MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

60 Minutes Wyoming Green Energy Segment

I came up with this link. Getting to expense oil and gas exploration and well development costs as they acrure, is considered a "tax break" by some.🙄

Meanwhile......

This link is kind of lame but has some interesting details.

Subsidies to manufacture.

30% tax credit for the individual purchaser.

I can provide more if you like to compare apple to oranges.

Berkshire Hathaway no doubt getting some tax credit assistance by diversifying into wind energy.

And picking up some side hussle cash from facebook/Meta by allowing them to clean up their carbon footprint.

I need to start investing in wind farms!

I've shared this before, and I wish the Nuclear Industry would update this study (they originally commissioned it when they were asking for Federal loans guarantees for Vogtle). Certainly the renewable mix would change significantly over the past 13 years, I'd love to know where it is now.

View attachment 306885

EDIT* They did update it in 2016.

View attachment 306888

What I don't understand is Oil/NG/Coal are all extraction of a commodity and also the industries of generation of electricity or production of fuel.

So are we putting gasoline breaks, in with excise tax reduction, in with some sort of tax break for a utility.

Oil for example is a commodity and while it's used to create electricity around ~3% is also used to make pharmaceuticals... also used to make textiles

So if we are including the various oil extraction tax breaks into the bucket of "power generation" wouldn't it, by exactly the same logic, be fair to characterize Patagonia or Pfizer as getting a tax subsidy?

Are there tax breaks for mining Uranium? All the various minerals used in solar panels...

Plus since it's a commodity, it's possible that any given power plant refinery ect is actually using foreign crude.... which obviously wouldn't have the tax break.

This post isn't cheering on OG or refuting tax breaks, they certainly exist, I just don't understand the methodology one would use to make these kinds of generalizations and or to make a fair comparison.

What I don't understand is Oil/NG/Coal are all extraction of a commodity and also the industries of generation of electricity or production of fuel.

So are we putting gasoline breaks, in with excise tax reduction, in with some sort of tax break for a utility.

Oil for example is a commodity and while it's used to create electricity around ~3% is also used to make pharmaceuticals... also used to make textiles

So if we are including the various oil extraction tax breaks into the bucket of "power generation" wouldn't it, by exactly the same logic, be fair to characterize Patagonia or Pfizer as getting a tax subsidy?

Are there tax breaks for mining Uranium? All the various minerals used in solar panels...

Plus since it's a commodity, it's possible that any given power plant refinery ect is actually using foreign crude.... which obviously wouldn't have the tax break.

This post isn't cheering on OG or refuting tax breaks, they certainly exist, I just don't understand the methodology one would use to make these kinds of generalizations and or to make a fair comparison.
Law makers + lobbyists + time= big $*)Q!#@$ complicated mess!

I don’t think the post was to deep dive into all the secondary and the tertiary effects of energy policy, but to rebut the knee-jerk reaction that renewables uniquiely only survive with govt incentives. In addition to the obvious tax benefits enjoyed by OG (and many other industries in the crony-capitalist economy), we have to look at these industries at their maturity levels.

Taxpayers will pay more for kids and the very elderly than for a 40-something, because in part the nature of their age and circumstances. In early OG development look at the likely trillions of dollars of tax funded infrastructure to enable the auto & gasoline -industries early launch. We built roads, gave favorable tax treatment, toppled democratically elected 3rd world leaders, etc.

In the end, it all gave a subset of the American people what they wanted — in turn a transition to post-petroleum economy will take a huge multi-decade investment - and it too will give a subset of Americans what they are asking for now. We live in a mixed market/govt reality and have since at least the civil war and the building of the railroads. It’s how shit gets done. Sorry if this shit isn‘t a person’s preferred shit - life ain’t perfect.

I for one look forward to a 5th/6th gen nuclear powered electric/hydrogen economy. Only 3rd world countries will remain on coal-based energy systems. Weird that the American first crowd wants us to be the technology laggards and leave to the Chinese and the Europeans the next wave economy.

I don’t think the post was to deep dive into all the secondary and the tertiary effects of energy policy, but to rebut the knee-jerk reaction that renewables uniquiely only survive with govt incentives. In addition to the obvious tax benefits enjoyed by OG (and many other industries in the crony-capitalist economy), we have to look at these industries at their maturity levels.

Taxpayers will pay more for kids and the very elderly than for a 40-something, because in part the nature of their age and circumstances. In early OG development look at the likely trillions of dollars of tax funded infrastructure to enable the auto & gasoline -industries early launch. We built roads, gave favorable tax treatment, toppled democratically elected 3rd world leaders, etc.

In the end, it all gave a subset of the American people what they wanted — in turn a transition to post-petroleum economy will take a huge multi-decade investment - and it too will give a subset of Americans what they are asking for now. We live in a mixed market/govt reality and have since at least the civil war and the building of the railroads. It’s how shit gets done. Sorry if this shit isn‘t a person’s preferred shit - life ain’t perfect.

I for one look forward to a 5th/6th gen nuclear powered electric/hydrogen economy. Only 3rd world countries will remain on coal-based energy systems. Weird that the American first crowd wants us to be the technology laggards and leave to the Chinese and the Europeans the next wave economy.

Screenshot_20231219_140533_Google.jpg

That part you dismiss in all this, without the massive subsidies, projects like this would not be financially feasible to construct.
That isn't entirely true. The subsidies affect the rate of return, but these projects would still turn profit without them. There's a lot of factors that affect something's profitability, but political hyperbole you read on the internet isn't a great source.

I don't agree with subsidies - it picks winners and losers in what should be an open market.

Now google the "Ames" brothers and their money grab with the subsidized rail construction. Then read about the subsidies the federal government has provided rail roads. Then read up on the state and federal land that gets minerals leased for pennies on the dollar. After that, while you are mad about subsidies, why don't you see that the average grazing fee per cow calf pair is under $1.50 a month per. Then read up on the land that has been acquired for cheap for pipelines, railways, and powerlines.

Find a major industry thats not subsidized.

This all sounds wonderful to have such an enlightened and forward thinking economy where energy is cheap and plentiful. They said back in the 1950's that electricity was going to be so cheap and abundant that people didn't need to worry about insulating their homes because of the newly harnessed power of the atom.
Truth is it's been an all of the above energy policy and relatively cheap power compared to many parts of the world that has made this country and economy what it is. Those who think we can just wish that away are, in my opinion, at best misinformed.
I like to dream of the day we can all power our Delorean's on Mr. Fusions, but until then the American coal miner and roughneck will continue to help power this country.

Sure, no different than coal producing more energy than required in diesel to dig it out of the ground. But a solar panel has way higher output on a net basis over its 30yr life than required to make it and at a much cheaper price than coal. You would have been better choosing nat gas as your source. ;)
More like 25 years life. Net savings depends on the cost of electricity for each particular location.

That isn't entirely true. The subsidies affect the rate of return, but these projects would still turn profit without them. There's a lot of factors that affect something's profitability, but political hyperbole you read on the internet isn't a great source.

I don't agree with subsidies - it picks winners and losers in what should be an open market.

Now google the "Ames" brothers and their money grab with the subsidized rail construction. Then read about the subsidies the federal government has provided rail roads. Then read up on the state and federal land that gets minerals leased for pennies on the dollar. After that, while you are mad about subsidies, why don't you see that the average grazing fee per cow calf pair is under $1.50 a month per. Then read up on the land that has been acquired for cheap for pipelines, railways, and powerlines.

Find a major industry thats not subsidized.
It's true. None of the wind and solar projects would get off the ground without the subsidies. And your drifting from the thread topic, green energy, Wyoming in particular.

Lots of good points about limitations on many renewables, need for grid, conversion of existing facilities instead of mothballing - but in no way does coal make sense in 2023. It needs to be fully replaced by at least natural gas and preferably nuclear backbone supporting various renewables. I am no lefty and no tree hugger, but coal is bad mojo all around.
I agree coal industry workers etc
..sooner or later need to transition into oil, natural gas and by ALL means nuclear power. Of course, the sooner the better, but the last couple years there has been a slow down in this transition. We haven't got anywhere with wind and solar has ruined some nice landscapes!

This all sounds wonderful to have such an enlightened and forward thinking economy where energy is cheap and plentiful. They said back in the 1950's that electricity was going to be so cheap and abundant that people didn't need to worry about insulating their homes because of the newly harnessed power of the atom.
Truth is it's been an all of the above energy policy and relatively cheap power compared to many parts of the world that has made this country and economy what it is. Those who think we can just wish that away are, in my opinion, at best misinformed.
I like to dream of the day we can all power our Delorean's on Mr. Fusions, but until then the American coal miner and roughneck will continue to help power this country.
The American coal miner, roughneck, etc are all going to continue to help power this country for a long time, probably forever until fusion is successful at scale. Renewables can't be the only source of power - no one with a functioning brain is arguing for that.
It's true. None of the wind and solar projects would get off the ground without the subsidies. And your drifting from the thread topic, green energy, Wyoming in particular.
That isn't "true" you don't "know" that. It's a politically informed opinion.

If we really want to transition to nuclear, they need to figure out how to build new reactors in this country in less than 15 years time. Vogtle was given financial incentives from the Obama administration in its early days. One of the units has just now come on line, the other one still not functional. In the process Westinghouse went bankrupt, Southern Company lost billions and massive delays and overruns on budget occurred.
Doesn't look like we'll be seeing a large increase in nuclear generation in this country anytime soon. Even the existing single unit stations are going out of business because they are not cost competitive. Man hours and NRC red tape precludes nuclear from being low cost generators.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Bornlzr
Back