Caribou Gear

308 pressure issues

okie_hotrod

Hey guys, I'm looking for some ideas as to how to address some pressure issues I'm having with my dad's Howa 1500 in 308. I ran a standard ladder pressure test with virgin Hornady match brass, 150gr Accubonds, and CCI 200 primers starting at 46.5 gr of Varget and went up to 49.0. I know 49.0 is over the book max but I wanted to see what the rifle had to say about it. I also loaded them with a .030 jump. EVERY ROUND showed pressure signs from swipe to plunger marks. I thought maybe it was the brass or seating depth so I bought some factory Hornady custom loaded with 165gr BTSP and still got pressure signs. Anyone have a clue where to start? This is my dad's rifle that we're taking to Utah for our first elk trip so I really need to get this thing squared away so we can get some practice in before we go.

Primers flat and/or cratered as well? Sticky bolt? Any other signs? Any other brass to run through other than Hornady?

I went off of the Nosler data which lists 48.0 gr as max load for the 150gr Accubond. The primers looked fine and there wasn't any bolt stick. We've run Hornady and Federal through it but I don't have that brass in front of me at the moment.

I went off of the Nosler data which lists 48.0 gr as max load for the 150gr Accubond. The primers looked fine and there wasn't any bolt stick. We've run Hornady and Federal through it but I don't have that brass in front of me at the moment.

Hmm...mind posting some pics? I usually see primer flattening and cratering before sticky bolt or extractor marks. Extractor marks suggest to me your rifle wants something way lighter. Looks like Nosler updated their online data with 46.5 grains as max. I know it's tedious but it might be worth dropping back a few grains and trying again.

Agree with Buzz. Give us some "eye sight" so we can get some insight. Have you run any loads across a graph? That would be mega mileage into the prob.

I would jump over to the guys at Nosler.com and pose your problem. Great guys! They will usually jump on a pressure issue in a heart bet, and give you more info than you know what to do with !! (just be specific about your load, after all you ARE talking to the PRIMO Load Tech guys)

They have narrowed me down on several good loads before I ever got out to the range, in short order.................

You guys are probably right about the charges, the book I'm using is at least a version or 2 old. I don't have a chrono as it took a muzzleloader sabot to the faceplate so l planned on shooting it at distance for true velocity. I'm planning an anniversary dinner for the in law's tonight but I'll post some pics when I get a free min. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
My rifle likes 44 grs. of Varget. I often find increasing the powder charge makes little difference in the actual velocity. Often your actual muzzle velocity isn't close to what the manual says. Shoot what's accurate in your rifle.

Cur, is that with the 150 or 165 gr bullets? What rifle are you shooting and what kind of velocities?

Okie, my rifle is a Remington 700 SPS Tactical. I'm currently shooting 150 gr. Accubonds. If I remember right, it's right around 2700fps.
I used to try to have Hot rod loads for all of my rifles. With age I've come to appreciate a pleasant shooting rifle that consistently hits where I want it to.
My feeling is, that bull won't know whether that accubonds was going 2700 or 2850. Hit in the ribs, he'll be done. Good luck.

Nosler max with nosler brass is 46.5gr with a 150 accubond.

Was the hornady factory ammo the superformance? It's loaded right to the max.

Could be a tight chamber, or rough barrel. I'd back it off a bit and see what it does.

I shot a bunch of 150gt E-tips out of my 308 today. 45.5gr of Varget was money. Wish I could say the same for crappy partitions out of the 375H&H, but at least they hit the paper. :)

The Hornady Custom is loaded plenty warm as well.

I'm w/ Bambi. Back it down and don't hot-rod it.

Like other have said you are way over max and more than likely seeing that. With that said you could always try some 4064. I like Varget , 4064 and 4895 myself for the 308. My most accurate loads across the board have always come with 4064 and similar burn rate powders.

I looked back at the manual I was using and thought I'd share what I found. I guess it's more important than I thought to update reloading manuals.
20170611_142832.jpg

20170611_142829.jpg

Last edited:
Straight from Nosler's load data section of their website.

IMG_0344.jpg

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back