Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2021 NCAA wrestling championships

Gellar

St. Louis! I’ve been to the ncaas many times in STL but not this year. I will be watching all the rounds on ESPN channels. Here’s who I got:
125: lee maj dec heinselman
133 : fix dec rby
141: eierman dec Rivera
149: O’Connor dec Sasso
157: deakin dec Carr
165: lewis dec wentzel
174: kemmerer dec starrocci
184: Hidlay dec keckeisen
197: schultz dec Ferrari
285: Steveson dec Parris

I think Iowa will win the team race with PSU in 2nd. It is very possible that Iowa has 10 All Americans, but 2or 3 of their wrestlers are known for crapping the bed and you may get a high Aa or a blood round loser. It is possible the B1G has 10 national champs.

I’m a Penn State alum, so I’m more familiar with our guys and the B1G than the rest of the country. Ultimately I think it’s Iowa’s team title to lose, as much as it pains me to say that. But we’re a lot younger than Iowa, so next year will be interesting, particularly with the extra year of eligibility. All of thst

Don’t think Keckeisen gets past Brooks unless Brooks continues to be bothered by the injury.

Wentzel might get past Valencia, but he will have his hands full.

I like that you don’t have Marinelli winning a title.

Amine at 197 is a beast, but I haven’t seen a lot of Ferrari or Schultz matches this year.

I’m a Penn State alum, so I’m more familiar with our guys and the B1G than the rest of the country. Ultimately I think it’s Iowa’s team title to lose, as much as it pains me to say that. But we’re a lot younger than Iowa, so next year will be interesting, particularly with the extra year of eligibility. All of thst

Don’t think Keckeisen gets past Brooks unless Brooks continues to be bothered by the injury.

Wentzel might get past Valencia, but he will have his hands full.

I like that you don’t have Marinelli winning a title.

Amine at 197 is a beast, but I haven’t seen a lot of Ferrari or Schultz matches this year.
-Marinelli has not looked dominant this year. He is susceptible to that blast double if Lewis is 90% healthy. And has blown it 2 years in a row.
-Anthony Valencia is no zahid Valencia.
-Brooks has a very good chance to be in the finals and needs to be if the B1G is going to have 10 champs.

It’s going to be interesting. I think there will be upsets the way the seeds are this year. There are a lot of 1 loss or undefeated wrestlers because of how few of matches they wrestled and the schedule they had.

Iowa will be tough to beat. I'll be paying attention to the Montana kids. I'm excited to see Fix back.

I know I don't belong in the same conversation, but hope to see a couple of my Oregon State guys win some matches. One of the disappointments of covid was that I had taken my boys to watch wrestling a couple of times, and they were enjoying it. Hopefully we get to where we can watch in person again soon.

QQ

Iowa will be tough to beat. I'll be paying attention to the Montana kids. I'm excited to see Fix back.
There are some tough kids from Montana. Jarett degen at 149 is seeded 18, he could easily win his first match and have some upsets on the backside if he loses to O’Connor in the second round.
The Zadick brothers from Great Falls were some of toughest ever!

I know I don't belong in the same conversation, but hope to see a couple of my Oregon State guys win some matches. One of the disappointments of covid was that I had taken my boys to watch wrestling a couple of times, and they were enjoying it. Hopefully we get to where we can watch in person again soon.

QQ
The Willits are tough. The one drew Real Woods and I know he already beat him but that is still a tough draw.

Oregon State traditionally has been a force in the NCAA. They finished second this year in the PAC 12 and have six seeded at the NCAA. In my career (mid 70s) there I was simply cannon fodder to a couple of All Americans (ziebart and evenhus) at my weight and even wrestled up against Crumley.
No less than four times during my police career what I learned wrestling at Oregon State literally saved my life in the middle of the night. Go Beavs!

QQ
I thought I followed wrestling but I don’t have a clue compared to these guys. I believe it was you seeking information on access in the Blues for spring Bear. We’ve just been getting hammered with snow. Ive still got two feet and I’m at 3500 feet.

I like Sasso at 149. The rest are all pretty solid. Marinelli should win, but very likely won't.
Couldn’t agree more with Marinelli. Sasso is capable of winning it all but I think if someone can get a takedown on him they have a good shot at winning the match.

There are some tough kids from Montana. Jarett degen at 149 is seeded 18, he could easily win his first match and have some upsets on the backside if he loses to O’Connor in the second round.
The Zadick brothers from Great Falls were some of toughest ever!
Yes I hope Degen gets in the top 8, I think he may have been fighting some injuries this year.
Weber also is wrestling good right now and is seeded 9th.
Filius is seeded 18th also, but he's a tough kid if he's beat it'll be earned.

I agree with Zadicks.

Yes I hope Degen gets in the top 8, I think he may have been fighting some injuries this year.
Weber also is wrestling good right now and is seeded 9th.
Filius is seeded 18th also, but he's a tough kid if he's beat it'll be earned.

I agree with Zadicks.
Iowa has a freshman from Bozeman on their roster. I think he was a 4 time state champion. Hopefully in a few years he will be a force to reckon with.

It’s going to be interesting. I think there will be upsets the way the seeds are this year. There are a lot of 1 loss or undefeated wrestlers because of how few of matches they wrestled and the schedule they had.
Yeah. And there are some wrestlers and schools/conferences who had almost twice as many matches and duals than others. Will be interesting for sure.

Re: Valencia, oh I know. Got to watch Zahid live when he came to Rec Hall in 2018 and got beat by Mark Hall (who I really would have liked to see come back this year, along with Vincenzo Joseph, but I digress).

10 am this morning! I have a zoom conference all day so I will be muted and no video for that on one computer screen, the ESPN3 mat feed on one screen and Kxic 800 radio broadcast on the iHeartRadio app!

I thought I followed wrestling but I don’t have a clue compared to these guys. I believe it was you seeking information on access in the Blues for spring Bear. We’ve just been getting hammered with snow. Ive still got two feet and I’m at 3500 feet.
When you live in Iowa wrestling trumps all other sports! Even with the Iowa basketball team being very good our news station will have live reports from STL at all news broadcasts most likely.

I haven't followed college wrestling since I graduated college so none of the names ring a bell, but when I hear about NCAA championships it reminds me of when our college wrestling coach thought it would be a good idea to bring us (a D3 school) to a D1 tournament. There was a national champion there who went up against one of our freshman and accidentally pinned himself tilting for back points. The freshman thought it was cool until he realized we had to wait hours for his next match while all the other teammates lost and were ready for the bus ride home. I imagine at these championships, wrestlers are less cocky when they go against equally good opponents and don't make such foolish mistakes.

This thread might finally get me back to watching collegiate wrestling.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back