Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

30-06 vs 300 WM in the real world?

Depending on the weight of the bullet, I think your velocity may either be too fast for the .30-06 or too slow for the .300 win.

So, I get around 2850 with my .30-06 with a 168 gr bullet and I also get around 2950 with a 200 gr bullet out of my 300 Win.

So, if you are shooting the same bullet out of each; I am in question how it is only a 200 fps velocity gap.

From Wiki

30.06 vs 300

165 gr - 2800 fps vs 3300 fps

180 gr - 2700 fps vs 3150 fps

200 gr - 2550 fps vs 3000 fps

220 gr - 2500 fps vs 2875 fps

So, I think your numbers are a bit off, depending on the bullet the 300 is 375 - 500 fps faster according to wiki.

The MBPR is still probably similar give or take some yards , but the energy of the bullets is greater with the 300 win.

Energy = Velocity x Mass
My 30-06 chronos at 2950 with 150 accubonds. (Not a +p load, close to max with ramshot big game).

We used my chrono testing my friends 300 loads and his rifle was pushing them at 3150 fps.
Just checked, and you are right. Hornady lists 150 gr american whitetail loads at 3275fps. So the box says they are faster than we chronoed. My friend doesnt really push max loads, he loads more for accuracy.

Either way, not a huge difference in MPBR. As you said, bigger bullets at longer ranges will highlight the difference.

I'm convinced stock design and weight has a fair amount to do with recoil. The two kickingest rifles I've shot were a 243w in steyr model L and 270W in a-bolt.
My sauer 202 and sako 85 in 300wm, and 7mmRM were far more pleasant to shoot. My current 9.3x62 in CZ 550 is infinitely nicer to shoot than that 243, still feel it!
Yep. I have shot a couple of .270s that were not pleasant.

I had the same decision a little while back. I chose the 30-06 and bought another one because I liked it so much

My 30-06 chronos at 2950 with 150 accubonds. (Not a +p load, close to max with ramshot big game).

We used my chrono testing my friends 300 loads and his rifle was pushing them at 3150 fps.
Just checked, and you are right. Hornady lists 150 gr american whitetail loads at 3275fps. So the box says they are faster than we chronoed. My friend doesnt really push max loads, he loads more for accuracy.

Either way, not a huge difference in MPBR. As you said, bigger bullets at longer ranges will highlight the difference.

It is also an energy thing down range.

A lot of people are saying that if you shoot 500 yards with a .30-06 it will be the same as a .300 with a 168 grain bullet and that is incorrect.

With a 168 gr bullet at 500 yards out of a .30-06 is at 1585 ft/lbs at 2850 fps.

The same bullet 168 gr bullet out of a 300 win at the same range is 2062 ft/lbs at 3200 fps.

Due to a higher velocity, you have more energy down range.

Which can be useful depending on the location of your shot.

A little more energy and velocity with a copper bullet in the shoulder, isn't a bad thing especially since some of the manufactures suggest a minimum velocity for expansion for the bullet.

Nosler suggests 1800 fps as a minimum velocity on the E-Tip for expansion.

For the 168 gr 300 win that would be a max distance of 850 yards.

For the 168 gr 30-06 that would be a max distance of 650 yards.

If you are under 500 yards, then it is probably ok to use either.

I like both, but they are not the same.

I'm convinced stock design and weight has a fair amount to do with recoil. The two kickingest rifles I've shot were a 243w in steyr model L and 270W in a-bolt.
My sauer 202 and sako 85 in 300wm, and 7mmRM were far more pleasant to shoot. My current 9.3x62 in CZ 550 is infinitely nicer to shoot than that 243, still feel it!
True that - I had a 7mm-08...HAD. Sold it because I preferred the ability to maintain sight picture with my 7mm Mag. Completely related to rifle design and barrel weight: 7mm-08 was a 6.5lb Browning X-Bolt and 7mm Mag is an 8.5lb Rem 700 Sendero “laser gun”.
We need a separate “recoil” thread...

I chose to split the difference and build a 300 Sherman. It is the 270 case blown out to to a 45 degree .30 and almost straight tapered. It will run a 180g bullet a little above 3000fps.

It is almost a ballistics twin to the 300 WSM. If you don’t want to fire form cases to have something different the WSM is a good choice for you.

I have 4 06's and one 300 wm. If you reload get the 300 you can load it down . BEST all around caliber in my opinion is the 06. Just remember it only take a small hole in the RIGHT SPOT !

I shoot a 300 because my dad has a 30-06 and I didn't want to share bullets! Also makes me feel like a big man who shoots big bullets. Had a 308 before. Both make holes in stuff, both recoil almost identically. The 300 is lighter so it goes with me on my hunts. 308 is getting turned into my coyote/plinking gun. I say shoot what you like.

Great thread! I have not shot a 300WM and only used my 30-06 back east for whitetail.. I love my 30-06 but if I ever buy another one I would go 24" barrel, mine is a 22" barrel. I am always considering a 300 magnum or 7mm rem mag. To echo everyone else, if the shots are under 400 yards the 30-06 is a fine choice. Long range shooting which I would not do at game but targets, yeah, a 300WM might make sense. Oh if you are going to discuss Creed more you may like the Creedmoors. :p

Great thread! I have not shot a 300WM and only used my 30-06 back east for whitetail.. I love my 30-06 but if I ever buy another one I would go 24" barrel, mine is a 22" barrel. I am always considering a 300 magnum or 7mm rem mag. To echo everyone else, if the shots are under 400 yards the 30-06 is a fine choice. Long range shooting which I would not do at game but targets, yeah, a 300WM might make sense. Oh if you are going to discuss Creed more you may like the Creedmoors. :p

For targets over 400y you are much better off with .308Win, 6mmBR family (up to 650 or so), 6.5 creedmoor, 6.5-284, or .284Win.

I agree with mtmuley, why??

Hmmm I got to look into the Hancock
claim you made. Although if true, it would make sense; being the 50 cal. was in his day (and still is today), the flattest shooting, most effective long range cartridge. Considering optics weren’t as good, and snipers didn’t have as much forgiveness for errors shooting from closer ranges, he’d likely have more appreciation for a 50 cal.

Saw that response on an interview he did.

I've killed cow elk with both a .300wm and a 30-06. I like the .300wm for distance and a bit of wind. LIke has been said, bullet configuration makes a big difference. I am buying a 7mm mag and can't wait to see how that performs on elk. It seems like a nice compromise between the .300wm and 30-06.

If you ask Randy Selby the 7 Mag is a great elk gun. Personally I hope to aquire one in the Howa Randy Newberg line when it comes out in that caliber.

I have always been underwhelmed by the 7mm Rem Mag and even the 7mm Weatherby Mag. If I am going to deal with that sort of muzzle blast and recoil I'd just as soon have a 300 Win/WSM/RUM.

I was a true 7RM fan for several years until I got my 270. I learned the 270 could provide the same exact terminal performance, all but the same bullet trajectory with less recoil/muzzle blast while on a much better platform for an open country rifle. I sold my last 7RM in February.

If I feel I need more than a 270 with a 130 grain bullet, I step up to a 30-06 with a heavy rock. If I feel I need more than a 30-06, the step up will be significantly more than a 300 mag.

This is such a great thread for a guy like myself that really don't know much about ballistics details but am trying to learn. Also I'm preparing to invest in a higher quality rifle so im trying to choose a caliber that I can hunt both smaller type game (deer/antelope) and also bigger game elk and hopefully moose someday. I seem to be torn between the 7mm-08, 30.06, and 300wm.

This is such a great thread for a guy like myself that really don't know much about ballistics details but am trying to learn. Also I'm preparing to invest in a higher quality rifle so im trying to choose a caliber that I can hunt both smaller type game (deer/antelope) and also bigger game elk and hopefully moose someday. I seem to be torn between the 7mm-08, 30.06, and 300wm.

I am not anti-magnum, but you will be much better served with anything between a 6.5-308 caliber cartridge for your first higher quality rifle. You will enjoy shooting it much better, which means you will shoot it more, which means you will become a better shot. Magnums are not needed for elk. Putting a bullet where it needs to go is. For what you are wanting, something in the ballpark of a 7-08 or 270 will serve you very well.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back