Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

325 wsm

I hope your results vary from mine... I ran a few tests of RL-17 and just couldn't get it to shoot worth a dang... I don't remember what the velocity was like, but I couldn't get it under 1.5 MOA.

Dang it.

I've had good success in mid-bores.

Ben, when I was in Cabelas in billings over the summer they had a browning in 325 that was left handed. It was cheap too, like 400 bucks IIRC. Being a lefty it might still be there. It was a fancy wood one too, if it's still there it might be a match made in heaven.😁

Hey I know this is an old post but I was able to achieve 2950 fps with a 200 gr partition using RL-17 in a 24" barrel in my win 70 325 wsm.

I had a 325 wsm built a few years back on a Win 70 action, and have zero complaints. Wanted a pack rifle with a shorter barrel than the 300 win I was carrying (still LOVE this cartridge). Could have gone with 300 wsm, but decided to do something different. Almost had the rifle chambered in 35 Sambar aka 35 wsm.

I've found the 325 to be pretty versatile. I really like Barnes 160 ttsx for deer and hogs, and 200 gr Accubond for elk. Just loaded up some 180 gr GMXs for a cow hunt this fall. Super accurate in this rifle, and heck, I just like to mix things up. Probably why I own to many rifles.....

No experience, but I bet it would be an incredible elk round. Versatile if you’re reloading, maybe not so much if you’re depending on factory loads. I experience that same thing with my .264 WM

As my screen name would indicate I too have experience with the 325, I have a browning A-bolt & really like it. Surprisingly easy on my shoulder, fun to shoot. I was lucky enough to stock up on a lot of reloading components when i bought it so I'm set.

Someone ask on another forum about a dedicated elk rifle. My answer was I have 3. I love my 673 in 300 saum and the Weathermark in 300. If I could only keep one, it’d be the Model 70 in .325. A short action, pushes a 200 grain Barnes at 2900 fps. What’s not to love?

It's a cool cartridge for sure but I think it will be abandoned by ammo makers eventually. If you can load for it I would stock up on brass. Otherwise it's a great performing cartridge that should be more popular.

So, say I was planning on building a Remington Model 7 with a magnum bolt face. Is there any reason the 325 WSM wouldn't be a great choice? I was planning on 300 WSM but 8mm really intrigues me.

So, say I was planning on building a Remington Model 7 with a magnum bolt face. Is there any reason the 325 WSM wouldn't be a great choice? I was planning on 300 WSM but 8mm really intrigues me.
The lack of available loaded ammunition for the 325 over the 300 if you don't reload. Even if you reload the selection for .323 bullets is nothing compared to the selection of .308 bullets. I have both cartridges but if I was going to build a rifle it would be the .300 wsm just because of the availability of bullets. If you don't reload, I would suggest the .300 wsm hands down. If you reload and want something different go with the .325 wsm.

The lack of available loaded ammunition for the 325 over the 300 if you don't reload. Even if you reload the selection for .323 bullets is nothing compared to the selection of .308 bullets. I have both cartridges but if I was going to build a rifle it would be the .300 wsm just because of the availability of bullets. If you don't reload, I would suggest the .300 wsm hands down. If you reload and want something different go with the .325 wsm.

Yeah, I’m a big reloader, and I see that stocking up on brass would be an important factor. My main sticking point right now, is that the only suppressor that I currently have that would work with .325 projectiles is heavier than I’d want to use on a light rifle. Maybe I’ll just build the ultralight with 300wsm and pick up a nice used 325 to try out.

Ya I would go with the ultralight 300 wsm and pick up a used 325. You can find good deals on them because the lack of available ammunition, I got my 325 model 70 extreme weather for 750. If you want the correct head stamp then 325 brass can be hard to find, if not just neck up the plentiful 300 wsm brass.

I have a 300WSM in a rem 700... it doesn't feed/function nearly as well as either of the M70's I have in 325. The mag only hold 2 down vs 3 in the M70s. The mag box of the Rem is a touch shorter, and it jams occasionally (inside the magazine) which is a total cluster F. I like the 325, but its not anything better/different than the 300. 180gr vs 200gr at the same speed is not noticable in the field... but fun to have something different.

Verry underrated chambering indeed.
It is a shame there are not many mainstream bullet offerings.
I shoot an 8mm rem mag and have narrowed it down to two bullets.
Serra 220 and Barnes 200 TSX.
The 200 with a full case of RL26 averages at 3200 fps with a variance of under 25 fps.
The 220 full of rl26 is 3100 fps and about the same variance.
In my Rem 700, I can do a 5" group at 500 yards lasered ranged.
The 325 case is a bit smaller... Never try an 8mm Mauser bullet in the 325 and don't use bullets for an 8 mag or 325 in an 8 Mauser.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back