30-06 vs 300 WM in the real world?

Unless you have interest in hunting 400+ yards consistently I’d go ‘06.

If you have an 'interest' at hunting at 400+ yards, you need to quit watching sniper movies and learn how to hunt. And if you can't shoot an '06 accurately at up to 600 yards or so, bumping to a .300mag isn't going to change that either...

I have rifles chambered in both, and the 300wsm is an awesome, flat shooting caliber, and I feel that the recoil is very manageable in my browning A-bolt. Ammo is of course on the pricey side.
The 30-06 is my lightweight Rem 7600 carbine and is my go to whitetail deer rifle in northern NH and ME. Probably not doing any 300 yard shots with a peep sight, but with Remington core-lokt ammo under $20 a box, I shoot this gun a lot. Off hand, kneeling, quick shots at moving targets, it’s a blast!
Really can’t go wrong with either caliber.

I was being snarky about the 6.5, but really, if it were me I'd probably go -06. I'm actually a .308 guy but I oscillated between a .300 WM and .308 for a lot of years. Ultimately, experience bore out that the .308 was adequate for everything I hunt in MT, and lighter, and I was tired of getting beat up by the .300 WM. That's me. I'm kinda a fan of .270s as well, but I'm 47y/o been hunting for almost 3 decades at this point, and I'm really not too interested in Magnums anymore. They're great for what they do, but I don't find them necessary for what I do.

As for moose, people have used the -06 on moose for a 100 years. My father-in-law grew up in Fairbanks, he always hunted moose with a .270 or a .35 Remington.

If you like the mags, the 30s are fine. I shot only 7 mags for years ( and they don't recoil all that badly), but I have found, as you have, that my -06, .308, .260s and Creeds kill just as well as my 7 mags, for what I do now. I have had both shoulders repaired and although I am not recoil shy, I just don't see a need to put up with a lot of recoil anymore. In fact, my -06 is really pretty brutal, so only gets shot to tests loads and sight in. If I decide to go on some more elk hunts, my 7 mags will still make the trip, but for all of my other hunting and general range time, the 6.5 calibers have taken my interest.

As was stated, bullets and their placement are more important than head stamps.

No denying that I am a huge fan of 30-06. It has taken every species on north america and plenty across the pond. With less recoil, ammo availability at mom & pop shops and virtually anywhere and a wide range of projectile weights, it's hard to beat an '06.

If you have the skills to take game at 400+ yards with 100% consistency then who am I to say that you shouldn't do it. We send young men into war with enough training to effectively engage enemy combatants at long range; yet when we come to hunting, someone with the same skill is chastised for their "unethical" behavior. I don't have those skills, so I get closer.

Regardless as to how you hunt or how far you take a shot, bring enough gun to do what you want to do. For me the .30-06 will take care of anything at the distances I'm comfortable with taking shots at. If I was hunting heavier game where it would be nice to have the extra energy or perhaps the chance for a shot would mean it may be a longer distance, I would move into something else. Then I would practice as much as possible at as many distances as I could to build confidence and data for what those distances require to make consistent hits.

Ask Carlos Hathcock about 30-06's ;)
He actually liked the 50BMG better...

Lots of other calibers out there that get the job done. But if you like the 30 cal, nothing wrong with that either.
6.5X55 has been killing moose since it came out.

If distance with 30 cal is your thing, then bypass the 300 Win Mag, and go straight to the Lazzeroni 7.82 Warbird.

I have used both for larger game and in use them each in accordance with the conditions of the hunt. If I want the best effect with a heavy bullet it is the 300 WM, but if the range is a bit shorter or the bullet is a bit lighter the 30-06 is the choice. I do not use the 300 WM with bullets lighter than 180 grains, and that is the upper limit for my use with a 30-06.

If you have the skills to take game at 400+ yards with 100% consistency then who am I to say that you shouldn't do it. We send young men into war with enough training to effectively engage enemy combatants at long range; yet when we come to hunting, someone with the same skill is chastised for their "unethical" behavior.

I was trained to effectively "engage" targets with an M4 and at even more extended ranges with an M24SWS. There is a difference between combat than hunting ( although the tactical timmy's out there will tell you different). Wounding an enemy combatant is still an effective engagement, wounding game is not. The physical properties of the human body vs. a big game animal are completely different. Let's not confuse the two. Not arguing, but in actuality, the only similarity is the fact that a person is carrying a weapon and can use some knowledge of what they have learned previously about ballistics. Hunting is hunting, combat is combat.

I've owned and shot both extensively. I'll give you one example that I think says enough. My brother and I were diy hunting tahr in NZ. We got onto a small mob and decided to both take one. He was using a 30-06 I was using a 300WM. Distance was 550m (~600 yds). We both dialled in, took our time and he fired, then as they milled I fired. Both tahr dropped in their tracks without taking a step.

For what it's worth I sold my 7mmRM and my 2 300WM and now run a 30-06 for backpack hunting.

Some may say that once you get to elk sized game it may change. I can't speak for them myself but it's well documented in literature from NZ and Australian hunters in the wapiti days that elk are pretty easy to put down compared to something like a sambar. And at 400-500 m sambar still die quickly from a well placed 30-06 round.

300WM owners (including me at one time) like to talk about the knock down power because of it's superior ballistics. I was gradually worn down by the anecdotal evidence I consistently saw over years and realised if I was watching the hunts before my eyes as filmed hunts I would never have been able to pick the difference between the two.

My 06 is easier on the shoulder (not that that was a concern of mine) and is cheaper to load with in my opinion no real world downside.

I will agree that there is a difference between hunting and war, but to say that there's no crossover would be disingenuous. It's no more ethical to wound a human than to wound an animal in my eyes. Though both happen because we are human.

Notice I said, "take game at 400+ yards with 100% consistency". That's my precondition for being ethical at extended range.

Notice again I said, "bring enough gun". I am fully aware that there are physiological differences between a human's body and an animal's body.

My point was solely on how people are treated when the subject of "long range" hunting is introduced. Marksmanship to me is important at 25 yards or 1000+ yards, in the wheat field or the battlefield, regardless as to the target. And as long as the shooter is capable, I have no issue with them hunting at whatever range they deem ethical.

I have shot everything from a coyote, antelope, deer, to an elk with my 30-06. My youngest son shot a bull moose with the 30-06, so I wouldn't let the size of the animal be the deciding factor. It truly depends on what you want out of the gun. If you want to reach out and touch something … 300 WM, if not … 30-06. A 30-06 is probably less expensive than a 300 WM.

One thing not mentioned is the old 30-06 is a pretty damn powerful cartridge and isnt sedate in the recoil department with full power 180gr handloads.
One of the reasons I dont use the 30-06 is because if I am going to deal with that sort of recoil I would just as soon shoot a 300 mag of some sort. If not I just pick up a 25-06,7mm-08 or 6.5 creedmor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back