PEAX Equipment

Advice for a new dad

Spend every second with them you can.....they will grow up before you know it. When you and your wife decide the time is right take them with you every chance you get. I can't keep my son(10) and daughter(8) out of the woods.If your doing your job as a father and husband no doubt your personal hunting time will suffer, but that's small price to pay for the bonding with your kids. It won't be long before they will be going with you......just my $ 0.02..... Good luck and God bless your family.....:cool:

Great thread, No advice.

Just thankful for all the memories this thread has resurrected in my old brain. Those were fun times!

Great thread. I have one son, who is about to turn 11. The only advice I give to new parents is ENJOY YOUR BABY! For me, that means getting them outside as much as possible, as early and often as possible. I have had to adjust my expectations: fishing the kiddie ponds, spending days hunting bugs instead of "serious" hunting, shorter outings. I would also say it's important for me as a dad to have some more "hard core" backcountry trips on the calendar without the family to keep my batteries charged. Not as much as I would like but...

Have always thought that wives and kids are no reason to put who you are on hold, but wives rate #1 on your list of priorities. If you are a good husband and make your wife feel important you will be able to enjoy the other things too. Don't put her on hold during hunting season.

No one has said anything about kids and guns. What I did worked out very well. I had three girls and a boy and never had a problem of any kind. I kept my lesson short. I explained that a gun is not a toy, it is a tool that allows me to go hunting and obtain food for the family, and is not something to be played with, and I never "played" with my guns. I made sure they understood then dropped the subject. There was no need for the subject to be mentioned again. I taught hunting skills to my son and today he is a good hunter and a good shot with both rifle and shotgun, and my favorite hunting companion.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Seems like all I hear from most people is how hard and tiring having kids is, but all I think about is how much fun it will be to take that little guy out and teach him how to become part of the woods.
Great advice on here!

Since you stated hunting I will stick with that....Leave the wife and kid at home to bond, just make sure to help out as much as possible before you plan your hunting time. She married you knowing how much you hunt so I'm sure she will understand, mine did. I stopped hunting until my kids were 9 and 5, so 15 years ago I started to bow hunt and I hunt hard. My wife understood this and luckily it has all worked out, love that women !

I just made sure the time I am at home I help out a lot, everything was always 50/50 minimum, every other feeding, every other diaper...etc.etc.etc...trust me when I say that balance goes a long way in both hunting and life.

I did say though, I did not hunt for the first 9 years :) But I did have other things that were more important, family and career.

I scouted with my daughter in the back pack carrier in the spring and summer, and in the fall I hunted a little less but still enough. I also made sure to do extra housework when not hunting in the fall to make up for time when I did. I also encourage my wife to visit in laws for longer periods and more frequently in the Septmeber- November months so I can be a bachelor then again. The first year was by far the hardest. So glad that one is over.

Back