Caribou Gear

American prairie. What's the issue?

I don't live close to APR, but I did see one of there first promotion films. Full of the look down there noses attitude of we know what is best and you hayseed hicks should take lessons from us. I sure that went over big with the neighbors.
I definitely think some people working for conservation groups do come across as having a condescending attitude to locals. I used to do a lot of sage grouse work where I am a local and I saw that in a few of the people I worked with, and it isn’t helpful.

A lot of my extended family lives around the APR, some really hate them. I could care less what they do with their private property and I’d damn sure rather see it kept contiguous and managed for wildlife than developed.

Here you go:

How does American Prairie affect real estate prices in the region?​

Our analysis of real estate trends shows that American Prairie’s presence has had no effect on the regional market. As with agricultural properties elsewhere in eastern Montana, prices increase and decrease based on regional and national economic conditions, regional and national demand, property productivity, and cattle and grain prices, which vary from year to year. In compliance with industry standards and best practices, all American Prairie land acquisitions are advised by independent professional appraisals.

Here you go:

How does American Prairie affect real estate prices in the region?​

Our analysis of real estate trends shows that American Prairie’s presence has had no effect on the regional market. As with agricultural properties elsewhere in eastern Montana, prices increase and decrease based on regional and national economic conditions, regional and national demand, property productivity, and cattle and grain prices, which vary from year to year. In compliance with industry standards and best practices, all American Prairie land acquisitions are advised by independent professional appraisals.
I know a rancher selling land there now. Right about the National average per acre for grassland. It’s great for sellers to get full asking price.

I know a rancher selling land there now. Right about the National average per acre for grassland. It’s great for sellers to get full asking price.
Yes it is, but I get why some would be upset over the national price as it makes it darn near impossible for someone that has a dream of ranching via buying, rather than inheriting, the ranch. The math just doesn't pencil out, and that does suck.

But, its really not a whole lot different than the thread about folks having a hard time buying their first house for much the same reason.

Markets have a mind of their own.

Yes it is, but I get why some would be upset over the national price as it makes it darn near impossible for someone that has a dream of ranching via buying, rather than inheriting, the ranch. The math just doesn't pencil out, and that does suck.

But, its really not a whole lot different than the thread about folks having a hard time buying their first house for much the same reason.

Markets have a mind of their own.
Right! I don’t know a single farmer or rancher that was t brought up in it. I would love to do that, but it’s damn near impossible to start your own without having an ‘in’ somewhere.

I was just trying to explain to the OP why people may view it as a bad thing. In the the eyes of the locals, they are trying to end their way of life for several generations. Misspoke a few times earlier.
I dont understand how preserving praire land is trying to end a way of life.

Mega corporations, billionaires and factory farming is what's killing the family farm/ranch.

Agreed. But access is given to some, and not others. FACT. mtmuley
Maybe its just your attitude...

IMG_20201030_121659620_HDR.jpg

I dont understand how preserving praire land is trying to end a way of life.
I agree. Land uses of specific properties changes all the time in response to different needs and market forces.
Mega corporations, billionaires and factory farming is what's killing the family farm/ranch.

Not really. Rising land prices due to increased demand and finite amounts of acreage as well as increased overhead/ equipment costs and stagnant commodity prices due to global competition and supply outpacing demand is why many family farms can’t produce enough to pay the mortgage and live.

Most family farms are factory farms in at least a small scale. The closest that factory farms are to killing off family farms is maybe in the dairy industry where the only way to be profitable with 2022 costs and 1985 pay scales is to be huge. Most family farms can’t feed or support enough cows to remain solvent at low milk prices. Huge farms can produce enough milk to keep prices low.

It is my opinion (I could be wrong) that if beef producers would be able to capture a larger portion of that $9-20 per lb. of retail beef it would greatly alleviate some of the stress caused by deer and elk because their bottom line would have a bit more cushion.
There are very stark challenges facing cattle growers, many of which I can empathize.

If I didn’t stock my freezer with game, I’d look into buying a 1/2 of beef directly from the farmer. Where I live, this is becoming much more common.

Sadly, AP gets thrown in the mix as the local, visible bogeyman. Even if they are somehow exacerbating cattle grazing economics, the degree of influence gets blown far out of proportion to other relevant factors.

Personally, I think what AP is doing for wildlife heritage in the west is fantastic. Even if they closed off hunting access I’d still be a supporter.

If AP looks down their nose at others, what’s to be said of UPOM and MSGA? Looking at public hunters past their middle finger?

Back