4 Canadian wolves air-dropped in US national park to deal with moose

Cool! I believe these might have come from another island in Lake Superior that Canada owns. Nice to see the cross border collaboration.

I would of gladly paid to hunt one of them. Funny that we have elk tags here and there is upward of 30,000 aps for about 150 tags last time I looked. Even with max points I will likely never draw. The article eludes to 1500 moose which is about what the elk population is. With the demand the elk liscence generate, there is quite a bit of money lost to conservation by this decision.

I think they should have tried to relocate some of the moose to North Eastern MN, to try and help them come back. The last wolf they tried to reintroduce went back across the ice bridge.

I think they should have tried to relocate some of the moose to North Eastern MN, to try and help them come back. The last wolf they tried to reintroduce went back across the ice bridge.

They'd need to kill all the whitetails first to give them a chance.

Plan to introduce... reintroduce and reintroduce... and reintroduce...then some.

Welcome to the Hotel Isle Royale...

...Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back to the place I was before
'Relax' said the night man,
'We are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like,
But you can never leave!'

I like the fine print which said they had to bring in the Canadian wolves as the current pack wasn't getting the job done. Apparently one of the existing collard wolves escaped off the island when everything froze up during a recent polar vortex...

A hunting season would be best, but given that isn't going to happen, I have no issues with relocating wolves to the island. There is no way you are transplanting moose from Isle Royal to the MN mainland and even if it was feasible, it wouldn't make a difference. MN moose have bigger problems that a few moose from the island won't solve.

No, a hunting season would not be best. But that is irrelevant since it will not happen anyway.

No, a hunting season would not be best. But that is irrelevant since it will not happen anyway.
Why wouldn't a hunting season be best? Grand Teton National Park has an Elk reduction season, and it was great until the Canadian Wolves were released.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back