Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

This Should Be Interesting

Having watched the wolf watchers in the Lamar Valley of YNP often since the "reintroduction", I can believe it. Those who travel there on their own have some very high end binos, spotting scopes and camera gear. They spend a lot of tourist dollars in Cooke City, Red Lodge, West Yellowstone, Cody and other gateway towns, resorts, and lodges. Those who are outfitted by the wolf watching guide services pay even more for the opportunity just to observe wolves. For me personally the many watchers with whom I've had conversations initially seemed fanatically humorous, then later flatout impressed me with their study and knowledge of even individual wolves. 'No surprise that the well known wolf legally hunted and taken near Gardiner created a stir ... as it seems some of the wolf watchers value their favorite wolf over their own family members!

Straight Arrow:

I agree 100% with your assessment. It is not hard at all to believe the 35 million dollar figure.

Regarding the "good glass" comment by tjones, some of those high end (read Swarovski) spotting scopes are rented, but the die hards all own their own. All of the outfitted wildlife watching tours typically use Swarovski glass.

Those wolf watching folks are extremely passionate about their pursuits, some to the point they are a little over the top.

ClearCreek

The good glass comment is funny, I said the same thing when we were in Yellowstone the last week of September. I've never seen so many expensive cameras and spotting scopes in one place.

I guess the only necessary piece of equipment for wolf watchers is glass, so it's easy to buy the best. if they were buying a tent, backpack, gun, license/tag, camp equipment, and the latest and greatest camo, they may be running something a little more economical than swaros.

I've never been to Yellowstone so I don't know if it was right of me to be surprised that there were only 100 wolves. I imagine it as this huge place that could have far more running around, but if I recall the park employee said that number is pretty stable

I've never been to Yellowstone so I don't know if it was right of me to be surprised that there were only 100 wolves. I imagine it as this huge place that could have far more running around, but if I recall the park employee said that number is pretty stable

You have to remember how the western Rockies are built. Much of the landscape is Rocks and Granite. It can't support the animals per square mile that places back east or in midwest can. I live in Ravalli County and much of the acreage here on the west and south side of the Valley are all Granite. Other than a few hundred Rocky Mt Goats that call that place home, there's far lesser numbers of ungulates that make those types of habitat their home. So less predators as well.

The script was written before the interviews and with only 15 minutes for the segment, you are not going to get much in depth coverage on the subject. It is what it is. I found the filming to be authentic, particularly the helicopter collaring scene, and the pack taking down the bull. The wolf watchers coming from all over the world to see wolves have a lot of money to spend, and are not afraid to spend it. Winter tourism will get a big bump in Yellowstone after this show.

My wife was surprised that the average life of a wolf was only 5 years. I was surprised it was that long. The average city person that watched the show will see the wolves in a more favorable light and that was the intent all along.

Good job Randy trying to represent the hunters perspective. Thanks for the effort!

I question the intelligence of someone who would pay someone else to take them to the side of a paved road in a place open to everybody to look at animals with their own eyes. A fool and his money...

A fool and his money...
This fool long ago quit calculating the price per pound of elk put in the freezer ... but at least I have those packages to thaw, cook, and savor, to go along with the aches, pains, and memories of the hunt. A photo of a woof just don't do it for me!

While paying $1K + for a "guided" wolf watching expedition is well within their rights, those $ short of some local spending I assume benefit the guides. I'd be curious to know if anything goes to the actual benefit of the wolves and/or management.

The piece was not as one sided as I expected, but did not dive into any key issues except the minor discussion of predation. I was disappointed that with 2 hours of interview content they only used 2 small soundbites from someone who has extensive knowledge on the way this reintroduction was implemented. I did about spit up a mouth of coffee on the Multi Color Flatulence comment. Too Funny. Perhaps the ability to understand the flaws of how the process was undertaken and it's effect on future reintroductions is too difficult for most to understand or not "feel good" enough.

BTW, based on the glass I saw, wolf watchers must be doing pretty well! :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks Randy for trying to give a voice of reason! Too bad they edited out alot that didn’t fight their agenda. Surprised they put in the rainbow �� comment in!

Please print the "rainbows out of their ass" t-shirts on something other than cotton. All these outdoor groups printing on cotton that no one would wear except to the local pint night...

Thanks for doing this, Randy. IMO they pretty much told the facts - the park service guy with the mustache was pretty straight, they had favorable stuff such as the changes in vegetation, a hunter, and a rancher. Cant ask for much more than that. That sequence with the wolves basically eating the elk alive gave the facts if you are willing to face them.

I find a little irony in how quick some are to criticize/mock/condemn how others spend their money if they have different views and life philosophy.

The more I think about it, the better the show looks. The interviews were all with people who are interested in wolves as wolves - park ranger, hunter, rancher, wolf watcher. Conspicuously absent were the groups that use wolves as a tool to raise money.

Agree with the last 3 posts.

It is a condensed 15 minute piece, can't tell the whole story. But thought it was good for such a short piece.

I blinked...was Randy in there? Lol.

Balanced: mostly, could have been better. As an intro to wolves, it will definitely push you towards the emotional side of it. how do hunters contribute to wolf science and longevity.
Science based: could have been better. Much has been written about wolves not restoring the ecoystem as a popular video has proclaimed.
interesting: who doesn't like YNP and the wolf story?
Would like: follow up on issues. predation, hunting, management.
RE: hunting: we have an opportunity to tell our story and wolf passion, on our terms. We should do that.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back