Yeti GOBOX Collection

American prairie. What's the issue?

If rancher a sells out and retires why isn’t rancher b happy that he now has less market competition thus making his cows more valuable?

Rather cattle prices are controlled by forces wholly independent of the free market including any influence of a neighbors supply side. Between the futures markets, the feedlot controls and the processors collusion, supply side is many variables down the list.

I have never understood why people get mad about folks selling land that they will never be allowed to set foot on to folks who allow public access.
I was just trying to explain to the OP why people may view it as a bad thing. In the the eyes of the locals, they are trying to end their way of life for several generations. Misspoke a few times earlier.

Rather cattle prices are controlled by forces wholly independent of the free market including any influence of a neighbors supply side. Between the futures markets, the feedlot controls and the processors collusion, supply side is many variables down the list.
Guess I’ll keep happily buying a little bit of beef each year from a local couple that not only has a herd of their own but also runs a commercial butcher shop

I was just trying to explain to the OP why people may view it as a bad thing. In the the eyes of the locals, they are trying to end their way of life for several generations. Misspoke a few times earlier.
My comment wasn’t aimed at you. I was just talking in general.

Correct. This is the big squeeze on producers and is compounded by environmental factors such as the ongoing drought.

Add elk into the mix and it makes already stressed producers that much more sensitive to financial impacts caused by wildlife.

It is my opinion (I could be wrong) that if beef producers would be able to capture a larger portion of that $9-20 per lb. of retail beef it would greatly alleviate some of the stress caused by deer and elk because their bottom line would have a bit more cushion.

Maybe all Montana resident hunters should form a coalition to buy local beef? I think that could a win, win.

I have not ever done research on the biology of native animals. I'm really curious why people have such a problem with native animals. Wolves and bison are the first 2 that are controversial. Not trying to argue any point I'm just curious.

I have not ever done research on the biology of native animals. I'm really curious why people have such a problem with native animals. Wolves and bison are the first 2 that are controversial. Not trying to argue any point I'm just curious.
Wolves eat livestock at times. Bison eat grass that cattle could eat, don’t respect marginal fences and can be carriers of brucellosis.

Both are seen as a threat to profitable livestock production and there seems to be no economic benefit to having them on the landscape.

Intrinsic value of wildlife on the land doesn’t pay the fees bills or overhead costs so cutting out competition is usually a focused step in keeping a bottom line from going into the red.

At the end of the day most folks are way more tolerant of something that costs them money when it can also be a source of revenue.

Back