PEAX Equipment

American prairie. What's the issue?

Maybe all Montana resident hunters should form a coalition to buy local beef? I think that could a win, win.

Makes a lot of sense for residents who don't take advantage of the opportunity shoot an elk, deer, bear, and pronghorn for about $100.

I know of lots of people who have 10-30 head on little hobby farms I could buy from in MN. Would be nice to find some options that support ranchers that are doing it for a livelihood instead of rich folks who "have a farm" because of the associated tax benefits for their larger properties.

Makes a lot of sense for residents who don't take advantage of the opportunity shoot an elk, deer, bear, and pronghorn for about $100.

I know of lots of people who have 10-30 head on little hobby farms I could buy from in MN. Would be nice to find some options that support ranchers that are doing it for a livelihood instead of rich folks who "have a farm" because of the associated tax benefits for their larger properties.
Last year was the first time in 20 years that I didn’t kill a single big game animal. Using up the last package of 2020 elk burger was a new and disconcerting experience as I realized that if I want to eat red meat I am going to have to buy it rather than kill it. I have become accustomed to only buying beef for special occasions a dozen or so times a year and using wild game for our every day cooking.

I don’t think I am going to be willing to pass on harvest opportunity this fall and end the season with tags intact.😄🤔

I have a question for everyone, but particularly for those who are against the APR. Would you rather see this area remain ranch land or returned to a more natural state like it was for thousands of years?

I am pro ranching and would never want all ranching to go away, but I like the idea of some of the landscape going back to being a more wild place. I would love to have seen what the Breaks looked like when Lewis and Clark came through. This is some very special country that we are talking about and I think it needs to protected.

I’m attaching a quote that’s on the wall at the APR visitor center. It’s pretty powerful if you ask me.

D0BC32FC-E18E-4C16-B06E-E8DF9BC4D23B.jpeg

I would love to have seen what the Breaks looked like when Lewis and Clark came through. This is some very special country that we are talking about and I think it needs to protected.
A river excursion through the Missouri River Wild & Scenic stretch between Ft. Benton and the Fred Robinson Bridge provides fabulous scenery and experiences which take one back to the historical times of Lewis and Clark, as much of the river corridor appears now just as the Corps saw it.Hole Wall.JPGCITIDEL.JPG

I have a question for everyone, but particularly for those who are against the APR. Would you rather see this area remain ranch land or returned to a more natural state like it was for thousands of years?

I am pro ranching and would never want all ranching to go away, but I like the idea of some of the landscape going back to being a more wild place. I would love to have seen what the Breaks looked like when Lewis and Clark came through. This is some very special country that we are talking about and I think it needs to protected.

I’m attaching a quote that’s on the wall at the APR visitor center. It’s pretty powerful if you ask me.

View attachment 217606
I totally agree with you.

In our push to tame the West, these places were quickly exploited and privatized in a vast majority of it.

The Wilderness Act, while great at protecting rock and ice, didn't do much for prairie and grasslands.

Exactly why I also support APR, we need these types of areas to be left intact. Hunting is a bonus on APR land, and if they want part of it off limits to hunting, good for them.

I talked for quite a while with one of their managers and if he is indicative of their other staff, they are in great shape. What a forward thinking person...we talked for over an hour, about 5 minutes of it was about hunting. The rest was about what APR is doing, why, and their management strategy.

I'm not easily impressed with a vast majority of wildlife and land management of any kind, but what APR is doing is pretty darn impressive.

Last edited:
A river excursion through the Missouri River Wild & Scenic stretch between Ft. Benton and the Fred Robinson Bridge provides fabulous scenery and experiences which take one back to the historical times of Lewis and Clark, as much of the river corridor appears now just as the Corps saw it.View attachment 217621View attachment 217622
That float trip is on my to do list for this summer. We are fortunate that it still looks the same. Hopefully some of the wildlife that Lewis and Clark saw will return.

How many days does it take to float that stretch?

Bozeman was a beautiful place once. Wonder if we couldn’t level it and return it to its natural habitat. Make it a National park, and return the residents to their original state.

I just finished listening to this episode of Randy’s podcast with Shane Mahoney discussing the North American Model of Wildlife management.

It’s a great discussion, well worth the time it takes to listen for anyone who is interested in land use and wildlife management practices.

I happen to live in Bozeman. My neighbors are selling their private property at market value to willing buyers who are making a value based decision to utilize the land according to their legal preferences.

Whether that land is developed into houses, used to raise crops, or has native prairie grasses planted on it for the pleasure of white footed field mice isn’t affecting my ability to use my property. Nor did it keep me from buying it at the same price the buyer paid. If I could have or been willing to pay that price, I could do whatever I wanted (within legal restrictions) to do with that property.

That float trip is on my to do list for this summer. We are fortunate that it still looks the same. Hopefully some of the wildlife that Lewis and Clark saw will return.

How many days does it take to float that stretch?
Deer, antelope, beaver, frogs, rattlesnakes, geese, pelicans, eagles, elk seem to be stationed along the route by some wildlife exhibit choreographer.
Ft Benton to Fred Robinson minimum five days, but more would be better so as to take some hikes and explore the area(s). There is a waterproof map showing highlights, as well as a good book to read as you float along to the various landmarks and historical sites. The interpretive center in Ft Benton provides a wealth of information and advice.P1000690.JPGP1000720.JPGP1000721.JPG

Back