Caribou Gear Tarp

30-06 vs 300 WM in the real world?

I will agree that there is a difference between hunting and war, but to say that there's no crossover would be disingenuous. It's no more ethical to wound a human than to wound an animal in my eyes. Though both happen because we are human.

Notice I said, "take game at 400+ yards with 100% consistency". That's my precondition for being ethical at extended range.

Notice again I said, "bring enough gun". I am fully aware that there are physiological differences between a human's body and an animal's body.

My point was solely on how people are treated when the subject of "long range" hunting is introduced. Marksmanship to me is important at 25 yards or 1000+ yards, in the wheat field or the battlefield, regardless as to the target. And as long as the shooter is capable, I have no issue with them hunting at whatever range they deem ethical.

Again, I'm not trying to argue. War is not ethical. And as stated, "effective" in combat is considered to put the enemy out of commission or hinder the enemy's ability to continue to fight. Wound or kill in combat is "effective". Thus the line is drawn between hunting and combat.

I respect your opinion, but unless you have served, your basis may be skewed by what is commonly taught in civilian society.

I will kindly admit I am wrong once I receive return fire from deer, elk or moose.

I believe it to be from a movie called Gentleman Broncos. I had seen the preview years ago but never did watch the movie. I may have to now.

I've killed cow elk with both a .300wm and a 30-06. I like the .300wm for distance and a bit of wind. LIke has been said, bullet configuration makes a big difference. I am buying a 7mm mag and can't wait to see how that performs on elk. It seems like a nice compromise between the .300wm and 30-06.
I have shot them for years. Won’t do anything more than the -06. People tend to overthink this topic. Dead is dead.

I am looking for some real world information and experience comparing the 06 and the 300. In the next year or two I would like to have an all weather rifle built so my Super Grade can stay home on hunts where nasty weather is a real possibility. The big question is on caliber. The rifle could potentially be used on anything in the west from deer and elk to bear. I would also say a moose hunt or two in the north is a very real possibility at some point.

What have you seen as far as comparing the two? Impact on game? Difference in ranging ability? No real difference at all?

If you were picking between the two, which would you go with and why?

I’d pick 30-06 every single time. It recoils significantly leads than the .300 wm and with 165gr bullets, no elk in the world would eve know the difference.

I've killed cow elk with both a .300wm and a 30-06. I like the .300wm for distance and a bit of wind. LIke has been said, bullet configuration makes a big difference. I am buying a 7mm mag and can't wait to see how that performs on elk. It seems like a nice compromise between the .300wm and 30-06.

Prepare to not be blown away, it does exactly what the others do.

I have a 06 in browning A bolt and its my kinda go to gun for most big game many loads and factory ammo
And if your in a pinch for ammo lost in travel or miss place something like that its in almost every shop large or small even the small gas station/mini mart/sporting good stores

At age 16 I bought a .300 WM. Reason 1 was an Article in Petersen's Hunting calling it the perfect caliber for "All but the Biggest bears and African Dangerous game". Reason 2 was my father has a .264 WM. So I thought "belted" from birth. Reason 3 was that my local gunsmith had one used behind the counter and it felt good in my hands and came to my shoulder well.

I will tell folks that at 150 yards a 180 grain Nosler Partition still ends up under the skin of an elk on the opposite side with a .300 Win mag when shot through the ribs. I think my BIL's 30-06 had the same outcome. Now that I have to shoot copper, I may see some difference.

If you like the mags, the 30s are fine. I shot only 7 mags for years ( and they don't recoil all that badly), but I have found, as you have, that my -06, .308, .260s and Creeds kill just as well as my 7 mags, for what I do now. I have had both shoulders repaired and although I am not recoil shy, I just don't see a need to put up with a lot of recoil anymore. In fact, my -06 is really pretty brutal, so only gets shot to tests loads and sight in. If I decide to go on some more elk hunts, my 7 mags will still make the trip, but for all of my other hunting and general range time, the 6.5 calibers have taken my interest.

As was stated, bullets and their placement are more important than head stamps.

Saying a 7mm mag doesn't recoil badly is a natter of opinion. I've owned a 7mm mag and two 338 mags and what I found out about recoil is that with a lot of shooting you can learn to handle it. Both the 7mm mag and 338 have more recoil than I will ever bother with again. There is no magnum cartridge I would choose today.

You add about 20-30 yds on a maximum point blank range by going to a 300 mag. Doesnt seem like much for the added recoil, noise, etc... I would consider one if I consistently shot heavy for caliber bullets at larger game. View attachment 128037View attachment 128036

Depending on the weight of the bullet, I think your velocity may either be too fast for the .30-06 or too slow for the .300 win.

So, I get around 2850 with my .30-06 with a 168 gr bullet and I also get around 2950 with a 200 gr bullet out of my 300 Win.

So, if you are shooting the same bullet out of each; I am in question how it is only a 200 fps velocity gap.

From Wiki

30.06 vs 300

165 gr - 2800 fps vs 3300 fps

180 gr - 2700 fps vs 3150 fps

200 gr - 2550 fps vs 3000 fps

220 gr - 2500 fps vs 2875 fps

So, I think your numbers are a bit off, depending on the bullet the 300 is 375 - 500 fps faster according to wiki.

The MBPR is still probably similar give or take some yards , but the energy of the bullets is greater with the 300 win.

Energy = Velocity x Mass

Saying a 7mm mag doesn't recoil badly is a natter of opinion. I've owned a 7mm mag and two 338 mags and what I found out about recoil is that with a lot of shooting you can learn to handle it. Both the 7mm mag and 338 have more recoil than I will ever bother with again. There is no magnum cartridge I would choose today.
My 7 mags don't kick as badly as my -06. That thing is brutal, for some reason. I don't really like to spend much range time with any of them,other than to test a load, or check zero. It generally is not an issue while hunting, anyway, but practice sure is more pleasant with the lighter kickers.

300 WM. Period. They are no more created equal as animals are. When you find a bull that decides he doesn’t want to die, like a criminal on drugs that doesn’t think much of a 9mm. There’s a reason why we have the 10mm.
I know all you speed freaks go ahead..........like all the cool guys that pull up next to me in their Suburu WRX and other silly cars, then my big 4 door blows them away. It’s all about horsepower Period.
Nevermind. I think I have issues.

My 7 mags don't kick as badly as my -06. That thing is brutal, for some reason. I don't really like to spend much range time with any of them,other than to test a load, or check zero. It generally is not an issue while hunting, anyway, but practice sure is more pleasant with the lighter kickers.

I'm convinced stock design and weight has a fair amount to do with recoil. The two kickingest rifles I've shot were a 243w in steyr model L and 270W in a-bolt.
My sauer 202 and sako 85 in 300wm, and 7mmRM were far more pleasant to shoot. My current 9.3x62 in CZ 550 is infinitely nicer to shoot than that 243, still feel it!

I own and hunt/ shoot many rifles.
I have had the pleasure of being a crop damage permit shooter for many years on many farms, taking deer at various distance from 10+- yrds to a little over 600yrds.
I can attest from personal experience that the 30-06 with 165gr bullets is a fantastic all around gun.
But, contrary to what some may think, it can't do what the 300 wm can.
If you want dependable performance at "ALL" practical distances out to at least 600yrds, the 300 Winchester Magnum is a great tool for people that have the skill to use it well.
Shoots flatter for less likely error on range of targets and game. When used with the 180+ weight bullets, especially the 200gr, it is probably a world wide all around tool. That gets it done in just about any scenario, on just about any type of game.

I love the good 30-06 cartridge. But if you want to shoot live he at 400+ yrds and know you will get good penetration, at steep angles, bone, and reasonable brush..........
I take my 300 on hunts I travel a long way for, and for big bodied animals, and especially any place I might be shooting across wide open flat land or across canyons and areas where it may be a once in a lifetime shot.
I don't think the 300 has super recoil compared to a good 180gr load in the 30-06. But it is more and it needs a rifle that has the weight to make it shootable or be braked, or both for alot of people.
A lightweight 30-06 isn't a pleasure to shoot. But it's doable.
A lightweight 300 win mag is torture for me, especially after all of life's little endurance tests I have been through.
As I have gotten older I have now placed a brake on my 300 and hate the now must for ear protection. But oh my, what a joy it makes it again for me now.
To each their own.......
But if you have the skill to hit small targets at 500+yrds, or want to develope it for real world hunting, then the 300 win mag is probably the most practical choice, especially for really big game.
If you don't see groups smaller than 6-8" at 200yrds, then even a gold plated Lazer rifle isn't worth the trouble to buy.
The 06 is certainly capable of a great deal of performance in skilled hands, but will never penetrate like the 300 win mag at 500+yrds.
An animal with only one lung will die, but it's amazing how long it may take, or how far they may run.
I have definitely learned the hard way about limitations.
Though, sometimes you don't know where the limit actually is till you blow past it. In the dark the edge of a cliff could be found the extra rouph way.
Best carry a big enough flash light.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back