MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Armed Threats on Bison?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That piece is full of lies & half truths. I wouldn't put that up if you want to retain any credibility.

What is untrue in it?

Will private landowners be compensated for damage done to their property by the bison?

For starters, Tom France works for NWF and has lived in Missoula for decades. So has a lot of the NWF staff working on this issue. Kit Fischer, the staffer who is leading this effort is a montana boy & a hell of an angler & elk hunter. He was on the board of APR, but never a staffer. So that's wrong.

There are a lot of resources landowners have if bison get on their land: MCA is littered with options including being able shoot them if they cause any property damage or if they are even about to.

The Park County case wasn't about giving landowners the ability to protect their land,it was about them disallowing native wildlife on private property regardless of the montana constitution.

Want me to continue?

For starters, Tom France works for NWF and has lived in Missoula for decades. So has a lot of the NWF staff working on this issue. Kit Fischer, the staffer who is leading this effort is a montana boy & a hell of an angler & elk hunter. He was on the board of APR, but never a staffer. So that's wrong.

There are a lot of resources landowners have if bison get on their land: MCA is littered with options including being able shoot them if they cause any property damage or if they are even about to.

The Park County case wasn't about giving landowners the ability to protect their land,it was about them disallowing native wildlife on private property regardless of the montana constitution.

Want me to continue?

Yes, because shooting a buffalo will usually not cover the costs of the damages.

What is untrue in it?

Will private landowners be compensated for damage done to their property by the bison?

Do landowners get compensated for damage done to their property by cattle, or sheep?

Do you believe in private property rights?

Do you think landowners should be given tags (to do with what they please) to compensate them for wildlife living on their lands?

Make a law that says the State of Montana and the USA will pay for all damages done by the bison and add 20% for an inconvenience fee.

Problem solved.

Legally, FWP must have a containment plan for bison translocated as wildlife, which means that any bison that leave a pre-determined area will either be shot on sight or if damage does occur,then FWP is legally liable for the damages. It is either a lie or it is incredibly ignorant on the writer's part to say what he is saying.

SB 212 from 2011 is a good starting point to understand bison conservation and the incredible compromises the conservation community has already engaged in in order to have just a few wild bison.

Do landowners get compensated for damage done to their property by cattle, or sheep?

Do you believe in private property rights?

Do you think landowners should be given tags (to do with what they please) to compensate them for wildlife living on their lands?

Would you get compensated if some drove into your house?

Legally, FWP must have a containment plan for bison translocated as wildlife, which means that any bison that leave a pre-determined area will either be shot on sight or if damage does occur,then FWP is legally liable for the damages. It is either a lie or it is incredibly ignorant on the writer's part to say what he is saying.

Is this a law or an agency rule that can be changed fairly easily?

Make a law that says the State of Montana and the USA will pay for all damages done by the bison and add 20% for an inconvenience fee.

Problem solved.

I think Ben explained what was proposed. Maybe the goal posts are moving for those that really want to have no Bison at all, I think they have blinked.

How about we go one step further, and pass a law that holds landowners liable for damages that are caused from their attempt to horde wildlife on their lands?

How about we move the tax rate from agricultural to commercial, for ranch lands that sell exclusive hunting rights to outfitters?

Bison aren't the only animals out there to cause damage to property.

The article I linked didn't say they didn't get compensation. I think you misread that.

The article you linked to is from a dark money group funded by the Koch brothers. It's pretty ironic and hypocritical for them to bring up George Soros. It's so a canard to divert attention away from the lies & half-truths in the article.

These people don't have any journalistic credibility nor ethics.

The article you linked to is from a dark money group funded by the Koch brothers. It's pretty ironic and hypocritical for them to bring up George Soros. It's so a canard to divert attention away from the lies & half-truths in the article.

These people don't have any journalistic credibility nor ethics.

I don't give a crap who wrote it. I don't care if they mixed up who worked for you.

I'm concerned about the meat of the article.

Can you link me to the law that says compensation would be paid if the bison did damage. SS says it was just proposed.

If they can't get the basic facts of a story right, what makes you think any of it is correct?

BigRack, your question of compensation has been part of the discussion, even during the Bison Citizens Working Groups. Just as wildlife advocates have contributed to wolf predation compensation, bison advocate groups have put free bison proof fencing on the table (NRDC has been paying YNP proximity residents bison fencing if they wanted it and some have done so), as well as discussions on damage compensation. No one, advocating bison restoration on a larger landscape, that I know of, has ever spoken to ag/ranchers saying that they would have to just suck it up if damage occurred. Discussions of being proactive to protect the ag/ranchers have been forefront.

Now down in Gardiner, when some of the more polarized bison haters have brought public safety up, such as Hoppe saying kids at bus stops were in danger, a ngo paid for fencing panels to protect the children to address that issue. Do you want to know where those fencing panels are today? They sit in storage because there never was a need and have not been used one day, except the first day they were brought in, set up for the photo shoot to show what was available.

Hoppe hates bison, loves to be in the news. So recently he was in the news for a bison shooting on his property, saying it was threatening his chained up dog. Not having set up a trail cam to oversee the situation remotely, nor wasting my life to keep an eye on all things Hoppe concerning our wildlife, I cannot speak with certainty how that bison got on his property, especially in light of the bison fencing that surrounds it, UNLESS the bloody gate was left open for wandering bison to enter, then claim threat. But here are some pics of when I was there last year concerning his bringing diseased domestic sheep into the picture that could infect the bighorns and bison around there.

hoppe%20fence.png

Those are Hoppes sheep in the upper left and yes, those are real deer in the lower right that are on Hoppes property. That is the fencing around his place that would keep bison off, if his gate was closed. In the article on the bison shooting, no mention of bison busting down this fencing to gain entry onto his property, which if it had would surely have been included.

bison%20cabin.png

These pictures were taken in May of last year. This is a YNP administrative cabin on Jardine road, less than half a mile from Hoppes place. Some YNP employees were building the fence that day, which we spoke with. There were three bison there, two wondering around and one lying down chewing his cud. Since the gates were open, they entered. They didnt have to bust down any fences.

This was from a facebook post this spring by Sabina Strauss, the owner of Yellowstone Basin Inn in Gardiner. She is a wild bison advocate that goes to a number of meetings. Loves the bison out there when they are allowed and DOL is not hazing them back to the Park. This was one of a number of shots she posted when the bison were first coming out and about, before Hoppe shot the bison.
bison%20window.png

I dont recall Sabina ever mentioning bison property damage. In fact, this is the image they chose for their banner ad at the bottom of the page.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back