This Should Be Interesting

I give Randy HUGE props for even willing to be interviewed by 60 minutes. They were obviously not interested in the hunting side but at least they didn’t mug him....

I agree. At least they tried to present a hunters point of view. I do wish that they would have bothered explaining(even briefly) that hunting is management.

You did good Randy. I know the story was about ''The wolves of Yellowstone", but wish they had talked more about the 2000, or so living outside the park. They claim wolf watching brings 35 million to the economy of the Yellowstone area. No mention of the millions spent on elk related recreation in Wyoming, Idaho and Montana.

I was surprised that it was mainly a story about folks watching them in Yellowstone. More of a feel good piece than anything. At least they didn’t stir the pot.

Boy they brought up a lot of stuff and didn't explain much. I might be interested in 60min if they spent the entire episode explaining and showing one subject instead of craming multiple stories into one show, and not doing justice on any or them.

Major props for doing the interview Randy, and don't waste your time reading the hate mail onslaught.

Glad to have Randy represent hunters and the Big Fin came across just fine. However, much like many "60 Minutes" televised articles interviewing several prominent individuals, it consistently comes up short on context and leaves one with the realization that there was much more to the discussion than "the big bad wolf or rainbows coming out of their ass". Anyhow kudos to Randy and to CBS for painting a complex situation with a concisely informative brush. I think many of us on this forum know much more about the evolvement of the wolf reintroduction and of the many issues surrounding it. Thus it is difficult for us to see such an abbreviated version, with a helluvalot left out.

I think many of us on this forum know much more about the evolvement of the wolf reintroduction and of the many issues surrounding it. Thus it is difficult for us to see such an abbreviated version, with a helluvalot left out.
Pretty much how I feel. mtmuley

They painted the reintroduction as a glorious success story for everyone including hunters and ranchers. Randy's quotes were edited to support that narrative.

Would have been fair to talk to a rancher that has had losses. Such a rosy picture they paint. Also no mention that they've spread all the way to the west coast.

You shared the following within this piece (An amazing read!) - http://www.rmef.org/NewsandMedia/PressRoom/PredatorManagementControl/BugleArticles/Newberg.aspx

My respect had grown. My attitude had changed. Chasing wolves in these mountains can do that, even to the most serious elk hunter.

As a vocal critic of how the wolf delisting process occurred, I found myself examining my earlier ideas of what was fact and what was fiction. Eleven days of hunting wolves helped me gain some clarity.

You shared this around the same time as your televised wolf hunt. Is this an area where your view has modified?

Some dream that wolves and prey will find some perfect balance. That may have been possible 400 years ago over large uninterrupted landscapes. With a half billion people living on this continent, fracturing elk and deer habitat, changing landscapes with our presence, such balance is a nice thought, but impractical. Until all 500 million of us agree to pack our bags and leave this continent, restoring it back to its original condition, the days of self-balancing within some socially acceptable population ranges will not happen.

Very much value your opinion. You don't demand people hear your voice boom nor do you exaggerate simply to argue. You simply shoot it straight and in today's time, that's extremely rare.

I, personally, believe this was a far greater open collection of information vs 60 minutes little snippets...

Very interesting show(?) that includes You, Hal Herring, Lisa Upson, Ed Bangs, and a variety of leading representatives for most all views. This would have been a good format for 60 minutes to have used as a guide.

A very good read!

https://www.retroreport.org/transcript/wolves-at-the-door/

Last edited:
The interview was heavily favorable for those in favor of the reintroduction, they made a point to say how some shrubs had made a rebound and painted an ultra simplistic picture.. I thought your statement of having more respect for the wolf after having hunted them hit the nail on the head and if more folks in society would take that approach they wouldn't be so fast to make hasty decisions

I believe the piece portrayed what was intended; what is the situation 20 years later, and not an "was it a good idea" piece. They talked primarily to the park personnel and pretty much conveyed the parks opinion. They could have just read it off the wolf display placard and saved everybody a lot of time.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I guess it could of been worse but it could of been way better. Thanks Randy for your valiant effort. I love the spin on the influx of herds of beavers now. No mention of the elk numbers prior to and now. And then to show a heathy looking bull get taken down but add the dialogue that they attack the old,young and weak. Oh well it is what it is.

I have a hard time believing that 35 mil is spent on wolf watching,,I would guess that would make up for 35 mil lost in elk and deer losses,,,at least they showed a perfectly healthy 6 pt bull being killed,, didn't look weak and old to me,,, sorry it have more Hunter input in it,, good job Randy,too bad they didn't have more of you in it

As a Minnesota resident with a camp in wolf country and having had more than a few interactions with wolves on the ground, thought the piece "wasn't to bad".

Doug Smith is hard to read, but was happy to see his comments towards the end of the interview.

As far as the small snippet of a hunters perspective, it wasn't damaging or negative imo to hunting or Randy. When you're sitting in the choir getting preached too, cool aid sure tastes good when you're thirsty, but when you're sitting in a pew getting preached at and have to take a piss, warm holy water isn't appealing.

In other words, didn't feel like it was to preachy pro wolf and anti hunting.

Last edited:
I have a hard time believing that 35 mil is spent on wolf watching.

Those wolf watchers have nice glass.

Having watched the wolf watchers in the Lamar Valley of YNP often since the "reintroduction", I can believe it. Those who travel there on their own have some very high end binos, spotting scopes and camera gear. They spend a lot of tourist dollars in Cooke City, Red Lodge, West Yellowstone, Cody and other gateway towns, resorts, and lodges. Those who are outfitted by the wolf watching guide services pay even more for the opportunity just to observe wolves. For me personally the many watchers with whom I've had conversations initially seemed fanatically humorous, then later flatout impressed me with their study and knowledge of even individual wolves. 'No surprise that the well known wolf legally hunted and taken near Gardiner created a stir ... as it seems some of the wolf watchers value their favorite wolf over their own family members!

Those wolf watchers have nice glass.

That's what I was thinking. And they paid thousands to be guided to spot a wolf in Yellowstone. LOL Must be city folk. I thought the piece was interesting and pretty well done considering it was CBS.

Back