MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

4 Canadian wolves air-dropped in US national park to deal with moose

They’ll be on the mainland first cold winter that allows ice crossing.

The previous batch did not do that. With a little luck and reproduction, most of the wolves will stay, but in any relocation event, animals that are relocated generally go on walk-about initially.

The previous batch did not do that. With a little luck and reproduction, most of the wolves will stay, but in any relocation event, animals that are relocated generally go on walk-about initially.
Will probably depend on how many winters between now and then - if next winter I would predict they will be gone - if we go 3 or 4 without they will probably have settled in.

I think even next winter most, if not all will stay, ice or not. They will be packed up and familiar with the place. When they "hack" out wolves in Yellowstone, how long did they keep them penned? I don't recall any of the details? In this case, the island is the pen.

Brent D,
I posted a month ago about one of the 4 transplanted in december, crossed the ice last month. The ice is currently there now, it is very possible they take off anytime.

Last edited:
Now there's a thought... 🙄

LANSING, Mich. — A bipartisan group of Michigan lawmakers argue a limited hunt is the best way to control an “exploding population” of moose at Isle Royale National Park.

Squash bugs airdropped into the pumpkin patch to control excessive pumpkins...

Bowl weevils airdropped into TX to control excessive cotton production...

Now there's a thought... 🙄

Legislators are generally ignorant and often stupid. This is one of those times.

I like the fine print which said they had to bring in the Canadian wolves as the current pack wasn't getting the job done. Apparently one of the existing collard wolves escaped off the island when everything froze up during a recent polar vortex...
People keep saying they are trying to escape off the island. Apparently nobody knows how wolves and packs operate. Single wolves constantly roam out from their home ranges. Not every wolf is excepted into a pack.

People keep saying they are trying to escape off the island. Apparently nobody knows how wolves and packs operate. Single wolves constantly roam out from their home ranges. Not every wolf is excepted into a pack.
Not to mention relocated animals always try to home back to their previous location or at least figure out where they are in the landscape.

Why is it a bad idea to let the hunters control the herd? Sell more tags. They make more money. Herd is controlled. How are wolves a better idea?

Wolves are not like hunters at all. They are present 24/7/365. They alter moose behavior in very different ways than humans, and that has impacts that we are only beginning to understand.

It's not about how many moose get killed, it's how they die. Control is not simply mortality. And moose are not moo$e. The DNR and feds are not supposed to be profiting from wildlife. That's not their mandate or mission. I don't understand why hunters have such a hard time understanding this.

I wonder how much money was spent on those 4 wolves. Yellowstone's Canadian wolves cost the taxpayers millions upon millions to release and for the so called management of those killing machines.

Wolves are not like hunters at all. They are present 24/7/365. They alter moose behavior in very different ways than humans, and that has impacts that we are only beginning to understand.

It's not about how many moose get killed, it's how they die. Control is not simply mortality. And moose are not moo$e. The DNR and feds are not supposed to be profiting from wildlife. That's not their mandate or mission. I don't understand why hunters have such a hard time understanding this.
You're correct Brent, the Feds aren't supposed to be profiting from wildlife. Wasting taxpayer dollars on stupid projects is what they do best, that's their Mission.

You're correct Brent, the Feds aren't supposed to be profiting from wildlife. Wasting taxpayer dollars on stupid projects is what they do best, that's their Mission.

Well, I am beginning to hope they do more of it. 'cuz I'm pretty tired of the endless diatribe that the solution to everything is more hunters. If you can't be bothered to try to understand what the point of the project is, why am I'm wasting my time.

Sorry but this topic grows old and stale in the same ol' repetitive bs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back