PEAX Equipment

AAA pronghorns....

1_pointer

So, I drive 1200 miles west by my lonesome to WY to try to fill 3 pronghorn tags. I make it to just west of Laramie and set up camp near some state maintained pit toilets near a lake that used to have fish. Living the Hi-Life!!!

CampDiamondLake.jpg

First day I tried to check out a few basins/valleys that usually hold pronghorns, but didn't make it there and shot this one just past daybreak about 1/4 mile from the truck.

Doe1OpeningDay1.jpg

Unbeknownst to me at the time I was hunting the same unit/HMA as The Tone and the basins I was wanting to check out had a graded, graveled road right through it. At first I was a bit bummed, but later became thankful for. Long story shot, later on opening day I locked both my keys and cell phone in my truck! Not the sort of excitement I was hoping for. Luckily it was opening day so it wasn't too long before I could flag someone down. We tried to break in, but it didn't work. So, I used his phone to call AAA (hence the title) and thumbed a ride from another group of hunters to where I could meet the two truck. The new road was maintained, therefore AAA covered the whole bill!! Yeah, I can hunt again!!!

On the way out after opening the gates for the tow truck, I shot this doe/buck fawn in self defense. I spotted him about 250yds and he walked straight to me unti I shot him at about 50 yards. Little, yes. Tasty, yes.

Doe2-OpeningDay-BuckFawn3.jpg

The next two days were a combination of blown stalks and missed shots. I was not doing well connecting with a buck. I finally was able to get close enough and made the shot count. Nothing to be too excited over, but then again I just like hunting pronghorn and generally aren't very picky. Here's where he fell. I shot from the top of the hill directly above him.
Buck-JDRomsa-DiamondLakeHMA2-1.jpg

See not very big;
Buck-JDRomsa-DiamondLakeHMA7.jpg

Taking self timed photos is hard for the fat and slow:
Buck-JDRomsa-DiamondLakeHMA6.jpg

Awesome! Nice write up and its good to see you back out west.....

Hope all is well in Indiana

That does look like a great way to relax and get away for a while. Sounds like a great time, even with the AAA shenanigans.

The buck looks like he's an old one? At least in those pictures it looks like a big old head on him.

The lake "used to have fish". Why the past tense? I think I know the lake. Muddy tasting trout are not my cup of tea. Thanks for taking me along on another pronghorn adventure.

miller- make no mistake, I have no standards! You should have learned that by the buck I shot in MT...

k-dad- I'll have to defer to maybe Buzz or someone else who actually knows. But it appears that's the lake is holding much, much less water than previously. The handicap access ramp is a couple of hundred yds from the water's edge. The ducks and geese still like it though....

Looks like a good time, other than the keys issue. Next time I run into you hunting I promise to at least say hi.

what was the weapon of choice? 338?

I'm jealous of all you guys just starting your hunting season. I broke down and bought a winter coat, because I needed one today... :)

Tone- Please do! Now that I sorta, kinda know what you look like I'll do the same.

miller- Funny thing is, in the 4 years I've hunted this area, I don't think I've seen this much grass! Short grass prairie certainly is different. Regarding the gullies, it's not a big deal, it's on private... :D

Bambi- Marlin MR-7 30-06 with 165gr Partitions. I did recover the bullet from my buck. It smashed the left hip joint and I found it under the hide on the right shoulder. He was feeding away from me and I was afraid he'd soon be out of sight.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back