Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Am I the only one?

smalls

Only two days until August and 16 days until archery antelope opens. Today when I look out my window I see a sparkle of light at the end of the tunnel. The long "offseason" is nearly over as the thoughts of going afield grow more frequent and dreams of the chase grow more vivid its hard not to get lost thinking about what lies ahead.

I can't shake the pictures in my head of a series of giant wallows found late during rifle season; banks ripped and trampled by years of heavy, wet hooves. Filled by a spring mere yards from a trail navigating the tree choked saddle that separates a great lowland morning feed and the shaded confines of a cool north facing slope, I soon expect the crystal clear ponds I found in November to be muddied daily by tan and blonde visitors.

Perhaps a sign of insanity, I am longing to feel the sting of prickly pear in my knees and knuckles because that means the stalk is on. Even the random smell of sage immediately elicits an association to antelope and hot, wide open spaces.

This time of year is to hunters what spring time is for farmers. The slate is clean, hope springs eternal. The wait is nearly over to feel that excitement and anticipation of parking at a trailhead and throwing on the back pack for the first time, with the inevitable question running through your head as your truck disappears behind you, "will today be the day?"

The truth is I want it all, and I love it all. But I'd be lying if I didn't admit that there is a special desire to fell my first elk. I've been close so many times and I've had some long, demoralizing walks back to camp. I believe this year I will have a more triumphant hike, a knee-buckling heavy load up a steep slope type of hike. Hopefully I can make the phone call to my buddies and father-in-law back and instead of telling them another story about "the one that got away", it'll be telling them about the coolest thing they've ever dreamt of doing with a bow in their hands.

So where is it at for your guys? What hunt or trip has you punch drunk wandering through the day?

6 weeks left til Co Elk but, as smalls so eloquently worded, the mind-reel is running.

I'm always pretty excited for the hunting season, all of it.

This year 2 hunts have me thinking all the time though...my wifes mule deer tag in Wyoming and my Arizona coues deer tag in December.

The remaining dozen tags in Wyoming and Montana...been there done that many times. Funny thing is though, I still cant hardly wait.

Nah, I can take it or leave it. Never crossed my mind it was close.

Last edited:
Awesome post, as if I wasn't chomping at the bit enough already...
Between scouting lots of new areas, nightly forest service/google earth binges, and spending last Sunday morning in the middle of a huge herd of very vocal elk, definitely ready to start carrying a weapon.

I'm in the same boat as you smalls, this has got to be the year I kill my first bull. Have had great opportunities each of the last three seasons, but between safety's being left on, shooting high, and another guy finishing off a bull I'd already shot, I still don't have an elk rack on my wall. (funny thing is, I've only blew one opportunity on non-elk critters in the last 7 or 8 years, definitely my Achilles's heel).

I've also found a shortcut into a drainage that has held really nice muleys in the past, would love to put a nice one up between my whitetail mounts. Although honestly I probably have a better chance of killing a 170 whitey than a 170 muley.

Also get to tag along on a couple antelope hunts, planning an early season backcountry hunt, my berry patch is looking good for bringing in some bears, and whitetail horn growth down in the valleys has been really awesome this year. I'm thinking keeping the schoolwork up this fall might get tough...

doing mapping and car rental stuff tonight..... less than a month for NM lope.

The draws were not kind to me this year and I only have one "good" hunt this year, a Wyoming pronghorn.

the rest of the hunts i'll have to grind out with general elk/deer tags in Utah. but i am still ready to go! wishing i had a Nevada pronghorn tag right now...

I'm thirsting for some high country action in Idaho! But alas, last year I blew the budget on my white sheep. I'm getting pressure from the finance committee to stay local this year. Idaho elk, deer, and helping out on a sheep hunt will have to wait.

This has really kindled a flame to wreck a few antelope and deer. Hopefully I can find some good ones.
I'm gonna try sitting a waterhole for antelope in a blind. Never have tried that before. Hope I don't go crazy.

The cooler mornings sure have me jonesing for some hunting. I don't have a whole lot of 'big' hunts this year, but will be trying for some different critters. Gonna try to flag down a sandhill crane in Sept and either make a run for either a band-tailed pigeon, snowcock, or ptarmigan.

I have been ready for Oct 3rd CO. antalope season since I got my tag in the mail!! I think I am more excited for my wife and step son drawing their 1st antalope tags!! We were out scouting today saw 14 bucks that were shooters and 6 that were trophys!!! Total today probably 60 head of very healthy antalope ready for the picking!! Now off to the reloading bench!!

No - oh no - you are NOT the only one. Most of my conscious moments, and unconconcious ones too, involve hunting. I too "want it all and love it all". I'd safely wager we all do the same. As for me, I daydream about the Kaibab here in Arizona. Three short, but almost unbearably long weeks away. The dappled sunlight through aspen and spruce, open meadows, holding the promise of taffy-apple colored velvet bucks browsing the forbs and warily watering at dusk. Jeepers... just writing this gets me goin'. Right now the summer monsoons bring the scent of creosote bush into town and I think about winter elk and even spring javalina. And I think about the remarkable two-stage concussion sound of an arrow passing through a deer. It's difficult for me to explain but, I'd guess, easy for anyone here to understand. Yes, oh yes, I want the success of a kill, but the experience of the hunt trumps even that. Thanks... great - and very well written - post.

Nealz, if everyone else hadn't done it already, you've got me ready to go. I spent this weekend with my 6 year old looking in a 3 year old burn, and I think I'll be passing on that part of the country, at least. I'm waiting for cool mornings, and sweaty afternoons, anticipating those last few steps that get them into range....

My unit 41E, Az sheep tag is pretty much all I can think about and talk about. If I climb up on the roof of my house, I can see the mountain range I have been scouting with my binos.
I have enough vacation time to take the week before the season off and the first two weeks of the season. I can also work from home and "camp" from home, during the season, so I could probably do a series of hunt a few days and work a day or two depending on what is going on than.
I have a cool story, I have scout 3 different days so far, seen sheep on two of them. I had 3/4 of a tank of fuel in my diesel, after my third trip, I still have an 1/8 of tank of fuel, pretty cool.
I have a Swaro Diti-attachment and the new 25 x 50 wide angle eye piece coming in this week, should be able to get some good pictures.
Planning on getting out Thursday morning for a half day scouting trip, Take Care, JLG.

I must admit, having drawn a Moose tag for here in Washington, I have been consumed with scouting and planning that hunt. The drawback is season doesn't open until Oct. 1st, so I still have a pretty good wait to simply obsess over this tag.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back