PEAX Equipment

7mm or 300 win??

lanetaxidermy

I was lucky enough to draw a Wyoming elk tag this year and I'm debating on which rifle to take. I have a Remington 700 in 7mm and I have a TC pro hunter in 300 win. I shoot 180 gr trophy bonded out of the 300, but I'm still up in the air on what bullets to use out of the 7mm if I decide to use that. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks Tom

I would take whichever one you are most confident with. I don't think a dead elk will care which gun it was!

I shoot Barnes 145LRX out of my 7RM @ 3,100....it makes elk meat.

Picture242.jpg

I was lucky enough to draw a Wyoming elk tag this year and I'm debating on which rifle to take. I have a Remington 700 in 7mm and I have a TC pro hunter in 300 win. I shoot 180 gr trophy bonded out of the 300, but I'm still up in the air on what bullets to use out of the 7mm if I decide to use that. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks Tom

I'd take a bolt action 7mm over a single shot 300 any day. Pair it up with a 160gr Nosler Accbond and sharpen your knife!

Take them both, as I always have at least one backup rifle on any trip I take.

This is great advice, better safe than sorry. Then when you get there use the one you shoot best. I am a fan of the Nosler Partitions. This past season I shot the 180gr in 30-06 and my partner was shooting the 160gr in 280 Ack Improved. Out of three elk the farthest one went 20 yds. There were devestating results inside. Best of luck!!

I hunted in Wyoming last year and was only about 1 1/2 hours from the house and I took two guns with me. You just never know when a problem may arise. A back up is a great plan B.;)

agree with BellyDeep.
and everyone who said shoot the one your the most comfortable with. ( and then pack the other one too)

just switched to the 160gr Accubond for my 7mm. running imr 4831. 58.5, 60.6, 62.7 and 64.8. Sprayed a couple targets today and the 62.7 had the tightest 5 shot group minus the human error.

P1010878_zpsf119ba57.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back