Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

2024 NCAA wrestling March Madness!

The #1 seed goes down at 125. 3 Overtime matches in the 4 quarterfinals matches. In the semifinals there will be an 8 seed vs 12 and 3 vs 10 seed. This weight has been crazy all year!

174 Quarterfinals next. Mekhi Lewis vs Carter Starrocci. Maybe the match of the tournament.
That was a very boring match. Starrocci wins 4-0 with a first period takedown and rideout. I don't think Lewis changed his level until the third period making absolutely no full attempts to get to Starrocci's legs.

That was a very boring match. Starrocci wins 4-0 with a first period takedown and rideout. I don't think Lewis changed his level until the third period making absolutely no full attempts to get to Starrocci's legs.
PSU is once again running away with the championship-essentially a done deal before the medal rounds today. Amazing strength and depth in their wrestling room.

It’s going to be another awesome day for wrestling fans!

Oh, and my son is a WVU wrestler—they have two All Americans and are loaded for bear in the coming years.

Cheers!

PSU is once again running away with the championship-essentially a done deal before the medal rounds today. Amazing strength and depth in their wrestling room.

It’s going to be another awesome day for wrestling fans!

Oh, and my son is a WVU wrestler—they have two All Americans and are loaded for bear in the coming years.

Cheers!
PSU secured the championship after the semifinals. They need 2 of 6 to win tonight to set the all time team scoring record.

Congratulations to your son and WVU!

2-10 in the team race are only separated by 12 points right now. It’s good to have the team race this tight. we will see some of these 5 and 6 year guys who probably would have forfeited out after they got beat keep wrestling to help their team.

I'm excited for tonight. I want to see Fix win one. That PSU mesenbrink is fun to watch, high pace.

After the medal rounds I took a bit of time to look over the brackets. In the finals tonight there are 6 number 1 seeds and 4 number 2 seeds wrestling. 1 and 2 seeds will face each other in the finals at 141, 157, and 197. The lowest seeded wrestler in the finals is the #10 seed at heavyweight and the #9 seed at 174. The lowest seed to place was at 141 pounds; the #26 seed finished 8th. There were four wrestlers seeded 20 or lower that became an All American with the highest being the 20 seed at 165 finishing 6th. At 125 four of the top eight placers were seeded 12 or below and the 1,4,6, and 7 seeds did not place in the top 8. 133 was the only weight that the top 8 seeds placed in the top 8, but not in order.

After the medal rounds I took a bit of time to look over the brackets. In the finals tonight there are 6 number 1 seeds and 4 number 2 seeds wrestling. 1 and 2 seeds will face each other in the finals at 141, 157, and 197. The lowest seeded wrestler in the finals is the #10 seed at heavyweight and the #9 seed at 174. The lowest seed to place was at 141 pounds; the #26 seed finished 8th. There were four wrestlers seeded 20 or lower that became an All American with the highest being the 20 seed at 165 finishing 6th. At 125 four of the top eight placers were seeded 12 or below and the 1,4,6, and 7 seeds did not place in the top 8. 133 was the only weight that the top 8 seeds placed in the top 8, but not in order.
And another championship in the books…looking forward to Philly in ‘25.

Cheers!

And another championship in the books…looking forward to Philly in ‘25.

Cheers!
Lots of good matches throughout the tournament. This tournament will go down in history for most points scored by PSU, 172.5. And by widest margin of victory, 100. It’s also the first time 2 athletes won their fourth NCAA title in the same year.

I think something needs to be done for stalling, yet again. If the only direction a wrestler goes is backwards, that’s stalling. If someone kicks out of a takedown attempt on the edge of the mat they are called for stalling, but if they kick out of a takedown in the middle of the mat it’s not stalling.

I also think what constitutes a takedown needs to be changed. I saw several situations where the aggressor had both legs, head to the outside, and the defender sat down on their hips but the defender had a half ass crotch lift so they didn’t call a takedown.

The transfer portal. I don’t like it. I like that student athletes can easily transfer schools if they are truly not comfortable with the school they originally attended, but there are a lot of rumors of who’s offering the most NIL money and what seems to me to be tampering and recruiting of athletes who are already at a school. This isn’t just a wrestling problem, I think it’s NCAA wide in all sports to some degree.

All in all it was a good tournament. The level of wrestling from all the conferences is far and above what it was 10 or 15 years ago. With true freshman ready to compete for a national championship.

Went to the Pittsburgh Wrestling Classic today. There are going to be some NCAA all Americans coming from this years teams. It was the 50th anniversary and they recognized all past participants definitely a nice gesture. The participants today got it a lot better than we did 25 years ago. I look at all the media nowadays compared to then and am jealous. We used to essentially just be able to reference records. Now they can watch dang near every match opponent ever wrestled.

Since there’s a lot of Montana guys here. Mike and Bill are characters. I talked to the their dad once in the Iowa wrestling room and he was telling me about a mountain lion hunt where Mike climbed the tree to get closer to the trees lion.

Last edited:
Back