Yeti GOBOX Collection

Advice for a new dad

TRS_Montana

Hey guys, so my wife and I are expecting our first kid this July. Seriously, it's pointless to try to describe on here how excited we are. Obviously family will be my number 1 priority during the hunting season, but hopefully I will still have a chance to get a few days out in the field.

SO....I am fairly new to Montana. We have lived here since 2010 and I have done fairly well adjusting from hunting whitetails and pheasants in SD to the plethora of mountain game in MT (3 elk, 1 bear, 4 antelope, 4 deer). However, my strategy has typically been to spend a lot of time in the woods, hike a lot, and get "lucky". Knowing that I won't get nearly as much time in the woods this year, I was just wondering if any of you have any advice or tips from when you had youngens that seemed to be good strategies for hunting season.

Thanks!

Knowing that I won't get nearly as much time in the woods this year, I was just wondering if any of you have any advice or tips from when you had youngens that seemed to be good strategies for hunting season.

Thanks!

Not true unless your wife is too protective.
My daughter was born in april back in 90, she was with us hunting kaibab for 2 weeks on the north rim in august/sept. every day after work her and I went quail hunting or yote calling down the street(phoenix was small back then)
I shot a 410 one handed and carried her with the other. sometimes I would put her in a back pack. sometimes I carried her car seat and set it down next to me while calling.maybe 1.5 year into it she called a fox blowing on a call ie just making noise.

always took her everywhere.she called her 1st bobcat in around 6, she went shooting pdogs with us from the time she was born every year.

Danr55 knows her..

you got a choice you either take her out or you sit home and watch tv. you tell me whats better..... again if momma is protective your screwed.

Congrats kids are freaking awsum and you live in a part of the country every kid should grow up and see the outdoors.

Delw

We bought a Kelty kid carrier when our first daughter was born. I packed around kids on plenty of hunts. You just have to be mindful of the weather and their tolerances, and realize that it won't be anything like hunting by yourself. Tailor the hunts to keep your kids interested, and realize every kid is different.

Not knowing what yours and your wife's working situations are, yes it can be tough getting in the field when kids are young. Daycare can be prohibitively expensive, and for me that was a real factor when our kids were young. Now that they are older, I get to hunt a LOT more.

Talk with your wife about it ahead of time. If you sacrifice during other times of the year to give her more flexibility in your day, will she return the favor for you in the fall? I do everything I can for 7 months of the year to make life easier on my wife by shuttling kids, household chores, etc. Come September, she's an absolute trooper in keeping things going on the homefront while I'm off bowhunting elk. She never complained once this year when I hunted birds every week for three straight months.

Congratulations on the pending addition. Kids are absolutely incredible. Never miss an opportunity to do stuff with them and make memories. My oldest just got her driver's license, but I remember evenings in the archery blind when she was 8 like it was yesterday.

First of all congrats on the new baby! My son is now 28, My wife and I took him on his first camping trip
when he was about 9 months old. We always took at least one week long camping trip every summer and never stopped because we had a baby, of course it required taking a lot more stuff like his play pen, wind up swing, etc. Kept doing the same thing when his sister was born 5 years later. Fishing started probably at 4 or 5. I started teaching him about guns at about 8 years old and he always tagged along while small game hunting. Bought him his own shotgun at 10 and started big game hunting as soon as legal at 12. He is still my best hunting and fishing partner to this day along with my brother.
So get em started young and always make it fun for them and know they have short attention spans when they first start out. Good luck to you and your wife.

Communication with your spouse is essential. Make sure that you're not assuming anything about how she views your time away, and make sure she's not assuming that you know how she feels. No different that normal, but good communication is the ticket. Congratulations!

Congrats to you and your wife! The advice you have received thus far is a great start. My son was born on May 20 and we had him camping by Memorial Day weekend on a abalone dive trip. I took him on his first deer hunt at 18 months and I actually got a deer. It is all about the childs tolerence and as is your own, every hunt or camping trip is never perfect.We have had our kids on many a camping trip in a tent when the rain has rolled in, the biggest thing I can add to this thread is make great memories and take lots of pictures. Andy

I have 2 kids. I hunted much more before they existed.

You need to be much more focused on what areas you hunt. Keep a journal, or try and recall your hunts of the past few years. Record those areas that provided the most success, and make those your priorities. Be tactical and always try to maximize your time.

Being born in July, your new child will probably not be able to go out into the hills with you this year. But next spring/summer and even this winter get outside with your new child as much as possible. Family hiking trips can also be scouting trips. Last year I was successful in an area I scouted with my son on my back in May.

Do not go cheap on a child carrying backpack. The most important thing is that your child is comfortable and having fun. Do not gage a backpack by how comfortable it is for you. You can deal with discomfort, but the minute your kid decides it isn't fun anymore it is game over. 3 miles back to the truck with a baby screaming in your ear is torturous. I have learned the hard way not to go cheap.

backpacksnow.jpg

That said, communicate your hunting expectations/hopes with your wife. Realize that if you want to spend a ton of time hunting in the fall you may need to sacrifice outdoors time during other parts of the year. If she is interested, try and include your wife as much as possible. Accept that you will probably hunt less. Hunt harder when you can.

Spend as much time outdoors with your new child as possible. Start him/her early. Congratulations to you and your wife.

Brookie.jpg

Congratulations! I am currently looking at kid carrier backpacks so that I can take my son out with me this spring when morel mushrooms start to come up (first ones last year were 4/14!). My wife loves them too and it just about killed her that she didn't get to look last year when he was just a little thing. Now that he is up and running around, I fully plan on taking him with me, at least on the close to the car outings. I know that isn't always a possibility though. I think there are some very good ideas posted already. An understanding wife is foremost. Sometimes you will need your space, and she will need to do her own thing occasionally as well. Secondly, I think Nameless hit it on the head - make the most of the time you have. Ultimately, being a dad trumps anything you can do as a hunter, so a little less time by yourself in the woods is 100% worth it. I can't wait until my boy is old enough to go with me.

Awesome thread! Nameless and Big Slick - excellent stuff. Slick - hope this finds you well sir! Get well and lets go goose hunting this fall!
JLS is right on. 1. I recommend the Kelty carrier - I/we never used a stroller for either kid. They stand up on their own when they fall asleep - but they rode on my back when they did not want to walk and they are priceless.
2 Hope for a boy next time brother :) kidding, but I had my boy first, and nothing ever changed. My daughter is tooting on goose calls and shouldering a Gamo. She has been on a few hunts. When she says its time to go dad - YOU GO NOW!
Bathroom finding is an issue as well. not like a boy whipping it out and pissin in the wind.
We were all in the belly boats last weekend. My son will be elk hunting this year now he is 10. My wife is amazing, and I love her. So too my daughter so much.
Muskeez can pipe in and tell you successes with girls too! He has it right!

3 Balance will always be critical. Flowers and showers of love. You hit the woods for 10 hours - that means 10 hours dedicated for the ladies. >>>Also, be ready to not be successful. I tried real hard, I hate tag soup - I will freeze on the mtn before I leave my pack empty, but it happens. You will not be out as much, be honest, and maybe like me, wonder off when hunting or fishing and start thinking about my wife and kids - so ya jump in the truck for home.
Otherwise, just keep hunting brother!

Congrats TRS! That's exciting!

I don't have any advice for you, but am reading this thread with interest because I hope to be in your shoes within the next 1-2 years!

The best advise anyone ever gave me was this. Never quit doing what it is you do. Kids will adapt to you quicker than you will get back into things if you quit. Many people I know quit hiking, camping, etc with kids because its harder. Slow down, teach them. My boys now openly refer to me as the pack mule or as there guide. Thats fine with me, as long as they enjoy it.

Enjoy this time and with a little pantience you will make it all work out. Besides taking the kids hunting or fishing is a great excuse that people don't judge as quickly.

Nameless Range,

That is one of the most frame-worthy pictures I have ever seen posted on the net!

TRS,

A lot of sound advice here. I don't think you will hunt a whole lot less than you think you will. Maybe just the first year.

Man, thanks a bunch for the great advice, guys (except holding your kid in one hand and shooting with the other....?) Some great ideas here. I will hopefully have some pics of next year's hunting season to put up on here (if I can ever figure out how to resize the pictures appropriately...).

For the next few years I recommend giving your wife some time alone and swap with time for you to hunt.Your son/daughter will be big enough in a few years to join you and then you can make a family trip out of it.I just can't see taking a baby or toddler out on a hunt and having much fun.But as they get a little older that's a whole different story.I do remember one season I took my daughter with me trapping when she was under a year old.Carried her in a backpack and did my thing,but when she would start to get bored or cold she sure let me know about it;and the rest of the world it seemed too.Wasn't my favorite year trapping then,and didn't do it with any of my other kids.Now my kids are older and when they see me getting ready to go out and scout/hike/hunt/fish they get ready to come along.They love it,but I NEVER pushed them into it.I think they just wanted to hang with Dad,and now I have 2 pretty darn good hunters/trappers that can read animal sign better then any other kids I know
Congrats, and for now just work some kind of agreement out with your wife

I make the most out of opening day and Saturday mornings.
My kids are hunting with me this year finally.

Make your hunts into family outings as much as possible. This helps to avoid the emotions of a separation void between you and your wife and kids. You have to start your kids young, or they may not take up the sport. Be attentive to your wife's needs and comfort while on the hunt. Find ways to make it fun for her and the kids, including other activities. They will look forward to going with you.

Definitely a good idea on the backpack carrier. Also, plan way way ahead. Get time off requested in advance. I am fortunate to have a schedule made up already, then I just make sure the mother-in-law is around the days I am gone to watch our daughter and provide emotional support while I'm gone. Lol

Congrats on the upcoming child!

Our oldest son turned 25 today. He was on his first successful hunt at a little over 6 months old along in a backpack on my back. I had to cover his ears when his mom killed a nice buck.

The best advice I can give is enjoy the early years because they will be grown and gone before you know it. I have found that there is a lot of good karma in being a good parent. You will probably find success a lot quicker than you have in the past....

My wife and I had a baby girl in June and went through the same thing. One thing I did to maximize my time last hunting season was in the mornings and evenings when I was watching her and couldn't actually hunt was to just go for drives and spend more time scouting. Then, when my wife or mother in law were able to watch her if I had a day off, I had a good idea where the deer and birds were hanging out. Just a thought. I usually get out hunting 4-5 days a week in some degree, but I didn't miss the lack of days last season as much as I thought I did. You'll want to be spending most of your time with the new little one. There's no experience like it. Congrats!

My only advice is enjoy every minute of time with them. They grow up FAST and are on their own and you are sitting there wondering where time went.

John

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back