4 Canadian wolves air-dropped in US national park to deal with moose

Why wouldn't a hunting season be best? Grand Teton National Park has an Elk reduction season, and it was great until the Canadian Wolves were released.

Because wolves do more to moose that kill them. And that feeds back into the trophic change and dynamics of the entire system.

Yes of course they were, they train them to only scent out the Moose and leave every other prey alone! LOL

There is no other prey for wolves on the island besides maybe chipmunks.

No, a hunting season would not be best. But that is irrelevant since it will not happen anyway.

I do feel like you could sustain a population of moose there using a hunting season, but I'll admit that I am not a biologist and it's probably more complicated than it appears. I do agree that it is irrelevant, which is why I have zero issue with the wolves being transplanted there. That and wolves are one of my favorite animals.

I agree you could sustain a moose herd there. You could sustain one in a large pasture too. But that is not what National Parks are all about. It's not about farming for targets.

Wolves on IR also feed heavily on beaver in the soft water months.

Why do you call animals that can't be hunted "targets"?

I noticed you did the same thing in the caribou thread even though they were also not a hunted animal.

Because I feel that there is a large segment of the hunting population that feels that is the duty of any and wildlife management. Not much interest in the ecosystem that is involved. Just in putting horns on the ground. Suggesting that moose should be hunted instead of regulated by predators or resources often stems from that sort of perspective. Many game species are already being managed at far above what would be the norm for them in a given environment (e.g., whitetails almost everywhere) mostly at the behest of the hunting community at to the detriment of the environments involved.

I agree you could sustain a moose herd there. You could sustain one in a large pasture too. But that is not what National Parks are all about. It's not about farming for targets.

Wolves on IR also feed heavily on beaver in the soft water months.
Are you sure you shouldn't be on the PETA website Brent?

Because I feel that there is a large segment of the hunting population that feels that is the duty of any and wildlife management. Not much interest in the ecosystem that is involved. Just in putting horns on the ground. Suggesting that moose should be hunted instead of regulated by predators or resources often stems from that sort of perspective. Many game species are already being managed at far above what would be the norm for them in a given environment (e.g., whitetails almost everywhere) mostly at the behest of the hunting community at to the detriment of the environments involved.

It's not about being regulated by anything other than nature. If we're going to call this a place that exists beyond the hand of man, then if the wolves all leave and the moose all starve to death, that's okay. But if humans are going to manage the populations, then there's really no difference between importing wolves, who've shown a desire to leave, or allowing hunters to draw tags.

Are you sure you shouldn't be on the PETA website Brent?

I don't think anything Brent said has been anti-hunting. He looks at things from a bit different perspective than many and there's nothing wrong with that. If everyone here had the exact same viewpoint it would be a pretty boring place.

Brent, I respect your opinions though as we both know, we disagree on various topics. Without such varied opinions we'd be almost robotic in thought. with that said;

The "ecosystem" is out of whack and has been since the human population has pushed wildlife into small sections, here and there - worldwide. Humans are part of this cycle and as such possess the conservation of wildlife. The days of self sustaining wildlife is a thing of the past. Conservation is in our hands.

Sytes,
"Conservation is in our hands" is exactly why they are putting wolves on IR. Score one for science and wildlife management.

People need to read up on Isle Royale and the moose wolf populations prior to popping off. Reintroduction, with new genetic material, is the right thing

Maybe they should relocate the moose to GYE and the rest of Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho. Those ones resistant to the Canadian tapeworms?

Reintroduction after reintroduction, after reintroduction... Left with inbreeding options - called for another round of reintroduction... How about reintroduce American hunters who want to fill their freezer?

Reintroduction after reintroduction, after reintroduction... Left with inbreeding options - called for another round of reintroduction... How about reintroduce American hunters who want to fill their freezer?
Or we just stop and let nature do what she does.

I thought you guys (Sytes) were all for human intervention conservation. That is exactly what the NPS is doing with the wolves. Human intervention in the name of conservation. Only way to get it done.

Interesting perspective but that is getting into a lot more than labeling them "targets" which has nothing to do with things like "ecosystems" and what not.

I just thought it was strange since in neither case hunting was allowed on the caribou or the moose. Seemed odd to claim that they were "targets" because of that , especially in the Idaho situation since the wolves were the ones who could be hunted not the caribou.

Seems like in both situations the only animals who were "targets" were the wolves in Idaho that could be hunted and these Canadian wolves (before they were moved).

Why would a moose that can't be hunted be considered a "target" to you?
Why would a protected caribou that can't be hunted be considered a "target" to you?

Or we just stop and let nature do what she does.

No more wolves on the Isle Royale due to no more human involved re, re, re introduction of wolves?

I thought you guys (Sytes) were all for human intervention conservation. That is exactly what the NPS is doing with the wolves. Human intervention in the name of conservation. Only way to get it done.
I am for conservation hunts that feed American families. Not transplanting wolves that are feeding happily elsewhere merely to feed on Moose that are over populating because NPS has to focus on feared inbreeding of wolves. Heck of a lot of moose meat and a lot of families that just might value a freezer filled. I'll take that over wolves any day of the week. After all, Humans are included within the cycle of our world's ecosystem.

I am for conservation hunts that feed American families. Not transplanting wolves that are feeding happily elsewhere merely to feed on Moose that are over populating because NPS has to focus on feared inbreeding of wolves. Heck of a lot of moose meat and a lot of families that just might value a freezer filled. I'll take that over wolves any day of the week. After all, Humans are included within the cycle of our world's ecosystem.

Realistically those tags would go for thousands of dollars to a handful of people, none of whom have any NEED for freezer filling. And if you think we should practice wealth redistribution and take that meat from the hunters and hand it out to the poor, well, it would be a whole bunch cheaper to just buy them some groceries down at the local Hi Vee or whatever is the local grocer.

And, of course none of that gets around the fact that moose hunters with rifles are no substitute for moose hunters with fangs. And the entire system feels that. Best management in a human-intervention conservation plan would definitely include a top carnivore like this.

Realistically those tags would go for thousands of dollars to a handful of people, none of whom have any NEED for freezer filling. And if you think we should practice wealth redistribution and take that meat from the hunters and hand it out to the poor, well, it would be a whole bunch cheaper to just buy them some groceries down at the local Hi Vee or whatever is the local grocer.

And, of course none of that gets around the fact that moose hunters with rifles are no substitute for moose hunters with fangs. And the entire system feels that. Best management in a human-intervention conservation plan would definitely include a top carnivore like this.

Nope, it would likely be just like the resident only Elk draw I mentioned earlier. I think it was 15 bucks last year. Michigan doesn’t care about money unless it’s a gas tax.....

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back