Better run any ideas by the state fish and game agency before one puts them into action n

If WY was smart they would be marketing THEIR allotments and system as model to move toward...
I agree Wyoming should be proactive and forward thinking in considering program changes, but if they crafted a model in a forward thinking fashion it might not look like the status quo or the failed bill.

...rather then trying to move themselves towards the mediocrity that plagues other states and their systems...
We've already got mediocre system IMO, just so happens management has been good and we're blessed with some pretty intact ecosystems.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back